Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: My thoughts on Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    So when Bradford struggles it's because of the team, but when we went 7-9 after the 1-15 season, it's because Bradford singlehandedly brought us out of the craphole with his gleaming sword and shining armor?

Enough with the double standards.

I am a huge Bradford fan but I will admit that he is far from perfect. He has some very questionable moments.
    No double standard IMO he has already made players better... Amendola being one of them IMO.
    To say he has never made players better I don't agree. Not sure how Bradford being perfect has anything to do with him making players better.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    No double standard
    What? That was a double standard.

IMO he has already made players better... Amendola being one of them IMO.
    Could it be that the players just improved on their own account?

To say he has never made players better I don't agree. Not sure how Bradford being perfect has anything to do with him making players better.
    The only player I have ever seen him raise the elevation of play is Mark Clayton.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Lets be fair

Mark Clayton. Bradford gave him pro bowl numbers for a receiver his rookie season. This was the same Mark Clayton that was a 4th string receiver for Joe Flacco on the Ravens. Clayton gets hurt. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford really hasn't played the same without him.

Denario Alexander. Was suppose to be a big play receiver for Bradford. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford has had several big throws to him, now he's gone.

Donnie Avery. Was suppose to be a big play receiver for Bradford. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford never got the chance to throw to him in the regular season and they looked to have a connection in preseason.

Danny Almendola. Bradford has a great connection of him, but Almendola was injured for most of last season. Another blow to Bradford's confidence.

Brandon Lloyd. Came in (too) late in the season after Bradford was hurt. Bradford and him were starting to click but now he's gone to be Tom Brady's 3rd best weapon.

Not to mention 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 years including a lockout year? And people want him to elevate the play of others? How can he when they're always injured or getting released or traded away? Am I the only one who sees how chaotic the talent around Bradford has been? Does anyone not notice this I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; -08-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    live4ramin and rammiser like this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    Lets be fair

Mark Clayton. Bradford gave him pro bowl numbers for a receiver his rookie season. This was the same Mark Clayton that was a 4th string receiver for Joe Flacco on the Ravens. Clayton gets hurt. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford really hasn't played the same without him.

Denario Alexander. Was suppose to be a big play receiver for Bradford. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford has had several big throws to him, now he's gone.

Donnie Avery. Was suppose to be a big play receiver for Bradford. Career gone now due to injuries. Bradford never got the chance to throw to him in the regular season and they looked to have a connection in preseason.

Danny Almendola. Bradford has a great connection of him, but Almendola was injured for most of last season. Another blow to Bradford's confidence.

Brandon Lloyd. Came in (too) late in the season after Bradford was hurt. Bradford and him were starting to click but now he's gone to be Tom Brady's 3rd best weapon.

Not to mention 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 years including a lockout year? And people want him to elevate the play of others? How can he when they're always injured or getting released or traded away? Am I the only one who sees how chaotic the talent around Bradford has been? Does anyone not notice this I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
    Didnt Clayton only play like four games for the rams before he was hurt? And Clayton was actually a starter for the ravens... When they picked up Boldin that made him expendable. Ill give you the 3 different systems arguement but that has nothing to do with pocket awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Didnt Clayton only play like four games for the rams before he was hurt? And Clayton was actually a starter for the ravens... When they picked up Boldin that made him expendable. Ill give you the 3 different systems arguement but that has nothing to do with pocket awareness.
    I'll give you that, he does need to check down better. I've been watching the Dallas tape and noticed alot of drops and poor pass protection, but I also noticed a few plays where the blame falls on him. For example on one play Dallas overloaded on the right side and blitzed everyone from that corner. Bradford should have been ready for that and hit Steve Smith on a quick slant from the same side. It was open. But Bradford was staring deep downfield and got blind sided. No way he should have expected that much time with the defense Dallas was showing.

With the line being as bad as it is he needs to be ready to check down much more and alot faster.

He'll get better, he'll read watch the tape and do better. I'm quite sure most QBs have problems they need to work on, Bradford is no different.

If he doesnt get MUCH better he can still perform at a high level with weaknesses. Eli Manning has been a turnover machine for most of his career, yet he still has 2 super Bowl wins
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; -08-28-2012 at 10:38 PM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Not wasting my time to read this drivel, though I will say, it's his third fu...reaking year in the league. Aaron Rogers was still sucking on favre's teet in his third year- Learning the same damn offense each year.

I thought this forum was better than this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I'm just getting started as a Clanram member, so I wanted to reply to a post to see how it's done. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have some of the same concerns as you have, especially about some of the intangibles that Sam seems to struggle with including the leadership issue, which seems like the #1 trait that an elite QB needs to have. I guess we'll see how, and if, he's matured as a leader as the Rams start the season with some tough games (e.g. Megatron, Stafford, and the Lions D week one). Looking forward to some interesting and lively chats this season.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

You guys want to know what I think of Samuel Bradford?

30/51, 59 completion %, 398 yards, 5 TD's, 0 INT's, and 116.3 QB rating.

That is what I think of him (His stats from the pre-season games).

THE DREAM TEAM

Some Sam Bradford Preseason Stats

• 3rd Highest QB rating of projected Week 1 starters (Less then a point behind Tony Romo, Mathew Stafford)
    • Only quarterback to throw 5 or more TD passes and no interceptions
    • 2nd Highest rated QB with over 10 pass attempts a game (Tony Romo)
    • 3rd Highest rated QB with 30 or more pass attempts (behind Romo and Stafford)
    • Highest rated QB with 40 or more pass attempts
    • Highest rated QB with 50 or more pass attempts
    • Highest TD to pass attempt ratio (1 TD pass every 10.1 attempts) (min 25 pass atempts)
    • Sacked twice in 51 drop backs (For pocket awareness sake, Bradford was sacked every every 25.5 dropbacks, Andrew Luck was sacked every 22 dropbacks)
    • One of 4 QBs to throw 5 or more TD passes
    • 3rd most 20+ yard passes among projected Week 1 starters (Bradford 51 total pass attempts, Matt Ryan 60 total pass attempts, Russell Wilson 63 total pass attempts)

I'm sure his 144.5 QB rating for Batlimore must be a top 5 performance (min 10 pass attempts) I know Romo had a better game and Kirk Cousins, but NFL.com does not keep easy access stats for comparing individual game performances.
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; -09-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Here are my thoughts on Sam Bradford. Not sure if this has been shared by another poster.

I am one of the poster that at times has been tough on Bradford. However, after thursday preseason game my outlook has changed. Here are my thoughts

* Bradford has shown growth in the pocket. He at times has manipulated the pocket to buy more time.
    * Bradford has shown when given time he can make all the throws to move the chains.
    * When his wideouts get open Bradford has been accurate.
    * Bradford arm strength seems to be better than in past season. He has been winging the ball in tight spots in the redzone.
    * Bradford seems much more comfortable in Fishers offense.

In sum, if the Rams can establish a running game and generate some time for Bradford he can move the chains.

The only concern I have is that Sam seems to lock into his reciever. Would like to see him go through his progression more and come back to the primary target.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You guys want to know what I think of Samuel Bradford?

30/51, 59 completion %, 398 yards, 5 TD's, 0 INT's, and 116.3 QB rating.

That is what I think of him (His stats from the pre-season games).
    So you don't think this any more?

I just dont get his inability to play the QB position. I really hate to say that. I mean, Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler, and Big Ben have terrible offensive lines, and yet they still move around the pocket and make big plays. I mean, look at Andrew Luck. He was put into a terrible position, terrible. The worst offensive offensive line in the NFL by far, and barely any weapons, and yet he continues to have the best pocket presence I've ever seen for a rookie, climbs the pocket, and makes deadly accurate throws where only his guy can get it, and they do.

I really hope things can change this year.
    One day he sucks the next his number look pretty good?
    HUbison and Nick like this.

Gomotron is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    One day he sucks the next his number look pretty good?
    That's my #1 beef with Sam, his consistency (or lack thereof).

I'll say, though, that he looks far more comfortable this year (so far) than he looked in the preseason the last few years. I think that he will blossom in the new system. I'm not sure that he is one of the rare QB's that can win despite lack of a talented supporting cast, but I think with a few weapons and a system in which he is comfortable operating, he can be a darned fine QB.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Since the season is over i want to re evaluate Sam on his areas of weakness i pointed out before the season.

Pocket Awareness
    He has imprroved this and it really showed late in the season. Our line was at its peak too at the last few games of the season so im eager to see what Sam and the line will do next season!!
    But sometimes Sam still has his "statue" moments but i can live with his much needed improvement.

Make a play
    Its about time the light clicked in his head and he improvised on the fly!! I guess he wasnt comffortable enough to do this last season but i like what I have seen. And i see its hard to make a play when your recievers dont get open.

Deep ball
    Thank god for Chris Givens!! Hopefully Titus Young works out and we have 2 deep threats on the field at once! Sam has erased all concerns here.

Leadership?
    Cant really call this one but he has his moments i guess, im still not totally sold on his leadership ability but as long as he keeps getting better and we are winning i could care less.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think Nick stated the case very clearly on all fronts. Sam Bradford has certainly had his share of difficulty not of his own making- poor o-line, lack of big time receivers, 3 systems in 3 years and an ankle injury. But Sam has got to play better- period. He needs to find a way to perform at the level many thought he was capable of performing at when he was taken with the first pick in the draft. He was given a hefty contract and expected to become the face of this franchise. He was entrusted with the tall task of returning the Rams to respectability. So far, the results have been a decidedly mixed bag. At times, he's shown the capability of being a top QB; at other times, he looks lost and out of sync. Consistency is an issue.

Sam needs to rise above adversity- Many other QB's some good, some not-so-good effectively deal with less than stellar surroundings. Ben Roethlisberger takes a tremendous pounding and finds a way to complete passes and do his part in winning games. For years, Dan Marino put up huge numbers with no running game at all. Cam Newton certainly had a good year last year and no one is confusing the Carolina Panthers with the Steelers glory teams of the 70's. We could go on and on.

No one questions his effort. No one questions his desire to be successful. But his ability to elevate his game is very much in question. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE year for him and will go a long way in determining whether he's the guy we all thought he was and hope he is.

This is the minimum of what I want to see from a healthy Sam Bradford this year:

20-22 TD's
    Maximum of 10 picks
    Between 3200-3700 yards
    improved pocket presence
    an ability to take over a game from time to time

Obviously he can't do it alone. But with so many other areas in question, we cannot afford to have these same questions with the QB position for much longer.

I think I was pretty reasonable with my expectations of Bradford. He was right in the statistical range I projected (2 more picks than hoped) and he did indeed improve both his pocket presence and led us on a couple of game winning drives. Each passing year becomes more improtant for Bradford, but I have no reason to think he won't continue to progress as the team gets better.

Look at what happened with Joe Flacco over the past couple of seasons. He went from being a decent, though inconsistent player who was maligned by more than a few people to a guy woh won a Super Bowl and looked great in successive playoff seasons. Same with Eli Manning. Matt Ryan has taken that next step. It's Sam's turn in 2013.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345