Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beta Ram is offline Registered User

My Thoughts on Spagnuolo

Hey, guys! Sorry for the looooooooooooooooooong absence; been busy with college and other family matters (plus I was disgusted with this team this season).

Anyway, while the Spagnuolo hiring is attractive, I am skeptical. I live in NJ with Eagles fans (for example, my stepdad). Spags has a "temper" on him, and tends to get mouthy to players. Sure, he has intensity. But, I feel that the Rams should have gone with a more offensive-minded coach. Spags's defenses are, while great, also prone to the "big play" (see many Eagles games). The guy has heart, no doubt; he has intensity. I am skeptical. I want to see what kind of team he puts together, and what FA he brings in.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Re: My Thoughts on Spagnuolo

What? All reports say the exact opposite when it comes to having a temper.

Oh, and Spags wasn't the D-Coordinator in Philly. So...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Dude, no offense man, but I love the fact that you bash the new coach, yet you clearly don't know anything about him. He was the defensive coordinator for the NY Giants, not the Eagles...and yes, he's the same defensive coordinator who led the Giants' D to a superbowl victory against the supposedly unbeatable team.

Do some more research next time, man, because you come off looking incredibly ignorant and considering that everyone is quite happy with the hiring...except for you, of course (how ironic), this wasn't the smartest post to start off with, and thus, you'll get a lot of crap for it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Beta Ram View Post
    Hey, guys! Sorry for the looooooooooooooooooong absence; been busy with college and other family matters (plus I was disgusted with this team this season).

Anyway, while the Spagnuolo hiring is attractive, I am skeptical. I live in NJ with Eagles fans (for example, my stepdad). Spags has a "temper" on him, and tends to get mouthy to players. Sure, he has intensity. But, I feel that the Rams should have gone with a more offensive-minded coach. Spags's defenses are, while great, also prone to the "big play" (see many Eagles games). The guy has heart, no doubt; he has intensity. I am skeptical. I want to see what kind of team he puts together, and what FA he brings in.
    Umm...Spags was only the Eagle's secondary and linebackers coach from 2001 to 2006 (pretty sure about this). He was never defensive coordinator for the Eagle's so I'm not sure how this makes any sense.

So you believe Jason Garrett, Scott Linehan, Mike Martz, Josh McDaniels, any of these guys, would be a better fit for the Rams. Garrett and McDaniels might have been, but I doubt it.

Spags brings ferociousness and top defensive coaching with him. I don't know why you would be skeptical of that. Unless you want a quiet, timid, shy coach.

What is wrong with being mouthy to players? In my opinion, the players on this team deserve to get mouthed. Look at our record for the past two years.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Well, I disagree with the original post. I am extremely happy with the hire, and I think it's about time we started thinking defensively, as that is what wins championships. He will mold this team the way he sees fit with the guidance of Billy DeVaney.

And as far as him "having a temper", the Rams need a fire lit underneath their collective behinds. If that's what it takes, so be it. And not for nothing, the Giants' players were unanimous in thier praise for Spagnuolo, so I don't have any concerns at all about him not getting along with certain guys.

Just win, baby.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Beta Ram View Post
    Hey, guys! Sorry for the looooooooooooooooooong absence; been busy with college and other family matters (plus I was disgusted with this team this season)
    So now the season is over and you decide to participate?

We need a Headcoach that is going to be a strong leader. If that means SPAGS has to step on toes or hurt someones feelings so be it. It's inevitable that our franchise is in for a rude awakening. The party is over. Training camp will be training camp. Players and coaches will be held accountable. No more of this cry baby stuff. We needed to be toughened up and well conditioned. SPAGS is going to bring it!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I wonder if the Rams will become a domiate defesive team now that they have a defensive mind leadig the team?????

I ask this question due to a trend I've noticed over the past decade. For example,

Ravens hire Billick they win championship with DEFENSE
    Tampa hire Gruden they win championship with DEFENSE
    Colts hire Dungy and win championship with OFFENSE

Lets hope the GSOT comes back while Spags is the HC.

GO RAMS

dewalt_ram is offline Registered User

It would be nice if he brought in a proven D cordinator and they colloraborated a new d system together, i JUST HOPE TO HE** THE RAMS DONT TURN INTO THE GIANTS A TEAM WITH A GOOD D BUT CAN ONLY PUT 17 PTS ON THE BOARD A GAME--- BORING & LAME--- Ya you can get lucky and win a title witn a Great D but look at the ones who did it in the past and have done it since = 0. You need a stiff D and a O that can put 30+ on the board when need be.

I will reserve judgement on him as a coach and leader & decision maker until after the championship games next year to see how the rams stack up against the rest of the nfl-- For now i am satisfied it looks good on paper.

Some people are meant to be a GREAT OC
    Some people are meant to be a GREAT DC
    Some people are meant to be a GREAT HC

Very few of the GREAT DC and OC make good HC

Few Examples Of Great Cordinators that couldnt/ can't coach a lick, Buddy Ryan, Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis, Greg Williams, Dick Leabau, Scott Linehan, Marty Mornhinweg, Mike Martz, Al Saunders, Romeo Crennel, Wade Phillips, Jim Mora JR, June Jones, Jerry Glanville, Cam Cameron, i could go on and ON lets hope we can leave our new HC name out of this list.
    Last edited by dewalt_ram; -01-19-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    We need a Headcoach that is going to be a strong leader. If that means SPAGS has to step on toes or hurt someones feelings so be it. It's inevitable that our franchise is in for a rude awakening. The party is over. Training camp will be training camp. Players and coaches will be held accountable. No more of this cry baby stuff. We needed to be toughened up and well conditioned. SPAGS is going to bring it!
    I love it! Put me in coach!
    :1:

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

You have been disgusted with the Rams, and are busy with school.

Do your home work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Too bad he doesnt coach the Eagles...

Just lack of intelligence, by clearly not a huge rams fan...

I believe he was refering to spags D is pretty much of a CLONE to the eagles D and he is a JJ disciple.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Ease on up, folks. The man is entitled to his opinion. Personally, I don't think it would have been a great idea to go with an offensive mind for head coach. For one thing, I don't think getting the offense back on track will be as big a task as bringing the defense together. On offense, we've got a top tier runningback. We have promising young talent at receiver and a quarterback who has demonstrated the ability to be effective when given time. By comparison, we've had one of the league's worst defenses for years.

The other thing here is what offensive guy were we going to hire? Garrett? McDaniel? I'll pass. Shanahan who makes more retired than any coach working? Billick? Fassel?

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt_ram View Post
    It would be nice if he brought in a proven D cordinator and they colloraborated a new d system together, i JUST HOPE TO HE** THE RAMS DONT TURN INTO THE GIANTS A TEAM WITH A GOOD D BUT CAN ONLY PUT 17 PTS ON THE BOARD A GAME--- BORING & LAME--- Ya you can get lucky and win a title witn a Great D but look at the ones who did it in the past and have done it since = 0. You need a stiff D and a O that can put 30+ on the board when need be.

I will reserve judgement on him as a coach and leader & decision maker until after the championship games next year to see how the rams stack up against the rest of the nfl-- For now i am satisfied it looks good on paper.

Some people are meant to be a GREAT OC
    Some people are meant to be a GREAT DC
    Some people are meant to be a GREAT HC

Very few of the GREAT DC and OC make good HC

Few Examples Of Great Cordinators that couldnt/ can't coach a lick, Buddy Ryan, Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis, Greg Williams, Dick Leabau, Scott Linehan, Marty Mornhinweg, Mike Martz, Al Saunders, Romeo Crennel, Wade Phillips, Jim Mora JR, June Jones, Jerry Glanville, Cam Cameron, i could go on and ON lets hope we can leave our new HC name out of this list.
    The Giants offense was anything but boring. They had by far the best rush attack in the league and were the most productive offense in the league before Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg.

It's pretty obvious the thread starter knows nothing about Spags.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    The Giants offense was anything but boring. They had by far the best rush attack in the league and were the most productive offense in the league before Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg.

It's pretty obvious the thread starter knows nothing about Spags.
    LOL sure it was 3 headed rushing monster so exciting and 1 wr worth throwing to, then you take that 1 reciever out and what happend to them in the playoffs???? they got it handed to them by a old and aging team. My point is we need to rejuvinate that 30pt O and add a D that only alows 15-20pts at most a week. Spending all ur $$ on D will only hogtie the offense, look at the ravens, bears, titans, etc and how many titles they won in the past 7 years with those stout D's and stagnant offenses with a running game only? Its harder to shut down a QB, RB and 5 WR than it is a 1-2 back run orientated offense. If you have to have a explosive O its highly advantageous as there are only so many great D's out there (and they can be exploited) and alot of mediocore ones that a explosive O can out score on a weekly basis, like these teams when they were contending & winning titles with a GREAT O and good D, Rams, skins, whiners, broncos, packers, cowgirls, pats, colts now the cardinals. Winning a title with a #1 d is a ENOMOLY and winning a title with a Great O is the Normal.
    Last edited by dewalt_ram; -01-20-2009 at 01:49 AM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt_ram View Post
    LOL sure it was 3 headed rushing monster so exciting and 1 wr worth throwing to, then you take that 1 reciever out and what happend to them in the playoffs???? they got it handed to them by a old and aging team. My point is we need to rejuvinate that 30pt O and add a D that only alows 15-20pts at most a week. Spending all ur $$ on D will only hogtie the offense, look at the ravens, bears, titans, etc and how many titles they won in the past 7 years? If you have to have a explosive O its highly advantageous as there are only so many great D's out there and alot of mediocore ones that a explosive O can out score on a weekly basis.
    You can't solely judge a team's success by whether or not they win a superbowl. The Ravens and Titans and Bears might have not won the superbowl that many times this decade but most of the teams that have won have all had strong defenses. Ravens, Bucs, Patriots, Steelers and The Giants all won because of their great defense while their offense wasn't spectacular.

It is more fun to see a team rack up the points every week but it's pretty obvious what direction the Rams are taking and that is going for a defensive oriented team. They tried offense first for the last 5 seasons and that has only lead to disappointment. The strong defense and run offense is what Spags is looking to do and it looks like that it's the right way to go considering the personnel they have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast