general counsel is offline Registered User

My post game analysis- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

We may not be the most dominant 4-1 team in the history of the nfl, but at the end of the day, what counts is the record and it speaks for itself. As we say every week, a win is a win is a win in the nfl and wins on the road are just brutal. We played hard and gutted out a win with a huge play at the end by the defense. We got VERY lucky at the end because even with the big sack and fumble, the packers offensive lineman was literally on the ball and i have no idea how he failed to fall on it.

Not our best performance on offense, we didnt run very well, didnt stop the run very well, didnt pressure favre very well and couldnt put the game away despite numerous chances, but we took care of the football again and that really kept us ahead. We have put ourselves in a position to take early control of the west with a win next week vs seattle and potentially put ourselves on track for a very special season as we head into the bye week before we hit the brutal portion of the schedule.

We are 4-1. While many will say that the whiners stink and that we should have beaten them, we could have easily or should have lost both to arizona and possibly today. We beat a top caliber team in denver as well. I will take the 4-1 and lets see how "for real" we are when the defending nfc champs come to town next week coming off their bye week.

THE GOOD

The interesting thing about this win was that there really werent many if any spectacular individual performances. A number of guys played very well, but we didnt make a lot of deep plays against a suspect packers secondary. We played hard as a team and its a team win for sure.

Bulger was excellent again. He took what the defense gave him and made some nice throws, especially deep in our own end. However, he also made two very bad throws and was very lucky that they werent picked off, one of which could have completely changed the game (the ball that hit harris in the hands at the goal line)

The offensive line protected pretty well. Another very strong game by pace and barron. Of course, the good pass protection was balanced by the numerous false starts and lousy run blocking, especially in the first half.

Some one off comments. Nice punt return by mcdonald, nice catch by the klopper (we need to throw to him more often), nice third down conversion and run down the sideline by tony fischer, an actual pass breakup by travis fischer which i hope someone will confirm because i thought i must be hallucinating, and what i thought was a pretty good game from stephen jackson, not his best, but not bad.

Very strong game for matt turk. What a huge upgrade for us at that position.
    The first half red zone performance was critical. We got clobbered in the first half, but due to the turnover and our 2-2 red zone conversions, we had the lead.

I liked that linehan stayed with the run even though it wasnt working. It was much more successful in the second half.

Jimmy Kennedy was also very strong, i thought it was his best game as a ram. I think he was in on the fumble at the end.

THE BAD

Terrible red zone performance in the second half kept them in the game. Our short yardage rushing is terrible and we need to find a way to improve at the goal line.

The injuries to holt and spoon, both of whom came back (both ankles i believe), and the injury to bartell, which looked the most serious. Keep all of your fingers crossed on holt and spoon.

Lack of pressure on favre most of the game. Whoever was blocking leonard did a heck of a job on him all game.
    Inability to stop the run in the first half at all. Really lousy.
    Our failure to throw more to klop. He is open and has done very well when the ball is thrown to him, we need to make better use of him.
    We have to do a better job of putting teams away. This is really the same issue as the terrible red zone performance in the second half, but also our failure to make a first down at the end.
    Tye hill wasnt terrible today, but he got toasted for the td, i thought he was on the guy reasonably well, his lack of height hurt him on that play.
    Spoon dropped an INT in the end zone that cost us. He should make that play.
    I thought some of the playcalling was lousy. The trick play with jackson on third and two was terrible. If you want to run in that spot, which is fine, split four wide receivers and run a draw for him. This also circles back to my point that we cant run straight ahead on third and short and make a yard. I think we need to throw more to klop, which should help prevent teams from packing all those guys into the box on us. why do we always run up the middle on first and goal from just inside the ten?

THE UGLY

All the false starts on the Offense
    Bulgers bootleg. That play works if no one expects it, otherwise, its an ugly bust. I like the qb draw with bulger better, although that is not a ringing endorsement. We need jackson up the middle for the one crucial yard.
    Wilkins' out of bounds kickoff.

SUMMARY

I will take any win at any time. Ramming speed to all, bring on the seahawks. We are going to find out this week if we really have a football team or if we have just been getting very lucky against crappy teams. As long as we can continue to win the turnover battle, we are going to have a chance to win just about every game. As i have been saying since before the preseason started, the key for this team in the long run is the red zone offense. The defense is improved, but it needs a lot of help from the offense and we need to put teams away. That will come from getting tds rather than field goals, especially inside the ten yard line. The better the opposition, the more critical the red zone performance is going to be.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: My post game analysis- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

THE UGLY
    2nd and seven trying to take time off the clock we pass,(Kind of Martz Like)
    3rd and goal from the one we run Bulger outside instead of pounding jackson, I say pound on 3rd and 4th from the one. Linehan on the goaline needs to stop trying to outsmart and just outplay the other line pound pound pund!!!

The GOOD

We won Bulger looked good again. The defense came up with a huge play when we needed it most. It was at Lambeau a hard field to play at.

As much as I am usually rah rah, right now there is still questions that are not being answered.As long as the Rams win though who gives a damn about questions. It will all come down to next week , if we knock off the Shehawks it will show the Rams have arrived.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Kennedy did have a good game today.

I was also shocked to see Fisher with a nice play on the ball.

Did you see Looker was in as a return guy now. Interesting.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post

Did you see Looker was in as a return guy now. Interesting.....
    I saw that in the PbP. Did he do any better than previous players?

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I saw that in the PbP. Did he do any better than previous players?

gap
    He looked comfortable catching the ball and he got between 5 and 10 yards if I remember correctly. I don't think he had any blockers to help him out and he got taken down right away. He did not seem very elusive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

general counsel is offline Registered User

Both mcdonald and looker were in to return that last punt. Kicking into the wind, the kicker was getting off some bombs so the return was a real possibility if the guy outkicked the coverage again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    THE UGLY

All the false starts on the Offense
    Bulgers bootleg. That play works if no one expects it, otherwise, its an ugly bust. I like the qb draw with bulger better, although that is not a ringing endorsement. We need jackson up the middle for the one crucial yard.
    Wilkins' out of bounds kickoff.

Ramming speed to all general counsel
    GC,

Good post, sometimes I wonder if it is better to have a mad scientist than a conservative with some of today's playcalling especially at the end of the game. MB came up huge again on our second to last series bailing the o-line out of trouble once again!

Sorry about UGA's loss and I have mine to deal with as well.

Hope the smilies our out in one week!

FLO
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

chiguy is online now Registered User

I've generally been pleased with Linehand, especially with how he's fixed many of the vexing problems from the past (special teams play, penalties, etc.). That said, his play calling was horrible today. Horrible. I'd like to see a little more urgency from him on this subject rather than more of the "we're on a way" line he keeps feeding the media. Some thoughts:

-Why not use Stephen Davis more in goal line situations? He's a better between-the-tackles runner than Jackson.

-Why not pass to our TEs more in the red zone? Walker and Klop aren't all-stars, but surely one of them is capable of doing at least something down there.

-Throw out any play that involves Bulger running. He has neither the instincts nor the legs.

We're also limited by having short, fast receivers in that it takes away some endzone plays like the fade. Nothing that can be done here right now.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The defense has improved ??? +2 on the turnover side that's the only advantage I see. The Packers had 121 rushing yards with an avg. of 4.7 per carry by a couple of back-ups. The Packers were 9/16 on 3rd down conversions for 56%. The last turnover saved our BUTTS !

Also 10 penalties by the Rams ??? Sloppy at best.

We need to slow down the oppostions running game, period.

4-1 is awesome but the true tests are coming. :l

:waiting: :seasux: :arisux: :sfosux:

chiguy is online now Registered User

I agree about the running game. In fact, everyone on the defensive front not named Leonard Little needs to start playing better. Even Leonard needs to be a little more consistent through out the game, though that's partly due to the lack of pressure elsewhere.

moklerman is offline Registered User

So far, I'm very pleased with Linehan's results. The team is turning into a solid football team that can win close games. The qb is playing mistake-free football. Sure, a little luck never hurts but you can also make your own luck by doing things the right way. The running game is gradually improving each week and it isn't due to just Jackson. Davis and Fisher are contributing and hopefully keeping Jackson a little rested.

The defense is still a work in progress but c'mon people, we're leading the league in turnover ratio! That's freakin' huge! Haslett is a great co-head coach that should be given much of the team's success to this point. The defense isn't Bears-ish, but it has continually come up with crucial turnovers to help the team win. At the very least, it's an improvement over recent history and seems to be getting better.

The o-line is also a cause for optimism. It isn't the Hog's that punched gaping holes for Riggins, but it's a marked improvement from recent patchwork units for sure. Barron and Incognito are both very young and learning but Bulger hasn't faced too much pressure thus far. The running game hasn't been perfect but Jackson's still second in the league in rushing(I think).

That's the whole point isn't it? I mean, it's what we all wanted to be balanced right? I think we have a great nucleus for that right now with the passing/running game. Bulger isn't leading the league in passing attempts nor is Jackson in rushing attempts but both are in the top 10 and the team is scoring points. All of this coming off a horrendous year last year with a new HC, OC, DC and systems.

4-1 is simply a fantastic start for a team that's still young and learning.

Who is this positive sounding guy? Mok what happened to you, body snatchers got ya?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman is offline Registered User

Hey, Martz is gone, the team's doing things the way that I agree that they should be done and it isn't playing stupid football. Add in a little lady luck and what's there to be upset about? After the Niner game I wouldn't have been singing that tune but 4-1 is 4-1. IF the team can stay healthy and IF things progress like I think they will, I see a playoff game as a distinct possibility.