Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

Re: My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

TF89, you should also add that Fisher had to contend with your owner see other article.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Can I just say that I'll absolutlely take boring, non-super bowl teams for a .550 record over the next decade? Seriously, I'm happy to crawl long before we run! Get used to winning, change the culture, then make it happen!
    I believe!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TitanFan89 View Post
    I'm surprised everyone seems so happy with the Fisher hire, honestly. As you see by my username, I'm a Titans fan - a huge one at that... season ticket holder, travel to many games, went to our Super Bowl 12 years ago, etc.

I used to love Fisher. From 1999-2003 we had some serious contenders under Fisher.

1999: 13-3 - you guys know the rest of the story of that year
    2000: 13-3 - home field advantage, best team in the league, choked to Ravens in a freak game
    2002: 11-5 - started 1-4, finished 11-5, made it to the AFC Championship and got blown out by Oakland
    2003: 12-4 - this was my favorite team... McNair NFL co-MVP, high scoring offense (which you'll never see with Fisher). We beat the turd Ravens in Baltimore (I was there; priceless), lost to the Patriots 17-14 in Foxborough - refs cheated us, I swear.

From 2004-2006 is where I began to realize it was time to move on from Fisher. During those three seasons he went 17-31. In 2008 he tricked me. We start out 10-0, finish 13-3 with home-field advantage. I loved him again. But we have to the Satan's favorite team aka Ravens in a total freak game again.

You guys all remember 2009. We returned 21 of 22 starters from a team that began the previous season 10-0. What happens? We start out 0-6, capitalized by a 59-0 loss to the Patriots. Why Fisher wasn't fired at that point is beyond me. He knows how to not get fired which I'm afraid you guys will figure out in about 6-7 years.

We had four teams that were more than capable of winning a Super Bowl, but we never won one. 17 seasons as a head coach for Oilers/Titans with only 6 winning seasons. Basically, the guy averages a playoff appearance once every three years. That's nothing to be excited about.

I respect Fisher and appreciate what he did for the Titans, but a year ago when we learned he would not be returning, we were thrilled. We'd had enough of his commitment to mediocrity. We finished the season 9-7 which is obviously nothing spectacular, but when you consider that Munchak took over a team during a lockout, had to blow up the staff completely and start from fresh, it's pretty impressive IMO.

One other thing I noticed from Fisher's absence was that we had our best draft in franchise history. I'm sure you guys don't know much about our rookies as we don't know much about yours, but every rookie contributed in ways we've never seen before. Fisher's drafts have been pretty bad for the most part. Just warning you guys.

For the time being, I think Fisher is a good fit for the Rams. He'll get you guys turned in the right direction, but I don't think he'll ever get you guys a playoff win. His last 7 seasons with the Titans consisted of 0 playoff victories.

I don't hate Fisher. I just think he's way too conservative and the game has passed him by. I just got so tired of a .500 coach who everyone thought was a top 5 coach - not the case.

I wish you guys nothing but the best moving forward with the Fish as your HC.
    Welcome to the board... I can understand where you are coming from with Fisher. Some times as fans enough is enough and a change is needed. I'm also a long time Lakers fan and I still can remember when the Lakers had to make a change when Riley stepped down as coach. He was a great coach but the players where tired of the environment, it just got old. Change as they say is good... a fresh start can be amazing for players and coaches. Seventeen years is a long tenure in the NFL and to do it in one place as we know is unheard of. Fisher had to be doing something right to last that long, with a year off and a fresh start. I think Fisher can take a the the Rams to the next level. Once Bill Belichick was matched with the right owner he became that HOF coach. The same can happen here with Fisher 17 years as a head coach you just don't have many guys that have been to war with that much experience. Rams fans over the last decade have been going to battle with Lieutenant's at best, it will be nice to go to war with a General.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TitanFan89 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: My problem with Jeff Fisher as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    TF89, you should also add that Fisher had to contend with your owner see other article.
    Yea, Bud Adams is a senile fool. He's lived long enough... When he passes, we will be better off - assuming we actually have someone who wants to take over and keep the team here in Nashville.

Just curious... what record do you guys expect the 2012 Rams to finish with? I looked at your schedule and noticed you play the AFC East and NFC North (we will play those divisions as well). I couldn't point to more than 5-6 wins. I'd go with 5-11. He will keep you guys close in some games you'd expect to get blown out.

Last time Fisher faced the NFC West, he went 4-0, so that's good news, at least. Although the 9ers didn't have Harbaugh and still sucked.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Just curious... what record do you guys expect the 2012 Rams to finish with? I looked at your schedule and noticed you play the AFC East and NFC North (we will play those divisions as well). I couldn't point to more than 5-6 wins. I'd go with 5-11. He will keep you guys close in some games you'd expect to get blown out.
    I would say with all the changes, new GM, HC and staff and having a second round pick that could return multiple draft picks. It's just to early to handicap IMO. We don't know what we are going to look like. Keep in mind our team was decimated by injuries this year so they are slightly better then this years record.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Jim Everett View Post
    As we all know, Jeff Fisher is a defensive minded HC. He will leave most if not all the offensive responsibilities to the OC. My concern is let's say we get a very good OC. Hypothetically, say the Rams finish with a winning record next season, make the playoffs and our offense is ranked in the top 10. Then during the offseason, our OC gets offered a head coaching job somewhere. Leaving the Rams to look for another OC and Sam Bradford having to learn a fourth system. This is a scary possibility.
    Why go looking for trouble? Man, don't worry about stuff before there's a reason to worry about stuff!

Think of it this way -- what exactly have the Rams done with McD as the OC?

Or think of it this way -- Alex Smith was on his 5th (I think) OC this year, and look what the Digits did. And I think Bradford has a higher ceiling than Smith.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

If you guys don't want to read all that fluff, I'll summarize it into several main points:

1. Fisher is way too conservative and way too loyal to his players rather than superior players.
    2. Fisher has 6 winning teams in 17 seasons as head coach.
    3. Fisher is like the slacker in high school/college who does the bare minimum to get by.
    4. Fisher will improve the Rams momentarily, but you guys will grow tired of him quick.
    5. Fisher has not won a playoff game in 8 years.
    6. The Titans have endured 4 different 6 game losing streaks (and two back to back 6 game losing streaks in 2009 and 2010)

I looked at the Rams' 2012 schedule and it's going to be too tough for Fisher to do anything his first year, so I really don't want you guys getting your hopes up.

Fisherball is one of the most boring, grueling styles of football you will ever see.

I see Fisher spending 6-7 seasons with the Rams... he'll have one good year at 11-5 or so, but he'll get even more conservative in the playoffs and go one and done.
    All that assumes he learned nothing by taking some time off, reflecting, and looking at the big picture from a different perspective. As a Seahawks fan, I am here to tell you that Pete Carroll is not the same guy who coached the Jets or the Patriots. The year after he got fired from the Patriots job was huge in his growth as a coach.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12