DE Victor Adeyanju
    OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa
    MLB Will Witherspoon
    OLB Brandon Chillar
    CB Tye Hill
    CB Fakhir Brown
    FS Ron Bartell
    SS O.J. Atogwe

Here's how I see it. The defense has been horrible. We all know that. While its cliche, you can almost say it can't get worse.

So, why not give the young guys some PT? Wroten, Hill and Bartell are the Rams future on D. Or, if not, let's find out now so we can try to fix things this offseason. Lets also give some PT to Alston. See what he can do.

Glover, Chavous, Butler... they are the past. Let's move toward the future.

What do we have to lose?

general counsel is online now Registered User

Re: My Rams Starting Defense For The Rest Of The Year

I have only one issue with that and it involves butler. Butler is under contract and he isnt cheap. At this point, if he never sees the field, we are going to wind up cutting him and taking the cap hit.

I think it makes sense to let him play a bit and see what happens. First, he may actually perform, in which case it makes sense to keep him, or, if haslett really doesnt want him anyway, maybe we can get something for him. If he stinks it up, we are no worse off anyway.

Keep in mind travis fisher will be gone next year. that leaves us with brown and hill. Why cut the cord on butler and assume his is in the past until we at least see him play under game conditions at least a bit?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Well, as a practical matter, they'll need Butler to play the nickel role. I'd like to see what Hill can do as a starter, though.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    DE Leonard Little
    DT Claude Wroten
    DT Jimmy Kennedy
    DE Victor Adeyanju
    OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa
    MLB Will Witherspoon
    OLB Brandon Chillar
    CB Tye Hill
    CB Fakhir Brown
    FS Ron Bartell
    SS O.J. Atogwe

Here's how I see it. The defense has been horrible. We all know that. While its cliche, you can almost say it can't get worse.

So, why not give the young guys some PT? Wroten, Hill and Bartell are the Rams future on D. Or, if not, let's find out now so we can try to fix things this offseason. Lets also give some PT to Alston. See what he can do.

What do we have to lose?
    I would move Bartel to CB opposite Hill, and use a 3-4 base set with Chillar and Smith inside and move Witherspoon outside where he belongs.
    I would put OJ at SS and Carter at FS.

If we still can't stop the run, then it's time to do a clean sweep of the defense like we did in 2000 and start from scratch.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I have only one issue with that and it involves butler. Butler is under contract and he isnt cheap. At this point, if he never sees the field, we are going to wind up cutting him and taking the cap hit.

I think it makes sense to let him play a bit and see what happens. First, he may actually perform, in which case it makes sense to keep him, or, if haslett really doesnt want him anyway, maybe we can get something for him. If he stinks it up, we are no worse off anyway.

Keep in mind travis fisher will be gone next year. that leaves us with brown and hill. Why cut the cord on butler and assume his is in the past until we at least see him play under game conditions at least a bit?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Good point about Butler GC. I don't want the cap hit if we cut him, so like you said he needs to see the field so at worst maybe we can shop him in a trade or at best we keep him for next year.

I do like Hill getting playing time though. Decisions, decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

sprtsmac Guest

Its a good line up. I've been wanting to see what Wroten could do all year and I would like to find out this year if Hill was worth the number 1 pick. Avenger, you might want to think about submitting this to Haslett; but don't forget to copyright it first so you get full credit.

MASSIVE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    DE Leonard Little
    DT Claude Wroten
    DT Jimmy Kennedy
    DE Victor Adeyanju
    OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa
    MLB Will Witherspoon
    OLB Brandon Chillar
    CB Tye Hill
    CB Fakhir Brown
    FS Ron Bartell
    SS O.J. Atogwe

What do we have to lose?
    Great Idea! We need to see if the Young players can perform or not -Hill may end up showing us that he can only be a nickel back who can cover the slot reciever. That would be a disapointment but we need to know