RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

My take on Rams @ Jets - 10 points

Gotta forgive me if I don't get all of the details exactly right, but here's what I observed:

1. Alex Barron didn't have a false start. I could be wrong, but I don't think he allowed a sack. Either he is seriously trying to look good, or Spags replaced him with someone else.

2. Goldberg won't be at RT for long. I hear Jason Smith needs work on his pass blocking skills. From what I saw, he's a lot further along than Goldberg.

3. Keith Null has a rocket arm. That TD pass he threw was a tight spiral. I'd like to see this kid a little bit more next week. I think he might just have what it takes to be in the NFL for a while.

4. Our backups don't look too bad, for the most part.

5. The RB hierarchy will probably end up as Jackson, Gado, Pittman, Ooga Booga. (I can't remember his name, just typed the first thing that came to mind.) Darby will end up as cannon fodder.

6. Donnie Jones seems to kick a hard-to-catch ball.

7. Those uniforms they wore tonight need to be replaced - I find them ugly. Maybe something more in line with the old school white/blue away uniform would be better.

8. Special teams seems to have a better handle on assignments this year.

9. Leonard Little may be getting older, but he can still play end better than a lot of the younger DE's in the league.

10. Son of Animal plays football like Mongo rides a Brahma bull - he just grabs it by the horns. Gotta love a player like that.

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

Re: My take on Rams @ Jets - 10 points

I agree wholeheartedly with number 7.

LARAM is offline Registered User

LOL....OOGA BOOGA, What a great nickname....You deserve all the credit if that nick name takes off one day...... I'll be able to say I heard it from you fiirst!!!!!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Glad to hear again that our backups looked pretty good.
    Not so sure about the RB depth chart though. Spagnuolo was really pleased with Darby throughout camp, so surely he won't dump him after just one bad preseason game. I'm hoping Jackson gets as much time as he needs next week, but I would also like to see more of the RBs play.
    And I am very interested in seeing more of Keith Null!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Keith Null looks like he can play a little bit..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Null under threw or threw behind everyone at the scrimmage. He looked good tonight!

Darby is still way up the depth chart. One night doesn't prove anything yet.

If I were a Jets fan I would be very worried about those punt receivers. Ouch.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. You're right, Barron did not have a false start and seemed to hold up well while on the field. From what I could see of our first unit offense though, the Jets were primarily sending pressure on Goldberg's side, which is the obvious move.

2. I can't wait until Jason Smith takes over that spot. I can't imagine he'd be any worse at this point.

3. Didn't watch the second half of the game, but it's probably a little early to make even guesses about the longevity of someone's career based on one preseason game.

4. I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw from Wade or King. Again, just saw the first half though.

5. Darby will end up as roster fodder if he can't pick up blitzes better than he did tonight.

6. Donnie Jones is perhaps the most under-appreciated special teams player in the NFL.

7. I don't like the white pants period.

8. Didn't see much of teams play, but Brown looked on target with his field goals.

9. Agreed, he burned right into the backfield for that sack/FF.

10. I honestly didn't notice him at all in the first half. Did he stand out in the second?

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

3. Didn't watch the second half of the game, but it's probably a little early to make even guesses about the longevity of someone's career based on one preseason game.
    This is why I said he might just have what it takes - by wording it this way, I'm being noncommital enough to back out of it if he doesn't have what it takes.

4. I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw from Wade or King. Again, just saw the first half though.
    Agreed. They weren't with the "most part".

10. I honestly didn't notice him at all in the first half. Did he stand out in the second?
    Not excessively, but he didn't screw up, either. He came in, played the game, and never backed down. Didn't draw attention to himself by being uber-great or by being lousy. Just good, solid football.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Good observations. Especially about Laurinaitis. He's going to be a monster. I'm excited.

The QB's looked solid, except Boller. Three for Nine...=/ It is only preseason, regardless it is evaluation time.

I really like Darby, but if he continues to play like that...then yeah. He's gotta go. Gado had a great play!

Barron played good today. Hope he can keep it up. We need to put Smith in at RT next game. Goldberg didn't exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I agree with Moose and would like to see Smith at RT in the next game. Special teams play was pretty nice, those Jets returners didn't do so well. Even on the punt at the very end of the game, the guy almost dropped that but it flew out of bounds. Jones and Brown played well, as well as the other special teamers. Haha "Ooga Booga".

On a side note, I missed most of the first half, but read on the Rams' site that Bell was shaken up a bit. Anyone know what had happened/status? Also was Chris Long in much early on, and if so, how did he do? I think I will record the re-run on NFL network since I missed the beginning.
    Last edited by prof22693; -08-15-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: *first half

Keenum is offline Registered User

I looked up the play by play, and it says Bell left the game with a head injury. Hopefully just got his bell rung (no pun intended) and it's nothing like a concussion.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    6. Donnie Jones seems to kick a hard-to-catch ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If I were a Jets fan I would be very worried about those punt receivers. Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    Special teams play was pretty nice, those Jets returners didn't do so well. Even on the punt at the very end of the game, the guy almost dropped that but it flew out of bounds.
    I'm not too worried about it. Leon Washington ran punts back last year. He was fine, but nowhere near as electric as on kick returns. They used Leonhard last night with no problems. The muffs and fumbles were by 3rd and 4th string, Lowery and Raymond who were just trying to show some versatility since they are on the bubble. In fact, Raymond's bubble may have poppped. Donnie Jones is great though.

EDIT: Raymond has already been cut after Ryan talked about the game being too big for some players in the post game.
    Last edited by Ventesette; -08-16-2009 at 04:39 AM.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Just to add in a little. I don't think our receivers are half as bad as people make them out to be. Robinson had a nice catch and I think he can make a decent 2nd receiver along side of Avery. Can't wait to see how these guys do in the regular season. Also, I believe Gado will get the backup job behind Steven Jackson. I liked what I saw from him tonight.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Nick beat me to it but I'm going to echo it anyways. I don't think Darby will make the team IF he doesn't start picking up the blitzes. Also, I really liked what I've seen from our run blocking so far.