Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

As Av said, the experts that do this for a living are not questioning him as a young QB with elite NFL potential. It's the fan like us that have expectation that may or may not be realistic.

He's played two years. Would you question his talent after year one? Is it fair to say he was hurt last year? If last year was his first year and his rookie years was his last year, how would you feel?

I also am a fan that would like to see him slide away form pressure and make some plays down field. I also would like to see him be more comfortable in the pocket. Having said that, I need to remind myself he has only played two years, under lets say not ideal conditions.

I remember when the Rams drafted Bradford, the big question was, would the Rams be able to protect Bradford. That was a fair question considering, Warner and Marc where both hammered in the system we ran and the lack of talent on the O line. The results are in and they have not done it.

The Rams organization made a very poor choice last year to change the system and not too hire a QB coach. Then they followed that up with playing Bradford after he got hurt. I don't think we need to take a poll to see if that was the right thing to do. Bradford was not mobile and took an unnecessary beating. Is this the way you protect your 50 million dollar investment? Is this the way you develop a young QB? The results from last year, we have a QB that is clearly unfortunate in the pocket.

In steps Fisher, it's not what he says, it what he has done in his career. He runs the ball and protects his QB. Just what the doctor ordered if you ask me. If I had 50 million dollars invested, I would prefer the more conservative approach that Fisher is going to take then the high risk and the results of the last regime.

This year I think Bradford will look more or less like he did in his rookie year. The fans will rage on comparing him to the hot rookie QB if this year and the 10 year vet that had a great year. that comes with being the number one overall pick.

My goal for Bradford is this, much like my retirement accounts, I don't need them to be at the highest value until I need them. I've had years when the values goes up and years when the value goes down. No need to get too excited or too bummed over it, just stay the course. In three years Bradford needs to be playing at his highest level, when we have cashed out all those draft picks and rebuilt the talent on this team. He needs to grow into what the experts believe he can be and what the fans want him to be!

Go Rams!

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Rambos, no one is questioning his talent. He's got that. His intangables are being questioned. If last year was his rookie year no one would have faith in him, am I right? Good thing it wasnt. Sam isnt the only qb with a bad line, but he is one of a few qbs that just stands there and consistantly takes the sack. Andrew Luck has a bad line but ive seen him in 3 games escape from pressure just by stuttle movement in the pocket.

Its like some of you think just becuase this is preasosn Sam is taking these hits and when the regular season rolls around he's magically gonna become some new guy thaat moves around when things breakdown and avoid pressure... It doesnt work that way. He is who he is.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If we don't get him some help fast, then Sam's light will be fading.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -08-27-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: David Carr Didn't rhyme with door (?).
    Let the hype begin.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I've watched the game three times, and I think people are overreacting. Bradford made several good throws, had several drops, had a few bad throws, and had a number of pressures where there was absolutely nowhere to roll, slide, or step up to. Let's remember, he didn't exactly have a running game that the defense was going to respect, and I think we would all agree his protection was spotty, and receivers inconsistent.

Give Bradford the benefit of Jackson in the backfield, a stable line, more consistent play from his receivers, and IMO, he'll be fine.
    Curly Horns likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I don't agree with most that the OP said but the comment about the deep pass is correct. Bradford has been horrible trying to connect on the deep route since he got to St. Louis.

Where were Givens and Quick this week with the starters?

When Sam was in the game this week he threw most of the time on 3rd and long. The team was rushing on 1st and 2nd round with Pead and then when they were 3rd and long, Sam struggled. Any QB is going to have horrible stats if you are just throwing on 3rd and long.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Rambos, no one is questioning his talent. He's got that. His intangables are being questioned. If last year was his rookie year no one would have faith in him, am I right? Good thing it wasnt. Sam isnt the only qb with a bad line, but he is one of a few qbs that just stands there and consistantly takes the sack. Andrew Luck has a bad line but ive seen him in 3 games escape from pressure just by stuttle movement in the pocket.

Its like some of you think just becuase this is preasosn Sam is taking these hits and when the regular season rolls around he's magically gonna become some new guy thaat moves around when things breakdown and avoid pressure... It doesnt work that way. He is who he is.
    I did not write that very well, If last year was his rookie year and his rookie year was his last year. My point, he would be trending up and most fans would be feeling pretty good about him. What matters is what he becomes not necessarily a snap shot of his last preseason game. He's going to have good games bad games, good years and bad year like all NFL QB's.

His interchangeable? I think some are questioning his ability to play QB in the NFL he will not have a clean pocket on every down. Not sure coming out of college if Bradford was known for his ability to make plays out of nothing. Romo has shown two things in his career. One he can create and extend plays at will. But he can also throw bad passes and lose games at will.

Bradford not sure if he will ever be like Romo in that regard, but I don't see Bradford throwing into coverage and having a ton of turnover either. Comparing him to Luck, I have yet to see Sam throw a pick six in preseason this year, or a pick period. Again fans will compare him to the hottest rookie QB like I said in my post... Both Luck and Bradford have time to develop into great QB's or not.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    rammiser likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You know why fans praise/criticize intangibles?

Because there is no accountability in arguing based on things that, by definition, cannot be measured.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the only stats that concern me right now:

Sam Bradford - 2012 Regular Season Stats

Attempts: 0
    Completions: 0
    Yards: 0
    Interceptions: 0
    Touchdowns: 0
    rammiser likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

My thoughts on Sam Bradford-deer_in_headlights1.gif

deer sammy
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Having just read the posts on this thread, I have to say the points raised are valid. One thing I did not see anyone point out was that this was the first game with Scott Wells at center. While that to me is great news, it also means that Sam had his first real game experience with Scott snapping him the ball and making the line calls for protection. I think we need a few more games to see if this partnership will be the answer. I just don't think Jeff Fisher would make a point of "protecting Sam" as among his top priorities when he first arrived and then fail to keep his word.

Essentially, I have faith in Sam and this coaching staff that they will get this worked out. Remember Fisher took this job largely because of Sam's upside growth potential. He's too savvy a coach to miss on that.

Go Rams!

rammiser is offline Registered User

For the love of all that is good can we please stop using Andrew Luck as an example for anything. The guy has not thrown 1 NFL pass that has mattered. He is seeing a lot of vanilla defense and his first td pass was thrown 2 feet in front of him and the rb went 60 yds for a score. Stop it already, the guy may be good but to use him when comparing things when all he has done is play pre-season football is laughable.
    Curly Horns likes this.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    For the love of all that is good can we please stop using Andrew Luck as an example for anything. The guy has not thrown 1 NFL pass that has mattered. He is seeing a lot of vanilla defense and his first td pass was thrown 2 feet in front of him and the rb went 60 yds for a score. Stop it already, the guy may be good but to use him when comparing things when all he has done is play pre-season football is laughable.
    I just used luck becuase he hasnt been in the league nothing but a few months and he moves in the pocket.... But ok forget Luck, you know as well as me most if not all qbs move in the pocket. Brady is the only guy off the top of my head that will just stand there and take shots (like Bradford), but he couldnt get out of his own way either, he isnt mobile. But Brady has a pretty good line tho. My point is just that if Sam had a line like Brady he would look like Brady. But since thats not reality and the line is not too good, he looks more like Bulger... Only when protection breaks down.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Is this what eveyone is saying he can't do? He can move in the pocket,he can throw under pressure, and he can throw the long ball relax people. People see what they want to see.

Sam Bradford - St Louis Rams - NFL Rookie of the Year - Highlight Video - YouTube

Maybe the video below shows intangibles. He really looks like a statue in this one.

Sam Bradford Sound FX - YouTube

Maybe we all just need to quit making assumptions that arent true. All the things people say he doesnt do he did in both these videos. He showed leadership,pocket presence and the deep ball. Can we for once go in to a season with some positivity for a change. People are already dumping on the guy and the season hasnt started yet.
    Curly Horns likes this.
    Just Fix It

Lol, i never said he NEVER shows pocket awareness, i never said he misses EVERY deep pass. But i did say i NEVER seen him talking to an offensive player on the sideline. Granted he probably does but I NEVER seen it. And im not saying he cant move in the pocket.... He just RARELY moves in the pocket If i had time to look at every rams low/highlight i bet my bottom dallor i can find 3 plays for everyone of yours to prove my point. The film doesnt lie. Its not just me or us fans that see this. Reports, comentators, insiders, etc are saying the samething. All you have to do is watch just about every play were the pass pro breaks down. Its no assumption, its a fact, sadly. Im no Sam basher, just being realistic.
    Last edited by Fastcat; -08-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Sam Bradford - 2012 Regular Season Stats

Attempts: 0
    Completions: 0
    Yards: 0
    Interceptions: 0
    Touchdowns: 0
    These are so, so numbers if you ask me. The Guy is a number one overall pick and these numbers are just not good enough. I'm happy with the INT's no so happy with his TD and Yards. He needs to do more, make everyone around him better including the cheerleaders, they need to be hotter.
    RealRam and AvengerRam like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Maybe we all just need to quit making assumptions that arent true. All the things people say he doesnt do he did in both these videos. He showed leadership,pocket presence and the deep ball. Can we for once go in to a season with some positivity for a change. People are already dumping on the guy and the season hasnt started yet.
    If you think reviewing someone's highlight real is indicative of their overall performance, you probably think Tony Banks should be in the Hall of Fame.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast