Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

Ghost of Jim Everett Guest

My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

As we all know, Jeff Fisher is a defensive minded HC. He will leave most if not all the offensive responsibilities to the OC. My concern is let's say we get a very good OC. Hypothetically, say the Rams finish with a winning record next season, make the playoffs and our offense is ranked in the top 10. Then during the offseason, our OC gets offered a head coaching job somewhere. Leaving the Rams to look for another OC and Sam Bradford having to learn a fourth system. This is a scary possibility.

I believe top QBs like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, benefited from running and mastering the same system for several seasons. This was possible because they had head coaches who were offensive masterminds. If they lose their OCs, the head coach will still implement the same system.

Basically what I'm trying to say is for young developing QBs, they need continuity and having a head coach or offensive coordinator who won't get fired or jump ship is imperative.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

Well then, here's to hoping that if they hire Fisher they keep McD. I don't think anyone would hire him as a HC after what went down in Denver.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Jim Everett View Post
    I believe top QBs like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, benefited from running and mastering the same system for several seasons.
    Well, you didn't mention Tom Brady, and he'd be an example of it working out. Under a defensive head coach in Belichick, the Patriots went from having Weis to having McDaniels to having O'Brien. Weis and McDaniels went on to head coaching gigs (Weis in college, McDaniels in Denver), but the Patriots found guys to bring up through their ranks to take their places to maintain offensive continuity.

One could argue this is what the Rams should have done rather (or maintain continuity by hiring another WCO guy like Childress) than try to completely change offensive systems by hiring McDaniels. But there's no reason why a defensive head coach with a promising offensive coordinator couldn't maintain offensive continuity even if that coordinator leaves. You just have to be smart and prepare for it.

Ghost of Jim Everett Guest

I believe Tom Brady got to work with Charlie Weis for 4 seasons and Josh McDaniels was a QB coach under him during that time, so there was continuity for Tom Brady.

I personally was very underwelmed by McDaniels this season. I understand he didn't have much to work with, but it did not appear he adjusted his play-calling either. I get the feeling he's like Mike Martz. Gotta have all the right pieces to work and can't adjust to when they don't. Brad Childress wouldn't be a bad choice for OC. Runs the WCO and I doubt anyone will entertain the idea of him being a HC again for a long time.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Either way, its gonna be a bit of a mess when he's gonna have to learn a new system.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Jim Everett View Post
    I believe Tom Brady got to work with Charlie Weis for 4 seasons and Josh McDaniels was a QB coach under him during that time, so there was continuity for Tom Brady.
    That's a fair point. I'm simply pointing out that a defensive head coach doesn't automatically mean a change in system should an offensive coordinator leave. Obviously an offensive-minded head coach would ensure the same system, but a defensive head coach doesn't guarantee a switch.

poejoe8 Guest

At this point, if we have so much success as an organization that other teams make offers to our assistant coaches...I'll take it!
    laram0 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll accept this problem gladly because it means we are winning.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Haha, sometimes they want our coaches even when we perform badly, so i don't think we can worry about what-if's a lot in this case. It's the same as saying lets not draft X position this year, let's wait for Guy X next year, it's too much of the unknown.

Go get a strong OC and a smart QB coach that can succeed him when/if he leaves.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

hope we land the Fish. for many reasons,but mainly because out of the names banded about he is the only proven HC with a decent record.

i`m not expecting any number of wins/losses or anything once/if he`s hired but i`m just looking forward to football again and at this stage that is good enough for me. i`m convinced that whatever hurdles he`s gonna have to get over and there are gonna be a few no matter who the HC is gonna be. he has shown he can re-adjust and correct problems during seasons and in games.
    he`s the best HC candidate available. i personally think he`s the best HC that could have fallen to us for what we need in a HC this time around. (I`d rate Marty better but at 70. with all due respect to the great man. weather he wants to coach again or not..the difference between Marty and Fish is not as great as to move past the fact that Fisher is 16 years younger.

i`ve also read some folks giving their views on the number of players the Titans have had with character issues over the years. 1. we don't know who was responsible for each one of those hires,but how many of those players didn`t have their most productive years of their careers with him?

i wouldn't worry about who he hires as assistants..he`s worked with so many quality assistants over the years and is so well known and respected in the league. i`d worry more if one of the candidates with no HCing experience in the NFL were given the job,where we`d be getting positional coaches and bumping them up in the hope that they aswell as himself can cope in roles they have never done before at the top level.
    i believe Fisher is looking at this as his last HC gig,something that he would like to do for another 7-14 years..he would have learned from some previous mistakes he`s made with the O wether they were his ideas to begin with or not. i believe he will set up one offensive system and have a backlog of possible future replacements for the OC job in place for the future to help give Sam some stability.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

So the concern is that hypothetically our defensive-minded coach would hire an offensive genius who would complete a one season worst-to-first transformation? I just don't see that being a problem we're likely to have.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My concern is that he would shave his mustache and look strange like the new coach of the blues did.

SLSG Guest

A good OC will adjust his system to fit the personel of the team he is coaching, unlike what Josh did.
    BlueTalon likes this.

TitanFan89 Guest

I'm surprised everyone seems so happy with the Fisher hire, honestly. As you see by my username, I'm a Titans fan - a huge one at that... season ticket holder, travel to many games, went to our Super Bowl 12 years ago, etc.

I used to love Fisher. From 1999-2003 we had some serious contenders under Fisher.

1999: 13-3 - you guys know the rest of the story of that year
    2000: 13-3 - home field advantage, best team in the league, choked to Ravens in a freak game
    2002: 11-5 - started 1-4, finished 11-5, made it to the AFC Championship and got blown out by Oakland
    2003: 12-4 - this was my favorite team... McNair NFL co-MVP, high scoring offense (which you'll never see with Fisher). We beat the turd Ravens in Baltimore (I was there; priceless), lost to the Patriots 17-14 in Foxborough - refs cheated us, I swear.

From 2004-2006 is where I began to realize it was time to move on from Fisher. During those three seasons he went 17-31. In 2008 he tricked me. We start out 10-0, finish 13-3 with home-field advantage. I loved him again. But we have to the Satan's favorite team aka Ravens in a total freak game again.

You guys all remember 2009. We returned 21 of 22 starters from a team that began the previous season 10-0. What happens? We start out 0-6, capitalized by a 59-0 loss to the Patriots. Why Fisher wasn't fired at that point is beyond me. He knows how to not get fired which I'm afraid you guys will figure out in about 6-7 years.

We had four teams that were more than capable of winning a Super Bowl, but we never won one. 17 seasons as a head coach for Oilers/Titans with only 6 winning seasons. Basically, the guy averages a playoff appearance once every three years. That's nothing to be excited about.

I respect Fisher and appreciate what he did for the Titans, but a year ago when we learned he would not be returning, we were thrilled. We'd had enough of his commitment to mediocrity. We finished the season 9-7 which is obviously nothing spectacular, but when you consider that Munchak took over a team during a lockout, had to blow up the staff completely and start from fresh, it's pretty impressive IMO.

One other thing I noticed from Fisher's absence was that we had our best draft in franchise history. I'm sure you guys don't know much about our rookies as we don't know much about yours, but every rookie contributed in ways we've never seen before. Fisher's drafts have been pretty bad for the most part. Just warning you guys.

For the time being, I think Fisher is a good fit for the Rams. He'll get you guys turned in the right direction, but I don't think he'll ever get you guys a playoff win. His last 7 seasons with the Titans consisted of 0 playoff victories.

I don't hate Fisher. I just think he's way too conservative and the game has passed him by. I just got so tired of a .500 coach who everyone thought was a top 5 coach - not the case.

I wish you guys nothing but the best moving forward with the Fish as your HC.

TitanFan89 Guest

If you guys don't want to read all that fluff, I'll summarize it into several main points:

1. Fisher is way too conservative and way too loyal to his players rather than superior players.
    2. Fisher has 6 winning teams in 17 seasons as head coach.
    3. Fisher is like the slacker in high school/college who does the bare minimum to get by.
    4. Fisher will improve the Rams momentarily, but you guys will grow tired of him quick.
    5. Fisher has not won a playoff game in 8 years.
    6. The Titans have endured 4 different 6 game losing streaks (and two back to back 6 game losing streaks in 2009 and 2010)

I looked at the Rams' 2012 schedule and it's going to be too tough for Fisher to do anything his first year, so I really don't want you guys getting your hopes up.

Fisherball is one of the most boring, grueling styles of football you will ever see.

I see Fisher spending 6-7 seasons with the Rams... he'll have one good year at 11-5 or so, but he'll get even more conservative in the playoffs and go one and done.
    Last edited by TitanFan89; -01-14-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast