Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

Fastcat is offline Registered User

My thoughts on Sam Bradford

First off i would like to say Im looking for Sam to succeed and im not writing him off but his play is alarming.

Pocket Presence
    This is the most concerning thing of them all... His presence is god awful. He sees, hears, and feels pressure and just stands there and takes the hit instead of moving around in the pocket. He barely even moves up in the pocket either. He knows just like we ALL know the line isnt that good. Kellen clemens and austin davis move around in the pocket when the pass pro breaks down, aj feely and the guy from last year (forgto his name) that we cut and the browns picked him up off waivers bought time in the pocket too... So why cant sam? This has been going on for 2 years now. He acts like a robot, like he's programmed to stand in one spot no matter whats going on around him. Remember his rookie year when he was constantly on the move with roll outs and such? Those where designed roll outs and boots, he was told to do that... But give him a clean pocket with alot of time he's pretty good, except for his deep ball, which is my next point.

Deep Ball
    He consistantly over throws recievers on deep routes and fades in the back of the endzone... Even with a clean pocket and plenty of time. Personally i can look pass this if he could make a play.

Make A Play
    I have seen Sam make ONE play in 3yrs... When he ran down Ron Harper after throwing an int his rookie year. But I do take into account the pass 2yrs the wr corp dropped a ton of balls. He rarely buys time to escape a sack, or for his wr to get open and makes a key conversion, or just turn a nothing play into something. Im sorry to say he just doesnt have IT. When things break down he does too.... Too Consistantly!

Leadership?
    I really dont know what to call this exactly (hence the ?), but after EVERY single failed drive dating back to his 1st game in a Rams uni, he walks off the field looking puzzled or with his head down. Unsnapping his chin strap with his right hand, lol pay attention if u never noticed. And on the sideline i cant recall one time ive seen him talking to the wr, line, or rb units. Granted they dont keep the camera on him 24/7 but i have never seen it in 3yrs so far.

I really want Sam to atleast be a very good qb. In an idea word I want him to be a futuer HOFer. If he was on a good established team he would probably be a top 10 if not top 5 qb imo. But we are what we are... And as long as our line blocks like this and Sam acts like a robot we wont be effective on offense... Atleast it looks like the wr corp will hold on to the ball this year

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

I just dont get his inability to play the QB position. I really hate to say that. I mean, Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler, and Big Ben have terrible offensive lines, and yet they still move around the pocket and make big plays. I mean, look at Andrew Luck. He was put into a terrible position, terrible. The worst offensive offensive line in the NFL by far, and barely any weapons, and yet he continues to have the best pocket presence I've ever seen for a rookie, climbs the pocket, and makes deadly accurate throws where only his guy can get it, and they do.

I really hope things can change this year.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

No doubt the first focus is on Sammy B. However, the OL is right there up with the need to step up.

The thing is that our multi-trillion dollar QB looked bad on a few plays when he did have protection and time to throw the ball with better results.

Rams coaches are going to have to work very closely and consistently with Bradford to help him unwind and prove his mettle.

I can just imagine what this may turn out to be if he doesn't play well the first game or two...

Rambos is offline Registered User

In Sam We Trust

“You look at the physical measurables and you’re talking about a young man that’s tall, can stand in the pocket, has great posture, great poise,” Cignetti told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He can make all the throws. He has great movement.

“You look at Sam, you see a quarterback capable of doing all the things you’d like to do (on offense).”

itsguud is offline Registered User

I agree with everything that has been said. At this point my dedication to the team tells me if Sam can't get it done the Rams need to open up a legit QB competition and make him earn the role. At this point his career is headed for a Brady Quinn signal caller role on a franchise. I just want to figure this out sooner rather then later. Have someone play in front of him for a couple of years and let him try and develop, or step it up and become the QB for the Rams. Just don't drag it out like we did with Bulger after he became shell shocked.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    In Sam We Trust

“You look at the physical measurables and you’re talking about a young man that’s tall, can stand in the pocket, has great posture, great poise,” Cignetti told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He can make all the throws. He has great movement.

“You look at Sam, you see a quarterback capable of doing all the things you’d like to do (on offense).”
    Would they say anything different about Sam?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Would they say anything different about Sam?
    When you say they... you mean the coaching staff. It's more then what they said it's what they did. We all know Fisher took the job because Bradford was here already. Unlike Tebow, when a staff does not have you in the plans they move on quickly. If Fisher and or the staff did not think he has what it takes do you really think they would have passed on RGIII? No one forced them to keep Bradford they could have traded him to the Browns in a heart beat.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

I dont doubt his ability to be a top 10 NFL quarterback

There was a 6 game stretch his rookie year where he threw 11 TDs and 1 INT while completing 64% of his passes. Its not like he has yet to play good football at any stretch of time in his very short career.

Why should we lose all faith in him because he had a sophomore slump when he and the entire team were plagued by injuries? Instead of dropping all the blame on Bradford, how about the front office for not giving him a star receiver that the Staffords, Daltons, and Newtons of the world have? All they have done is draft offensive linemen which turned out to be mediocre at best.

Bradford's game can stand alot of improvement, yes. The OP makes that clear. But everything around Bradford can stand alot of improvement as well.
    mikhal5569 and atlheff like this.

In Sam We Trust

Its not Sam's physical attributes, its the intangables... His mental game.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Here we go!

live4ramin and rammiser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Its not Sam's physical attributes, its the intangables... His mental game.
    Really the kid has learned three scheme in three years. I was listening to Peyton Manning today and he could not believe how hard it is to learn new system. If you are saying he has David Carr syndrome, I'm not buying that one.

Work ethic check
    Smart Check
    Passionate about football Check

The guy is a high paid draft pick and is living the life... He's going to get hammered until he delivers by most fans and media which is fine by me. I think when all is said and done he becomes an elite QB...
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    rammiser and atlheff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Here we go!
    I know, I just wanted to watch the Jets tonight and have a beer
    live4ramin likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Here we go!
    Couldn't have it any other way, could we?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Maybe we should have got RGIII and traded Sammy...
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Really the kid has learned three scheme in three years. I was listening to Peyton Manning today and he could not believe how hard it is to learn new system. If you are saying he has David Carr syndrome, I'm not buying that one.

Work ethic check
    Smart Check
    Passionate about football Check

The guy is a high paid draft pick and is living the life... He's going to get hammered until he delivers by most fans and media which is fine by me. I think when all is said and done he becomes an elite QB...
    I said exactly what i meant in my original post. Not saying he has the battered qb sydrome. Im not questioning anything that we all cant see (your checks). Im not even jumping off the Bradford bandwagon. But changing systems has zero to do with pocket awareness! Pocket awareness is in your head... Right or wrong? Changing systems has zero to do with a play breaking down and improvising to make something out of nothing... Thats based on how fast u compute whats going on around you, right or wrong? And im not saying he has never shown these things, but he has RARELY shown it. Like my hs football coached use to tell us, "the eye in the sky dont lie".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast