general counsel is offline Registered User

My post game thoughts

HUGE win for the squad today. As we always say, a win is a win and you take them wherever, however and whenever you can get them. Another heart attack game, here is my view of the good, the bad and the ugly

The Good

We survived a must win game and we did it while resting orlando pace
    The offense finally put some real points on the board after a very slow early red zone start again.
    Marc bulger is truly a elite qb. I just hope everyone on this board realizes it and appreciates it.
    Stephen Jackson is truly a Big Boy stud. His enthusiasm and power running and catching are taking him to a higher level week after week. You cant blame jackson for his failure to run inside, there was no blocking at all for him between the tackles. He cut several runs outside and showed some real speed in addition to his toughness. The hurdle over dre bly was a classic.
    Jacksons run up the middle for 5 yards on third down in the last series when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming was great running and should have put the game away since it got money into field goal range, which somehow, he missed.
    Wilkins was great again today, aside from the miss at the end. Not a perfect game due to what could have been a huge miss, but his kickoffs were excellent and he was 4 for 5.
    Bruce and Holt are the best wide receiver combination in the history of the nfl over the last 7 years. There, i said it. Take your shots at it. Holt is a stud and all that crapola about bruce slowing down is nonsense. He is a top notch #2 reciever and he is getting one on one coverage all the time, meaning when bulger has time, ike is open on basically every play. The td and 2 point conversion at the end was classic rev ike.
    Nice game for the klopper, getting on the board with his first td. I believe that the klopper is ready for full integration into the offense, he will be open all day long and that will be a huge weapon for us.
    Very gutty performance by the O line without the Big Man, at least on the pass blocking side. I thought stuessie was excellent, and its really time to recognize baby alyx as a terrific right tackle. He continues to improve, he will be ready for the pro bowl in no time.
    NO TURNOVERS for the rams.
    There are not a lot of great things to say about the defense in this game, but i will say that we caused three turnovers, and that was the difference in the game.
    Stephen Davis looked good in limited action as a backup.
    The toughness and guts of pisa are hard to believe. We should lock him up contract wise.

The Bad

The kickoff coverage basically stunk. If not for tye hills speed, we would have given up two tds.
    Its probably as much ugly as bad, but our complete lack of pass rush today almost cost us the game. John Kitna is ok, but without a guy in his face and with roy williams (who by the way is just a fantastic player), he is tough to stop. We blitzed over and over and not only didnt we get him, we really didnt get close much. Their line dominated us and we couldnt cover downfield at all. We made mike furrey look like an all pro and while we all like the guy, lets face it, its a guy that an nfl db should be able to stay one on one without getting hit for all those catches. I will say that the second td was a fantastic catch. With the exception of a couple of long runs, we did a pretty good job run wise, but pass wise, we were just awful all day long.
    Travis fischer, i dont know what to say. He just doesnt seem to make any plays out there, he seems to be unable to stop anyone. I would love to know what is really going on with butler.
    Why didnt we double williams more often?
    I like haslett a lot, but today you cant tell me that the defense was anything but creamed out there pass defense wise. 34 points is a lot and while they were helped by some penalties and good field position, we have to play a lot better on defense. If this was marmie, everyone would be yelling scheme.

The Ugly

The wilkins miss with the game on the line
    The ball that hit tye hill in the stomach with the game on the line that he dropped
    Our failure to score a td when we had first and goal at the 1 in the first half (although holt may well have been in)

Random thoughts

Is there anyone on the planet who doesnt realize how great martz is as an offensive football coach.
    Lord help the db's of the league on roy williams. I thought boldin was amazing last week, i think williams may be better. Big, stong, fast, hands. He will continue to flourish and improve under martz.
    The packers game is HUGE. IF we can win that one on the road, and we all know that is far from a given but we also know that its a game we should win if we want to go to the playoffs and especially if we want to contend for the division with seattle, we will set up a TITANIC early season showdown with the seahawks for first place heading into the buy week. Our second half sked is brutal, especially coming out of the break, thus, we need to make our hay now. I am very confident that The Big Man will be back for the green bay game.
    They got the call correct on the tipped pass at the end, but it sure was close to a debacle of biblical magnitude on the non interference call.
    Nice to see curtis get involved a bit. Curtis and the klopper have great chances to be mismatched in coverage.

Ramming speed to all, 3-1 and rolling, bring on the Pack

General counsel

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: My post game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Travis fischer, i dont know what to say. He just doesnt seem to make any plays out there, he seems to be unable to stop anyone.
    I want to take this moment to apologize. I have previously characterized Fisher as trade bait due to his inability to cover or tackle. I was wrong.

After watching him turned into pancake mix during Jones' 35 Yard TD run and being turned into Furrey's personal coverage "beotch", I have realized that I misapprehended his real value.

S/He actually is the poster child for the Gilded Leash Award - given to the junkyard whelp who needs no dog collar or leash to be recognized as the runt of the litter that needs spaded now before the disease can spread ...

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Good stuff GC. I agree on T-Fish. However, I don't want to go negative this close to a win. So I will try to focus on a big positive that I learned in this game:

We have proven, even though it was the Lions, that we can win in a shoot out. This team never gave up and kept coming back; and the defense came up with some clutch turnovers and stops when it had to. That is worth celebrating. We can debate Fisher's future and the ST relapses as the week goes on.

A win is a win and I'll take it...

:l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Congrats to Tye Hill on a good game. That dropped int. was ugly, and inexcusable, but he was great otherwise, especially in kickoff coverage.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Very gutty performance by the O line without the Big Man, at least on the pass blocking side. I thought stuessie was excellent, and its really time to recognize baby alyx as a terrific right tackle. He continues to improve, he will be ready for the pro bowl in no time.
    I don't think this can be emphesized enough. This was indeed a gut check for our makeshift line and they really held their own when it could have been easy to fall apart without Pace. There were a few bumps today, but overall I think we took a big step toward improvement. If Bulger continues to get the kind of protection he got today, the offense will be in great shape.

I agree with you GC that Barron is improving, cutting out the mistakes and becoming an anchor.

big-foot33 is offline Registered User

I think the rams D had a great game

brawleyramfan is offline Registered User

I think that the officiating as a whole in this game stunk! this has got to be one of the worst officiating crews in the league. The missed TD by Holt could have been the difference in this game. Way to many holding penalties our way and hardly any theirs, they pretty much sucked.:x

mtmagpie is offline Registered User

Code:
    I think that the officiating as a whole in this game stunk! this has got to be one of the worst officiating crews in the league. The missed TD by Holt could have been the difference in this game. Way to many holding penalties our way and hardly any theirs, they pretty much sucked.
    I agree. I watched the game intently (especially the line play) and I thought the refs gave the Lions O-line way too much leeway when it came to holding, grabbing, hands to the face, and blocks to the back, especially when the Rams were blitzing. If you watch the replay, pay attention to the corner blitzes especially. Kudos to the Rams D-line for staying focused and not letting the non-calls rattle them.

Holt's catch was a touchdown plain and simple. The refs missed both the initial call and the replay. Weh nhis left foot touched the ground with the ball clearly across the plane, it is a touchdown. Nothing that happens after that matters. I'm not sure why it was so difficult for the refs to understand that.

In general, I have been mortified with the officiating around the league this year already. it just seems to me that the officials don't even understand what is going on in the game. Kinda reminds me of Arena Football games...

:l

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

martz had a field day with our coverage thats a given... even tho our defense had a lot of trouble out there you gotta give credit where it is due martz system works and we know as rams fans it wasnt only our defensive calling or players like fisher looking like gnats martz routes are very complex ......and if a less than average player like furry runs those routes more than likely he will be in a position to make catches like he did to us today even as ugly as it looked even as much it hurt my stomach to see mike furry score 2 td's on us
    Torry Holt Dont play that

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    I don't want to go negative this close to a win. So I will try to focus on a big positive that I learned in this game ...
    Since it appears as though I may have inadvertantly detracted from the warm afterglow of a satisfying outcome, let me try and stoke the embers before the fire goes out ...

The Good:

Despite the lack of recent success with the rush, Haslett continues to remain aggressive with the blitzing D. Persistence will pay dividends.

Drafting a big, tall, quick CB like Bartell is looking gooder all the time.

MB's snap throw to Klopenstepping_on_any_faint_residual_memory_of_Manuseless is a big confident boost to the potential of the TE's contribution to the passing game.

The Better:

Jackson may not have Faulk's elusiveness out of the backfield, but SJ is definitely an asset in the passing game. Him getting up a head of steam is a sight to behold. Checkdowns and dumps to the flat have huge gains written all over them.

Tye Hill's effort on kick coverage is inspiring and should used be as an inspiration. No quit in his effort resulted in no KRs for TDs - two which were a done deal.

The Best:

Lady Luck is smiling on the Rams. Two weeks in a row, disaster was staring the Rams in the face. But once the ball was fumbled right back (and the Rams were granted a do-over in deciding on what they wanted to do with the penalty) and the other the refs actually reversed their annouced pass interference call. Even the calls that went against the Rams didn't wind up costing them in the end.