general counsel is offline Registered User

My take on a big name head coach

I agree with howard that it is very unlikely the rams will cough up 5-7 million a year for a cowher type head coach. In the event georgia dies and kroenke takes over, that might be a course we would pursue, but i see it as virtually impossible under this regime.

However, i think that money isnt really the point. The reason we arent going to hire a guy like marty or cowher is that guys like that arent taking any job without either full control over football operations or at least having a solid working relationship with someone they trust and respect as the guy on the personnel side.

At the end of the day, as long as the rams have non-football people running the football side of the operation, they arent going to get a head coach who will really make a difference because TALENT, not coaching, is the key to success in the nfl. COaching matters at the margain, but you can only coach the players you have.

Anyone care to look up lombardi's record when he coached the redskins? anyone remember the record of cowher the year BEFORE they won the superbowl. How about vermeils record prior to the marshall faulk trade and the 1999 season?

To many fans, including many on this board, the rationale goes something like this. When the team wins (ie the martz era) its because the players are great. When the team loses, its because the coaches stink. This makes no sense at all. Haslett certainly knows defense. But he cant get on the field and tackle anyone. Notice how much better we are against the run this year. Is it because haslett is a better coach or is it because carriker and ryan are a massive upgrade from what we had up the middle in the past.

I bring back the discussion (for the umpteenth time) of bobby april. Fire april many yelled, our special teams are the worst. Another punt return for a td? April must go!!! Well, we fired him and the next year he is coach of the year for buffalo as his special teams lead the league. Does any sane person believe that all of a sudden april learned how to coach or does maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with april having better players on special teams in buffalo.

I am not suggesting that linehan is terrific. I am only pointing out again that no team in the nfl would be competitive with the injuries we have had and to blame coaches on the conditioning side for our injuries is one of the funnier arguments i have ever heard.

If anyone wants a guy like cowher, the discussion has to start with close to full control of football operations and i think the odds of that happening as long as georgia is alive and shaw is running the team are slim and none with slim having left the building.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My take on a big name head coach

You gotta get out of my head, GC.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    anyone remember the record of cowher the year BEFORE they won the superbowl.
    I believe it was 15-1 or 14-2 or something like that. I was watching that Super Bowl with a Steelers fan, and I remember him talking about how the Steelers actually had a better record the year before...

But I get your point. I only bring that up because he happens to be one of the coaches people are talking about hiring right now. Sometimes you'll hear announcers say something like "There's no defense for a perfect pass." But the reverse is true, too; there's no scheme that will fix bad play on the part of the players. However, some coaches do manage to win despite adversity. The Seahawks got bit by the injury bug last season, but they could still beat us without Hasselbeck or Alexander in the lineup. No, it's not all Linehan's fault, and if we just had a losing record I'd have more patience. But we're off to the worst start in team history and could quite possibly enter a week 8 bye winless.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Correct fleece, they were 15-1 the year before they won, but 6-10 the year before that. Still my same point. Thanks for the correction

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Is it too early to make our nominations for post of the year?

Very well said, GC. Lots of great points.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Great points indeed.

Whose head is he in?

Whether big money or job description, I doubt either Cowher or Marty are headed our way.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

odds of that happening as long as georgia is alive and shaw is running the team are slim and none with slim having left the building.

But isn't that what got us into this quagmire? :\
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Whether big money or job description, I doubt either Cowher or Marty are headed our way.

Schottenheimer would probably be considerably more likely than Cowher. At least in terms of interest is concerned, i.e., being interested in coaching a team with a practically dysfunctional offense! Starting a project all over from a scratch.

Besides, who was it that made mention here in the Clan ... that these coaches may want complete control.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I may have mentioned it before , but plenty of others have too.

Lets face it, whoever is being considered will contemplate just how bad this season has been and just how iffy our front office is and come to no other conclusion than to turn this thing around they'll need complete control. A GM/HC hybrid.

And I understand that, but it's hasn't been singularly successful. Looking at Seattle is a case in point where Holmgren had to relinquish his GM job. Its a lot to take on.

Marty had problems with the FO in San Diego and Cowher has the clout to ask for the increased responsibility. So, if we are to attract what some have termed a 'proven' HC, I think it'll be an expensive and expansive move. It'll have to be because I just don't see Shaw betting his dubious tenure in the Presidents Chair on another young and up and coming HC candidate.

Fox I just don't see happening, but you never know in this league.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't agree. The coach is still a leader, if not "the" leader on this team. How does he get his guys to believe?? It does have to do with talent, partially. However there are other aspects to the game. Pride, belief, hardwork, cohesiveness, correct playcalling (on defense and offense),discipline,direction,leadership and so forth. It is the COACH's responsibility to instill these principles of belief in His players to get the most out of them. It is also HIS responsibility to "weed" out those that don't have a strong belief in the system he knows and believes, will get this team to where the need to be.