Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: In my opinion, recievers are a problem.

I don't think RamsFan16 is saying that our receivers are soft, but when was the last time one of our receivers gained a significant amount of YAC? In 1999 it was frequent. After they got paid....not so much. Hey, I'm not going to blame a guy trying to extend his career, but come on, lower your shoulder once in awhile, stiff arm someone, TRY AND GET SOME MORE YARDAGE! You have to admit, our guys go down more often than Paris Hilton on the internet!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I don't think RamsFan16 is saying that our receivers are soft, but when was the last time one of our receivers gained a significant amount of YAC? In 1999 it was frequent. After they got paid....not so much. Hey, I'm not going to blame a guy trying to extend his career, but come on, lower your shoulder once in awhile, stiff arm someone, TRY AND GET SOME MORE YARDAGE! You have to admit, our guys go down more often than Paris Hilton on the internet!
    Sure they go down a little more than we would like to see, but RF16 suggesting that they are a problem in our offense just makes no sense, you have to agree. Trying to argue that Holt is not a playmaker is ludicrous. Six straight years of over 1300 yards (over 1300 yards in only 14 games last season) he averages 15.3 yards a catch and is good for at least 10 TDs a year give or take 1. Bruce's numbers speak for themself and when he was hurt last year Kevin Curtis did a good job filling in. The argument that the WRs are part of our problem just doesn't hold water.

Some of us said in the pre season that our O Line was going to be a problem, and now with the injuries it's an even bigger problem than already suspected. Along with that I will buy learning the new system for Bulger and the O argument for now, and people calling for Bulger's head (different thread) are going overboard. Those are our real problems.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Nope.

Agree with rb, new sytem and O-line that is banged up are our main issues.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Ramsfan16 is absolutely entitled to his opinion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the rams have many problems. The wide receivers arent one of them. Its that simple. Note that wide receivers are in large part a function of the time the qb has to throw. Its tough for them to make big plays down the field when the qb is getting sacked repeatedly.

I think your sense of history is just way off base. Holt was and is a big time playmaker. The stats bear that out over time, drawing conclusions off two games is the same type of thing certain people i wont name did during the preseason. I would prefer to draw the conclusions based on holts performance over the last several years. As for bruce, he may not be at his peak, but he has looked darn good to me for the first two games.

Holt was open for a td on a long pass yesterday and bulger missed him. If the throw is on target, its a td and then holt is a playmaker in your view?

This is the kind of post that while certainly within anyones right to post anything and any opinion they want draws the wraith and ire of those who have been watching rams football for many years. It is based on a statistically insignificant amount of data relative to the available data and it defies logic.

If you want to complain about the interior line blocking and our inability to gain a yard on third and short without throwing, that is a legitimate point. Complaining about the wide receivers on this team just makes no sense of any kind. It defies logic and indicates an impulsive comment that lacks any perspective on history.

Anyalysis is not based solely on what happened in the last two weeks in anything in life.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Alot of the issues addressed in this thread point to recognition. The receivers, O-line, runningback/s and most importantly the QB must be able to read the defense. The pressure put on by the the less than formidable Whiners D surprised everyone including us the fans. The lack of adjustment resulted in inaccuracy by Bulger and the receivers not being open quick enough.

Just one mans opinion.

:r :l :r

Rambos is offline Registered User

I get what the kid is saying, just look at how Moss is doing now. He is not a great route runner, Moss just goes deep and out jumps the CB and comes down with the ball.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I don't think RamsFan16 is saying that our receivers are soft
    Quote Originally Posted by RF16
    Our recievers are what you call 'soft'
    Oddly enough, I think maybe he is.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mtmagpie View Post
    Yup, the Chambers-Holt comparison lost me too...sounds to me like a bunch of people on these boards are not just hitting the panic button-they are standing on it and jumping up and down! I know losing to the ***** hurt, but it ONLY GAME!!!

:l
    First thing at work this morning is a barage of emails asking, "Who's your daddy?" Yes, I work in 'iner country and live in 'Faders' land.

I thought this board was about Rams fans. I thought all were allowed to express their opinions and ask questions. I stopped logging on for a while when I read so much negative comments towards those who questioned the team and it's leadership.

It seems that some just lay in waiting for others to post a comment that is controversial so they can bash them. Is this all about 'group think?' Is this a cult? If that's the case, kick me off this ship; I'll swim to shore on my own.

LDJOHN55
    Disgusted with all of the bashing of fellow fans

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

As far as I can see the problem is not the receivers, nor Bulger. They've all been hugely successful in the past, making big plays too. I blame 2 things, first the O-line, it was starting to decay before this season, and that has only continued and worsened. Second the playcalling, it's been predictable and dull. No defense is scared when all we complete are 10-12 yard passes at the most, we can't seem to go over the top and make the defenses respect the big play - again that is partly because our O-line has a hard time supporting 7-step drops like they used to, but it seems to me that playcalling in itself is also to blame. One thing I think we should try more is play action, we have a pretty good ground game, Jackson should scare some defenses I think, why not try and make them bite on the play action more? Also as I've mentioned before, how about lobbing a jump ball to Klopfenstein, especially in the red zone, he's a big tall guy, try it out. Throw in some more screens too, combined with traps and play action I think we'd make some yardage on that. Our WR routes haven't looked very good either I think, I'm thinking in terms of using one route to draw defenders away from an area where you have another route going through to create some room, tactically like that, we haven't been as good as we used to. Now I've mentioned quite a few different ideas, but basically we absolutely need to be less predictable I think, we need to mix it up.

If I were to make any conclusion on which area to focus on in the next draft, it sure as heck wouldn't be receiver. I'd be very tempted to go for a guard in the first round, get the best guard in the entire draft class - a big evil monster to maul opposing D-lines

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

LDJOHN55
    Disgusted with all of the bashing of fellow fans
    John, take a step back. What is actually being bashed here, the fan or the opinion of the fan? And if opinions are above being bashed, then wouldn't that lead to the cultish group think you denounce?

All viewpoints are welcome here, as are their counter points.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Holt is the best route runner in NFL look at this TD, he mades amazing separations and can find the good spot to be open. IMO the priority for the Rams in offense is to build a great Oline, but they need time because OLs need to play together.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Holt is the best route runner in NFL look at this TD, he mades amazing separations and can find the good spot to be open. IMO the priority for the Rams in offense is to build a great Oline, but they need time because OLs need to play together.
    The O line had nothing to do with some of the missed opportunities between Bulger and Holt. Torry is a very good WR. However, there were at least 3, if not four occasions where Holt broke one way, and Bulger threw another. This happened with Holt more than any other receiver. It never happened with Bruce (the guy is amazing at his age). On two deep routes, Holt came off the line fast...slowed up against the DB...then took off when Bulger threw the ball to him. Unfortunately, Holt at that point was trying to play catch up. Why he slowed up in his pattern, I don't know. All I know is that Bulger was throwing to the spot where Holt SHOULD HAVE BEEN had he continued to run the pattern at full speed. It was weird.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

the talent leval of the team is fine and in a month we will all be smiling as the rams go back to scoring 30 points a game...
    I am not sure a Linehan offense is designed to go 30, especially if he wants to run more. This, of course, means the defense has to be able to slow down opponents. I am not aware of Linehan's previous offenses but don't think I rmember any mention of them being high scoring.

I am far from throwing in the proverbial towel and won't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I have gotten used to rooting for a winning team (finally, again) and am not ready for excersises in futility by my chosen team.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd hate to see you at the drive-through around noon.
    Brilliant, LMAO
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12