Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My take on why we are winning and Losing...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

My take on why we are winning and Losing...

Defense: as i pointed out in Nicks post game observations our defense has been playing pretty dang good as of late. i will show the stats again incase anyone hasnt seen.

1st 6 games-
    20.66 1st downs per game allowed
    410.3 total yards per game allowed
    226.5 pass yards per game allowed
    183.8 rush yards per game allowed
    26.83 points per game allowed

Last 3 games-
    13.66 1st downs per game allowed
    293.3 total yards per game allowed
    209.3 pass yards per game allowed
    84 rush yards per game allowed
    17.33 points per game allowed

Now you can say its due to the schedule blah blah, but we still lose people every week, and the defense is still playing great as of late. maybe they are finally getting there act together, who knows. none of us do. They have been stricken by the injury bug the most, but are right now playing great IMO.
    Without our defense we have no chance these last 3 games. They have been more above average to say the least. Without them we are winless.

The problem is the offense in my eyes. And here is why:

1. almost no offseason to establish McD's offense.
    2. McD's offense is based on a 2 TE set of pass catching TE's. we havent had that in the least. Even if Kendricks shined like he did in pre-season thatd give us only one pass catching TE, which isnt truly how the system works, but none the less Kendricks had severly underperformed. Making his offense completly off balance of what he was trying to integrate.
    3. The offensive line seemed to have been built purely for a 3 drop pass and nothing more. Smith is a bust, Saffold has been possesed by Barron, the line has been run over constintly giving Bradford a case of the Bulgers. Horrendes line play and penalties are no good for any team.
    4. Steven Jackson can only do so much. he puts the team on his back every game. he is the heart and soul of this team. He is not a problem, but relying on him to win the game for us every game is a problem. Without SJax we are winless, pure and simple in my eyes.
    5. WR's...do i even have to go into it with them? we finally have Lloyd, but having one wr isnt as good as having 2 or 3 or 4. yes, i am saying we only have 1 wr now. Salas was imporving but was lost, Pettis is improving, but not near the rate of Salas, Danny boy the human safety net was lost. Gibby is a ghost more then not. DX is injury plagued, but hopefully returns this week to take some pressure off bradford from staring down Lloyd. Clayton is probably still learning this offense and i dont see him as 100% healthy.
    6. Bradford: now dont get me wrong im not bashing him here, but yes his play has been subpar, but can you blame him with all the tools that are around him? I still believe he will take us to the promised land.
    7. I know a lot of you may disagree with this but....McD is not the problem, like i said earlier, his 2 TE system has collapsed on him due to poor play and injury, and lack of wr talent. i believe he is out of his comfort zone, doubt hes ever had to deal with this kind of mess anytime in his career. Yes it his job to adjust and make it work, but IMO he has 1 real wr now to work with and no TE's that fit his system in the least bit. Gibson isnt that great in my eyes, Pettis is slowly learning how to play, but to slow to make a big impact right now, DX should be coming back and lets hope that gives us even the smallest of spark, Clayton hopefully isnt a ghost next week. Hopefully Kendricks comes back and catches some balls. Besides that what is there?

Any opinions on this is welcome, positive or negative.

This is just what i see at the moment.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: My take on why we are winning and Losing...

My perception is that a pass-catchinig 2TE system has really only been used in New England since McDaniels left. Last year, he traded away the team's top tight end in Tony Scheffler, and I don't know who is starting there now. The Patriots of yore used Desmon Clark and Ben Watson for a while - Watson as the speedy catcher, Clark as the blocking TE.

Regardless, I agree with the principle: Nowhere near enough time to install an offense as complicated as this one supposedly is.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

What is really amazing is what the coaching staff has been able to put together on defense with all of the injuries. It has to be frustrating for them to get one hole in the dike plugged and next week two more show up. As far as the offense goes, I think that you are right there. I think that we would be doing a better this year if we were still in the West Coast. I think that it will be a whole different deal next year when the whole offense is on the same page.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Was never a fan of the Kendricks pick, and we now see why our draft grade for the second round was pretty bad.

I don't believe in reaching to draft someone that will "supposedly" fit the system. I never saw Kendricks as the next Aaron Hernandez, and I don't think he ever will.

Maybe another year or two to gain experience he will improve, but regardless, what a reach.

Hoomanawanui is a better pass catcher than Kendricks, just can't stay healthy. He has some really underrated catching skills.

I also feel like McDaniels has not done enough work or has not had enough time to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of this team, and is not fully utilizing each player correctly. It still looks like players are not being used correctly, and are underperforming from last year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    My perception is that a pass-catchinig 2TE system has really only been used in New England since McDaniels left. Last year, he traded away the team's top tight end in Tony Scheffler, and I don't know who is starting there now. The Patriots of yore used Desmon Clark and Ben Watson for a while - Watson as the speedy catcher, Clark as the blocking TE.

Regardless, I agree with the principle: Nowhere near enough time to install an offense as complicated as this one supposedly is.
    This is what I've been saying forever. McDaniels never ran the 2 TE system.. Im not sure where people get this implication from? They started running it when he went to Denver. And like you mentioned, as soon as he arrived he traded away their best TE Tony Scheffler who is now with Linehan in Detroit...whatta surprise.

Other than that this is one the best posts I've seen around here in a long time. The defense clearly believes in Spags. As of late their playing amazing. If our offense was anything above horrible, this record would be a lot different. Not to mention that we've lost 7 CB's to IR! 7! No team in this NFL would be good if they lost 7 CB's to IR, and their 4 starting CB's at that too.

I believe next year if we have a solid draft and FA period we can really turn this thing around. Bartell and Fletcher are an excellent combo, and in my opinion a top 15 tandem in the league. We snag Blackmon and let our offense feed off his excitement a play making ability. I kind of like the fact that hes a diva, because he will bring some swag to this school girl team. Give Spags a piece or two to play with from FA or the draft and he will work magic.

I truly still believe in Spags. I want him around here. At least for now.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Was never a fan of the Kendricks pick, and we now see why our draft grade for the second round was pretty bad.

I don't believe in reaching to draft someone that will "supposedly" fit the system. I never saw Kendricks as the next Aaron Hernandez, and I don't think he ever will.

Maybe another year or two to gain experience he will improve, but regardless, what a reach.

Hoomanawanui is a better pass catcher than Kendricks, just can't stay healthy. He has some really underrated catching skills.

I also feel like McDaniels has not done enough work or has not had enough time to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of this team, and is not fully utilizing each player correctly. It still looks like players are not being used correctly, and are underperforming from last year.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. From a fan standpoint you may think the pick looks stupid but it isn't. He showed flashes of what he was capable in the pre-season. If that doesn't please you, Im not sure what will.

It's not a reach. He fits the system, we had a huge need at TE, and hes a talented player. It kind of shocked us, sure. But clearly in hindsight it was a nice pick. Hooman is a 6 year old girl playing ball, and Bajema should never step on a football field.

Not to mention that Bradford LOVES checking down to his TE's. Had he been concentrating early in the season, and caught all those passes he dropped, you'd be saying it was a great pick.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What has hurt us the most is when Linehan and crew drafted like 1,000 tightends and we still had to use our 2nd pick on a TE!
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What has hurt us the most is when Linehan and crew drafted like 1,000 tightends and we still had to use our 2nd pick on a TE!
    that is true, woulda been nice if they drafted a competent TE....Linehan and Shaw and Co. def didnt leave us with much to work with and grow and develop for some years.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I couldn't disagree with this more. From a fan standpoint you may think the pick looks stupid but it isn't. He showed flashes of what he was capable in the pre-season. If that doesn't please you, Im not sure what will.

It's not a reach. He fits the system, we had a huge need at TE, and hes a talented player. It kind of shocked us, sure. But clearly in hindsight it was a nice pick. Hooman is a 6 year old girl playing ball, and Bajema should never step on a football field.

Not to mention that Bradford LOVES checking down to his TE's. Had he been concentrating early in the season, and caught all those passes he dropped, you'd be saying it was a great pick.
    Couldnt agree more, if Kendricks doesnt let everydown in reg season and played like he did in pre season everyone would be praising this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

He showed flashes because defenses didn't respect him. He's not that great. It's pre-season. They probably had Jim Bob III from Northern Montana State promoted from the practice squad to cover him.

Just because he "fits" the system, does not justify a reach. And hell, he was a reach. And in hindsight, it was a bad pick. There were many more talented players available we could have drafted that could have made a bigger impact so far than Kendricks.

Greg Little
    Torrey Smith
    Randall Cobb
    Da'Quan Bowers
    Stephen Paea
    Stephen Wiznewski
    Mikel LeShoure
    Marvin Austin

And instead of blaming it on concentration issues, maybe his hands just aren't that great.

richtree is offline Registered User

I agree with the above posters that we may have had Kendricks in the 3rd round., and what we passed up in talent is greatly hurting our progress......Pettis's turnaround has been good...but we need atheltes...

NOTE TO RAMS !!!!!!!!! THIS DRAFT IS LOADED WITH ATHLETES IN ROUND 1-4 -- MAYBE MORE THAN LAST 5 YEARS....LETS GO !!!!!!!!
    RockinRam and ManofGod like this.

He showed flashes because defenses didn't respect him. He's not that great. It's pre-season. They probably had Jim Bob III from Northern Montana State promoted from the practice squad to cover him.

Just because he "fits" the system, does not justify a reach. And hell, he was a reach. And in hindsight, it was a bad pick. There were many more talented players available we could have drafted that could have made a bigger impact so far than Kendricks.

Greg Little
    Torrey Smith
    Randall Cobb
    Da'Quan Bowers
    Stephen Paea
    Stephen Wiznewski
    Mikel LeShoure
    Marvin Austin

And instead of blaming it on concentration issues, maybe his hands just aren't that great.
    every year there are players that we can look back on and say what if. guess what, 24 other teams passed up on those players you mentioned. How many players takin in the 1st or 2nd didnt play up to what was expected? a lot im sure.

the draft is a crap shoot, that is all there is to it. give Kendricks sometime, i give him at least next year before i write him off.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There were many more talented players available we could have drafted that could have made a bigger impact so far than Kendricks.

Greg Little
    Torrey Smith
    Randall Cobb
    Da'Quan Bowers
    Stephen Paea
    Stephen Wiznewski
    Mikel LeShoure
    Marvin Austin
    Huge overstatement. LeShoure and Austin were injured in preseason, so I'm not sure how you concluded that they would have been more productive than Kendricks.

For what its worth, Kendricks leads all rookie TEs in receptions and receiving yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    every year there are players that we can look back on and say what if. guess what, 24 other teams passed up on those players you mentioned. How many players takin in the 1st or 2nd didnt play up to what was expected? a lot im sure.

the draft is a crap shoot, that is all there is to it. give Kendricks sometime, i give him at least next year before i write him off.
    I am replying to him saying in hindsight the pick was good. No, the pick from hindsight does not look good at all. That's what hindsight is, looking back and seeing the what if's and the possibilities.

The draft is a crap shoot, to an extent. You do your research, and you get out of it what you put in..most of the time. Kendricks was never projected to be more than a third round pick. And I can see why.

I'm not trying to hate on Kendricks. He does have the potential to be a good contributor. However, I do not think it was good drafting on our part, and especially McDaniel's part if he had a say in this, which he probably did.

It's like saying we need a punter over 6'2 because we like tall people on our team, so we pick a punter way too early. Hey, but he fits our scheme right?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Huge overstatement. LeShoure and Austin were injured in preseason, so I'm not sure how you concluded that they would have been more productive than Kendricks.

For what its worth, Kendricks leads all rookie TEs in receptions and receiving yards.
    Exactly. They would have been in a different situation here, and may or may not have gotten injured. However, they probably would have contributed more than Kendricks, whose production is minimal.

And I don't give too much weight on that stat; the TE class last year was pretty bad. Hence why Kendricks was a reach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast