txramsfan is offline Registered User

My take on the team....for what it's worth

I said this after the New Orleans game and I'll say it again, this version of the Rams is not very good but at least they are entertaining at times. The Rams are ranked 28th in total defense for the NFL. We may have the worst LB corp in the NFL. Outside of Pisa, the talent isn't there and for those of you crying for Lovie you can put a bunch of the blame on him for the state of this LB corp. The secondary has been banged up all year. Fisher gets back after his arm injury and what happens? Gets his jaw broke. Fights through that and what happens? Buffalo takes his knees out. Then our nickel guy Groce gets hurt, and our penny (can't say he's worth a dime) Garrett gets a concussion. This isn't the New England defense. Or the New England salary cap. Not sure you would call what we have Safeties unless you are an opposing teams TE that needs a confidence boost. Even Archuleta, though has been hurt, is having a rough year.

With the defense we have, and the money going to the offensive side of the ball, the offense had to be better. What happens? Turley and Wohlobaugh go out BEFORE OUR FIRST PRESEASON GAME. Uggghhh. That's worse than Lucy pulling the ball away before Charley Brown can kick it. Faulk is having a decent year but for the money he's making he isn't earning his salary. I've never seen him drop so many passes as he does now.

What does this mean? We better clean some house. Not coaching, players. Take pay cuts or go. Go out and get a slobber knocker LB. Let Aeneas retire and find a S. Tell Arch to lay off the pinky pushups which may impress the females but it dosen't do him a dad gum bit of good stopping a TE in the passing game. Ask Coady to go coach somewhere. Tell Garrett, who I had high hopes for this year, to find a relay team. Tommy Polley? Good luck in the FA market. Faulk? Either trim the salary or you get trimmed off the roster. Pace? We need three more lineman who want to play. Either sign long term or go to that "team" called the Browns. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: My take on the team....for what it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    What does this mean? We better clean some house. Not coaching, players.
    I'm with you until here. Cleaning house means coaching also. I'm not going to open a can of whup-ass on eM & eM for the moment for obvious reasons, but I can't imagine many people thinking that the O-line coaches, and the ST & D coaches having done much to keep their jobs. At this point there are no sacred cows that have earned protection - coaches, players, and FO alike.

elAcky Guest

Agree Tx and also Adarian...

Martz was growing on me until this last game… then I woke up and realised that if we were in a different division we would be 1-8…. The coaching staff need to be cleaned out also…

RamTime Guest

Hey Tx
    fftopic:
    I have never figured this signature out however I have always thought that,
    Marc Bulger - Rambassador of Kwan
    kinda sounded good.

now don't laugh, remember the "RamFan Horny and looking to score" phrase? It got me a shirt and maybe this can get you one to. LOL

It's from the movie Jerry McGwire...sp. When Cuba Gooding, JR called Tom Cruise his "Ambassador of Kwan"....

RamTime Guest

Oh.

Well that eplains why I couldnt figure it out.
    I Never saw the move.
    In fact I don't watch to many movies at all. The last time I went out to watch a movie it was E.T. the original release and I was at a drive in and didn't see much of that movie either. Most people think that is weird. It probably is.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Tx, excelent post. I appreciate your "state of the union" address on the current Rams defense. In watching the games I often am not sure which unit on the 'D' is not doing its job. My question is how do you evaluate or what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of the LBers from that of the D-Line.
    I would appreciate any input on this subject.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Here's my 5 step plan:

1. Embrace the youth of the team. There are only three older vets that I would keep. Isaac Bruce (who is still a top 10 receiver), Andy McCollum and Adam Timmerman (still are doing their job). Elevate the status of Steven Jackson and give an even bigger role to Curtis and McDonald. Try to get something for Faulk, let Aeneas retire gracefully (maybe make him a coach) and say goodbye to Sean Landetta and Tommy Polley.

2. Find a defensive leader. Probably in free agency. Hopefully a LB (Hartwell, K.Bell).

3. Find the right role for Archuleta. He needs to (1) improve his coverage skills - particularly on TEs, (2) beef up and become an OLB, or (3) be traded to a team that can afford his lopsided game.

4. Bolster the O line. Broken record, I know, but it can be done. I think its time to rethink the "we don't spend high draft choices on OL" policy. Also need to look at FAs.

5. Money Management: signing Pace to a long term, cap friendly deal is the top offseason priority. I'd also like to see the Rams try to trade Faulk (yes, Faulk), Leonard Little (if he's not in jail), and possibly Robert Thomas.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Another thing about coaches being exempt from the house cleaning, which I am truly asking, is wasn't the defense completely blown up and rebuilt once already? Right, wrong or indifferent, Martz was in charge(overall) when that happened.

If you want to put it on Lovie for his design, then I take it a step further and blame Martz. He inherited Giunta(sp?) but hasn't he brought in Lovie and now Marmie? If Martz doesn't know or care enough about the defense that he leaves it in the hands of others maybe he should be taken out of the loop altogether when it comes to helping choose a coordinator too.

This all might sound a little harsh, but apparently Martz doesn't know what a good d-coordinator for the Rams is supposed to look like. A special teams coach for that matter. I'm pretty sure the Rams will give Martz at least another year but he has taken a huge shot to his credibility with Marmie this year and his drafts in general are going to catch up to him also.

At this point, the Rams seem to once again be a laughing stock and I can't imagine the brass at Rams park is too happy about that. Martz needs to right his ship or he will be facing the cold hard facts about coaching that Wannstedt has realized already. Winning % is nice, but it makes a differnce how you get there and how far you go when it matters most.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Last year, Ram fans wanted Bobby April's head on a platter.

This year, Bobby April is the toast of Buffalo.

That means 1 of two things:

1. Its the players, not the coaches, that determine how a team (or unit) plays; or

2. Fans don't have the ability to determine how a coach is impacting performance.

You know what, its probably both.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well I dunno anymore tx....

Who's baby is this Rams team?

I'm not sure anyone is cryin for Lovie, rather they are screaming for Marmie to go while comparing him to Lovie. And just why is Lovie to blame about the LB corp? Seems we had the well coined T3 last season, maybe is wasn't deserved, but they produced under his scheme and leadership.

Offensive line problems you say? Gee wiz didn't we have those in past seasons? I recall one of those seasons leading to the injuries received by a certain MVP QB. It is a wonder that Bulger has been able to avoid injury so far. A fan would think one resident offensive genius would learn that offensive lineman can and do get hurt in this league. Where are the O-lineman waiting in the wings?

Certainly there have been injuries and a drop in talent, but I have seen very little in the ability of the coaching to offset these problems. If players are called upon to step up then shouldn't coaches be required to do the same? I just don't see Martz and his staff stepping up and quite frankly I am beginning to think they should be stepping down and out.

:ramlogo:

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Ferter,
    I agree with you once again. Martz chooses the players and the coaches. It is his job to prepare them for success, to plan for injuries and to adapt schemes to what the opposition is throwing at us. He is arrogant enough to believe that he can plan on the fly and train up any player and just plug them in. His coaching staff has yet to prove that they can do this on a consistent basis. Teams that are prepared in the offseason and coaches that do their planning then, rather than on the fly, are successful on a weekly basis. Martz has yet to prove that he can draft self-motivated players or prepare a team consistently week in and week out. I am not calling for his head; just questioning his style and preparation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    Tx, excelent post. I appreciate your "state of the union" address on the current Rams defense. In watching the games I often am not sure which unit on the 'D' is not doing its job. My question is how do you evaluate or what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of the LBers from that of the D-Line.
    I would appreciate any input on this subject.
    Well, I look at it this way. The D line has stepped up against the run by taking on blockers and allowing the LB's to make the play. Our problem is that Polley and whoever is playing MLB aren't making tackles. Then, the secondary has to make the play and we all saw the doe si doe that Coady did to Alexander as he ran down the field. I thought the announcer was going to have to say "Promenade left" or something.

Another thing is our coverage of the TE. We are always "in position" to make a play but the opposing TE seems to be the one coming down with the ball. Archuleta still struggles in pass coverage and so does Coady. Sure, they are always in position but they don't finish the job.

moklerman is offline Registered User

There's something else that I've been thinking about and that's the preperation against familiar opponents vs. unfamiliar. How often do we play the Dolphins, Bills, etc.? It seems like there's something there than I can't put my finger on. The Rams seem to make a game of it against NFC teams, especially in the West. But the less familiar a team the more they seem to struggle. Is this coaching? Matchups?

Damn, there's something there and I'm just not putting the pieces together.

A little help...?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It has not been a cinderella season this season. The injuries are plentiful and the swagger is missing.

They should use Archuleta in areas that he excels rather than spread him all over the defense.

The O line is a weakness and Martz needs to find alternatives to keep Bulger safe when the opponent has a good defensive line, like the Bills did this week. Suggestions....Put Bulger in shotgun more often. Simplify the offensive razzle dazzle so that plays can get moving quicker. Throw more quick screens for short yardage. Whatever the case, plays that take a long time to develop should be kept at a minimum if the defense is overtaking the offensive line.

They should take a good look at coaching styles for special teams, the O line, and the defense. Preparation seems to be an area of weakness. I am not sure who analyzes the opponents and watches film. I would imagine both the coaches and the players should be watching film closely to anticipate the opponent's strategy for game day. Are they watching enough film?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]