Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Maybe we should have got RGIII and traded Sammy...
    Right, because RGIII is a sure thing. After all, he's played in 3 preseason games, so he's really proven himself.
    rammiser likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think any pre-season evaluation of the quarterback in particular should be held in check to some degree, because I feel like that position more than any other on the field would probably benefit from the specific gameplanning and full playbook that are available in the regular season but limited in the pre-season. Having said that, gameplan or no gameplan, scheme or no scheme, you still want to see your players execute the plays that are called and execute them well. You still want to see good, fundamental football.

With that in mind, I think the criticisms about Sam’s pocket presence and pocket mobility are valid. He does not move particularly well in the pocket to evade pressure and does not seem to sense when defenders are closing in on him. Last night, Sam Bradford was under duress. But Tony Romo was under duress as well; Robert Quinn and others got into the backfield to harass him. The difference is Romo responded by stepping into the pocket, evading defenders, and even at one point spinning away from Quinn in order to extend the play and make a downfield throw.

I'm reminded of what Greg Cosell wrote about in regards to Bradford in 2011…

What really stood out as the year progressed was Bradford’s reaction to pressure — the issue that first surfaced in his rookie season against Kansas City. It is easy to place the blame on the Rams’ poor pass protection, but that circumvents the more essential point. You must be able to function effectively in a muddied and noisy pocket to play quarterback well in the NFL, and Bradford began to perceive pressure that was not there. He was anticipating the rush, and you cannot perform that way, no matter what kind of talent you have throwing the football.
    I think the bolded part really separates the good quarterbacks from the great ones. Conditions are not always going to be ideal. Sam Bradford is hardly the only quarterback in this league to face pressure; all of them do, every game. How a quarterback reacts to that pressure can mean the difference between offensive success and a punt.

Last night, Bradford did not look like he trusted his protection. Most of us would agree that he has good reason to feel this way, because his protection is not and has not been good. But regardless of that point, he can't function effectively with this mindset. As Cosell says, you can’t perform efficiently if you’re anticipating the rush rather than doing your job. You have to be able to function even under adverse circumstances, because conditions are rarely ideal in the NFL. Even the league's best teams have their faults.

The good news is this: when Bradford has a clean pocket and hasn’t had his confidence damaged by the opposition's pressure, he’s capable of making amazing throws. The pass to Kendricks last night early in the game was phenomenal. Sam delivered some outstanding passes against Kansas City as well when he was well protected. He has the physical ability and the mental acumen to be successful in this league. He has the work ethic to continue striving towards excellence.

Those excellent quarterbacks are the ones who are able to find success and make plays for their teams even in poor circumstances. There is no doubt - NO DOUBT - that this Rams team needs more talent around Sam. They need better talent on the offensive line and they need their weapons on the outside to be more reliable and effective. But they also need their quarterback to do everything he can to help this team out by playing as well as he can. That means standing tall in the pocket, going through your progressions and seeing the whole field, evading the rush and buying time for the play to develop, and making an accurate throw.

We didn’t see much of that from Sam Bradford last night, but he has the ability to do it. We’ve all seen it before. The big question for Sam in 2012, I think, is whether he can overcome the circumstances around him, play efficient football, and take that next step towards becoming a great player, or if he becomes a victim of circumstances and allows the poor play around him to affect his own ability and performance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is online now Registered User

The good news is this: when Bradford has a clean pocket and hasn’t had his confidence damaged by the opposition's pressure, he’s capable of making amazing throws. The pass to Kendricks last night early in the game was phenomenal. Sam delivered some outstanding passes against Kansas City as well when he was well protected. He has the physical ability and the mental acumen to be successful in this league. He has the work ethic to continue striving towards excellence. -- Nick
    That pass was real nice!

We didn’t see much of that from Sam Bradford last night, but he has the ability to do it. We’ve all seen it before. The big question for Sam in 2012, I think, is whether he can overcome the circumstances around him, play efficient football, and take that next step towards becoming a great player, or if he becomes a victim of circumstances and allows the poor play around him to affect his own ability and performance.

That is the question indeed. Indeed my friend, indeed. I sure hope SB will achieve positive consistency.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think Nick stated the case very clearly on all fronts. Sam Bradford has certainly had his share of difficulty not of his own making- poor o-line, lack of big time receivers, 3 systems in 3 years and an ankle injury. But Sam has got to play better- period. He needs to find a way to perform at the level many thought he was capable of performing at when he was taken with the first pick in the draft. He was given a hefty contract and expected to become the face of this franchise. He was entrusted with the tall task of returning the Rams to respectability. So far, the results have been a decidedly mixed bag. At times, he's shown the capability of being a top QB; at other times, he looks lost and out of sync. Consistency is an issue.

Sam needs to rise above adversity- Many other QB's some good, some not-so-good effectively deal with less than stellar surroundings. Ben Roethlisberger takes a tremendous pounding and finds a way to complete passes and do his part in winning games. For years, Dan Marino put up huge numbers with no running game at all. Cam Newton certainly had a good year last year and no one is confusing the Carolina Panthers with the Steelers glory teams of the 70's. We could go on and on.

No one questions his effort. No one questions his desire to be successful. But his ability to elevate his game is very much in question. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE year for him and will go a long way in determining whether he's the guy we all thought he was and hope he is.

This is the minimum of what I want to see from a healthy Sam Bradford this year:

20-22 TD's
    Maximum of 10 picks
    Between 3200-3700 yards
    improved pocket presence
    an ability to take over a game from time to time

Obviously he can't do it alone. But with so many other areas in question, we cannot afford to have these same questions with the QB position for much longer.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

As Sam goes, so the Rams.

I hate to say it, but when it comes to Sam, I'm beginning to think of Marc Bulger far too much for my liking.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right, because RGIII is a sure thing. After all, he's played in 3 preseason games, so he's really proven himself.
    yeah but manning was already taken... or was he anyways cant we get warner faulk bruce and holt to unretire? our version of the expendables
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -08-27-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Bulger + sam = coachkilla's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

For me the starting QB on any team has to have the ability to make everyone around him better. Whether it be his physical abilities, leadership or just plain football knowledge. He has to be the on the field general and at the same time gain the trust and respect of his teammates. This has to carry over to the sidelines as well. Does Sam Bradford have these credentials? I'm not so sure but this is the year to find out.

This is what I love about the preseason. All this patient, thoughtful commentary.

I truly look forward to all the upcoming ”draft Matt Barkley” threads.

Me... I'm sticking with Sam. Why? Because people who have played in, or coached in the NFL see something special in him, and when he has time to throw, I see it too.
    Curly Horns and HUbison like this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

As Marshal Faulk stated, we were telegraphing pass or run every time the offense went out on the field.

Of course the offense was just about as vanilla as it gets. I think it's hard to be successful when your opponent knows exactly what you're going to do before you do it.

While I agree that he's not the most mobile quarterback, I just can't criticize Sam on those sacks. If you actually compare the pressure, and wow did pretty much all of the starters have a bad game, but you see that there's no containment when the Rams pressure the QB. There was room enough to run for a first down, and boy did Quinn ever get burned on some runs.

Then when you watch the Cowboys, their pressure is much slower coming but actually contains SB. And that's a huge difference to me. That said, there were was a sack he ate so fast on a blitzer that he really should have been able to pick up and capitalize on by now.

Just saying that the pressure generated by the Rams was nothing to compare to. I'm glad it's only preseason
    Curly Horns likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I have a feeling if Bradford has ups and downs, as he will, that we will see one of these types of threads after every down game. How about we wait until the regular season and see how it plays out?

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I salute you, Nick. The lone voice (well...almost) of objectivity, in a sea of delusion!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I salute you, Nick. The lone voice (well...almost) of objectivity, in a sea of delusion!
    Given the source, I think Nick should take that as an insult.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    I didnt make this post solely on this past game. If you go back ive been saying the same exact things about SB for the last past year. I hope he pans out but realistically if this continues he wont. We cant protect him and he wont move in the pocket so he gets drilled. He is going down the Bulger path, imo. But the difference is Sam is mobile, but he doesnt use his mobility, which just baffles me.

richtree is offline Registered User

I would like to see 2 full quarters of the Oline with Dahl and then I willl decide....still wish I saw more from Bradford , even if it was just him throwing a 65 yard bomb one time to stretch is arm out....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast