Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: In My Own Words: Steven Jackson

Wow, some interesting comments around here. I'm curious why some fans are so quick to jump on Jackson. I've read over the initial post and, maybe it's just me, but I don't see where he said ANYTHING that could be construed as outlandish and arrogant.

For those who see his responses as:

A) comparing himself to Payton, and/or
    B) calling himself Franchise

would you please show me, because I'm just not getting it.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Milan is offline Registered User

What the hell is everyone pissed at Jackson for?

He hasn't compared himself to Walter Payton in any way. He said he admires him. He never said he gave himself a nickname he said it is his nickname.

So why are you all so mad at Jackson. Is he not living up to your Marshall Faulk or Eric Dickerson expectations when he got 100 less carries than both of them in his first starting season? Apparantly all of you that are mad at him have been spoiled by hall of fame runningbacks and snap at a player in his second season with great potential.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    I would pick Kelly Clarkson.
    I'd be torn between Jessica Simpson and Utter but I do think in the end Utter would win. When Jessica asked the Secretary of the Interior how was it to decorate the White House I just had to bust out laughing.

On the Jackson note, could it be the same reason most fans got on Bulger's case for awhile after he replaced Warner? Jackson is replacing Faulk, that may not sit well with some.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Jackson definitely has a tough act to follow. I also think that Martz tried to just plug him into Marshall's spot, rather than devising a scheme that plays to Jackson's strengths. I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do this year.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Jackson's Problem Is That He Doesn't Bring Anything To The Table. He's Just A Decent, Average At Best, Stutter Steppin' Before He Gets To The Line, One Dimensional Runningback.
    Arlen Harris Could've Produced The Same Numbers Jackson Did Last Year If Given The Chance.
    The Great Backs Of The Game Have One Thing In Common...."They Brought It!" - They Brought Something Uniquely Their Own To The Table.
    Mere Mention Of The Great Backs Of The National Football League Should Prove The Point.

Jim Brown
    Gayle Sayers
    O.J. Simpson
    Franco Harris
    Tony Dorsett
    Walter Payton
    Eric Dickerson
    Barry Sanders
    Emmit Smith
    Priest Holmes
    Marshall Faulk
    Jerome Bettis
    Just To Name A Few Who've "brought It!"

Steven Jackson (Who?, What?, Where?)....in Comparision Jackson Will Have To "bring It" Before Finds Success In The NFL.

Hate To Be Critical But I'm From Missouri
    You Have To "Show Me" Something!

So Goes The 'Frachaise', So Goes The Rams!
    Good Luck In 2006, Steven!

Look For Coach Linehan To Bring In An 'OL Buddy From Miami (Ricky Williams) Nextyear.....that's After The 'Smoke' All Clears!:smoke:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828
    Jackson's Problem Is That He Doesn't Bring Anything To The Table. He's Just A Decent, Average At Best, Stutter Steppin' Before He Gets To The Line, One Dimensional Runningback.
    Arlen Harris Could've Produced The Same Numbers Jackson Did Last Year If Given The Chance.
    The Great Backs Of The Game Have One Thing In Common...."They Brought It!" - They Brought Something Uniquely Their Own To The Table.
    Mere Mention Of The Great Backs Of The National Football League Should Prove The Point.

Jim Brown
    Gayle Sayers
    O.J. Simpson
    Franco Harris
    Tony Dorsett
    Walter Payton
    Eric Dickerson
    Barry Sanders
    Emmit Smith
    Priest Holmes
    Marshall Faulk
    Jerome Bettis
    Just To Name A Few Who've "brought It!"

Steven Jackson (Who?, What?, Where?)....in Comparision Jackson Will Have To "bring It" Before Finds Success In The NFL.

Hate To Be Critical But I'm From Missouri
    You Have To "Show Me" Something!

So Goes The 'Frachaise', So Goes The Rams!
    Good Luck In 2006, Steven!

Look For Coach Linehan To Bring In An 'OL Buddy From Miami (Ricky Williams) Nextyear.....that's After The 'Smoke' All Clears!:smoke:
    So basically you observed Jackson for 1 full year of starting in a system designed for Faulk and have decided he brings nothing to the table? I saw glimpses of a lot of things he brings to the table with the proper blocking up front. Yes he missed holes from time to time but he was used to getting hit immediately after getting the ball, wouldnt you hesitate? Here were jacksons stats from his first year.

Jackson:Games: 15,att: 254,Yds: 1046,Avg 4.1,Long 51,Td's 8,20+ 6,rec yds 320, rec td's 2

Lets look at the others who "brought it" as you said. Bettis only started 12 games his rookie year so i'll use 1994 stats.

Bettis:games:16, Att: 319,yds: 1025,avg: 3.2, Long 19,td's 3,20+ 0,rec yds 293, rec td's 1

Emmitt:games:16,att: 241,yds: 937,avg: 3.9,td's: 11,rec yds: 228,rec td's 0

Faulk:Games:16,att: 314,yds: 1282,avg: 4.1,long: 52,td's: 11,20+: 12,rec yds: 522,rec td's 1

Those are all pretty comparible stats if I say so myself. So lets stop dogging Jackson just because you feel like it and because you dont like him. You are being so unfair to Jackson by comparing him to superstars and judging him on 1 year and the superstars on their entire career. Let's give the guy a chance. This year he will get his chance and barring injury i'm saying he has a breakout year in a system that fits him.
    Just Fix It

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Jackson is replacing Faulk, that may not sit well with some.
    That is a good point. We have been spoiled. Jackson could become a legend eventually too.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    That is a good point. We have been spoiled. Jackson could become a legend eventually too.
    I agree this is what makes it hard on players coming in to fill the shoes of Faulk and Warner. We went through it with Bulger and now it seems to be Jacksons turn for people to hate on him for no other reason than replacing Faulk.
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12