AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My thoughts on Martz (and the answer to "Where's Av?")

Contrary to popular opinion, I have not been at the S.F.F.C./B.M.H.A. (Super Friends Fan Club/Bernie Miklasz Haters of America) convention. No, my absence has been for far more mundane reasons. My work has me very busy, as I am preparing to argue before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals next week (thanks to MOM for filling in on "Mock Gambling" and HUbison for taking over the "Book of SpiralHorns" for a while).

While I had intended to remain silent for a couple of weeks, I decided to make one exception and post my thoughts on the Mike Martz situation, before I fade back to the shadows for a while.

First and foremost, I join everyone in wishing Coach Martz a speedy recovery. He is a good man with a family, and his health is far more important than any concerns over the game of football.

The impact of this situation will be intriguing to watch develop. If the Rams turn things around, I fear that there will be many who will see that as ammunition against Coach Martz. That would, to a large extent, be unfair, as Coach Martz has "set the table" for whatever comes next. If the Rams go South, perhaps the entire coaching staff is in jeopardy.

I read Bernie's piece this morning urging Coach Martz to resign now. My feelings on this are mixed. On the one hand, Bernie may be right. A prolonged respite and change of scenery may be the best thing for Coach Martz. On the other hand, I donít think it is Bernie's place to be telling Coach Martz what to do in this situation. Bernie oversteps his bounds, and comes across as his arrogant self, when he supports his plea by proclaiming that Coach Martz is paranoid (BM's not a psychologist) and that stress will impede his recovery (BM's not a physician). I also think that Bernie's focus on the Martz-bashers as a reason for Martz to consider resigning is misplaced. The Martz bashers are a highly vocal minority who should not be given a "mob veto power" to Martz's coaching tenure.

I guess my point is this. Everyone in this situation needs to understand and stay within their appropriate roles:

Fans need to be in Coach Martz's corner with prayers and well wishes.

Reporters should do the same, and report on his status without playing amateur physician.

The front office needs to stabilize the situation, while continuing to consider the teams' long term interests.

The team needs to rally behind the interim coaching staff, and play their hearts out.

And, finally, Coach Martz should focus on getting well.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My thoughts on Martz (and the answer to "Where's Av?")

Av has left the building, but it's good to hear he's still around!

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

I could not agree more on all counts.

Oh, and you're welcome.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

So Avenger has time to go read Bernie's thoughts....but he has no time for us. Alright, so be it.

Perhaps Avenger is a fair weather fan.:moon:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

AV, I could have sworn I heard you on the Rome show the other day.

Sure your not J from South Beach?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice piece AV, good to here from you.

ps- good luck with your case.

:clanram:

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Hey Perry Mason,get'er done and cruise back in the house! This team of ours stinks about now so don't be hatin'.:tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!