throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

My view after watching the game

The Good:

-Carriker looks like the real deal. He was nothing but positive. Held the point of attack and had several nice plays, including from the backside.

- Leonard look good especially against the second string. Less impressive during first string D. It will take some time.

-Our center of the o-line is IMPRESSIVE. They blew everything up. Vikings were sending the house up the middle all night, and they all were stout. I think we have 3 or 4 of the best guards we have had in a long time.

-Defense as a whole was o.k. I thought we played both sides of the ball very vanilla, no tipping of the hat on schemes, just mono -e- mono. While the Vikes were playing the Super Bowl. Very evident after re-watching the game.

-Hedgecock looked good last night, even had a nice catch.

-Hagens was solid and looked smooth on kicks and catching the ball.

-I like this Stanley kid. Keep an eye on him

-Wade is going to be someone to watch. He hits!! I like it!!

-Alston helped his cause last night. He was all around the ball

-The D line was getting after it. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

-We might have found Little's back-up. This Trevor Johnson was pretty good. Although he played against the 2's and 3's I thought he was solid.

-Donnie Jones had a nice game, good distance.

-Wroten looked good playing for Glover. He got some great penetration.

The Bad:

-Pace was asleep at the wheel.

-Strojney was awful, this better be the last game or someone is going to get hurt. I don't think he covered the left side once by himself.

-Bartell had too soft of coverage a couple of times.

-Fitz was unimpressive. For a guy playing his third year with a few starts under his belt, he looked lost at times. I think Berlin will be starting over him next week at the third spot. He better start playing as if life depends on it, because I don't think he is a lock on the roster.

-Glover getting hurt prior to the game.

-Washington days are numbered on this team. Even his daddy can't stop this

- Looker I thought should have stepped up to the plate more. He has something to prove and I think he should have been the go to guy during 2 and 3's

Thoughts??

Walrus is offline Registered User

Re: My view after watching the game

I live in Viking country so I was able to watch most of the game last night. I didn't watch it as a fan so I'll give you a couple specifics and a couple generalities.

- I agree about Carriker. He was the only player I specifically watched and I thought he really played solid for his first pro game experience.

- I agree about the interior line. Very, very good showing last night.

- This is neither here nor there as it has been evident for years, but I cannot remember any quarterback who looks as comfortable in the pocket as Bulger. He always looks like he's content to wait for something to open up and not get rattled.

- Your CB's missed a couple easy tackles because they didn't break down, square up and wrap the receiver. Rather they came in late and hard and waved on the first move.

- Just preseason and who knows what level of preparation each team put into it, but Jackson looked the best he's ever looked last night. My Vikings fan friends were shocked.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I didn't see the game, but i'm glad the good list is longer than the bad. I think Pace was just showing a little rust, its probably the longest time he's gone on without playing a game, so that doesn't concern me. My biggest concern is Bartell i really hope he shows some improvements before the opening day. Did anyone see how Clifton Ryan or Culberson played??

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I didn't see the game, but read the recap and there's a real good quote in there by Matt Birk: Minnesota's Matt Birk, who lined up across from him, told Rams coach Scott Linehan he was impressed."Matt said, 'He's a load. He's a handful. He's a heck of a player,"' Linehan said. "That coming from a Pro Bowl center says a lot."

That was by far the most important thing for this game I think, Carriker proving he was a first rounder. The recap also mentions specifically how we were hard to run on, which is great, though it'll expose weaknesses against the pass more. Speaking of the pass game, that's great to hear that Wade is a hitter.

I love Alston so it was great to see he was around the ball all the time, though that stats say he only got 3 tackles, which was still pretty high for the team. I'm guessing he was just right there but not credited/in the tackle? Maybe he's a good backup MLB?

As for some of the problems, Pace being asleep isn't necessarily a bad thing, as he's coming back from being hurt, so as long as he steps up. Never the less, I think we'll need a 2nd or third round Tackle next year, if only to replace Stussie as the backup and put pressure on the starters.

As for Washington, Fitz and Looker, they all better look better or they can easily be replaced by some of the talent we picked up this year. The only reason I've liked Looker has been that he's good for a spot catch on third down and he's Wilkins' holder. If Wilkins can find another holder he likes(Romo maybe?) then I say we keep Hagans and Stanley. If Fitz isn't the guy then let someone else have experience as the 3rd guy. Washington was always more novelty than substance in my mind.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Leonard is a fun player to watch...but he needs to learn that this isnt COLLEGE and his KAMIKAZE style of throwing his body around and seemingly LOOKING for contact will spell a short career for him as a RB in the NFL. He looked pretty banged up after a couple of plays last night. Someone please show him some Marshall Faulk game film. Nobody avoided taking the big blow better than #28.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

general counsel is offline Registered User

what happened to glover jason?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Hip flexor during warm-ups

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    what happened to glover jason?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamOfDenmark Guest

I thought Brian Leonard's style reminded me a little of Steven Jackson actually. He's versatile, caught the ball well, good mix of power and speed, he also got the tough 2-3 yards a couple of times when he was hit early. Among the other RB's I noticed Madison Hedgecock's nice catch, not often he gets the ball in his hands, but we need his lead-blocking skills.

Bartell's missed plays stuck out, I expected him to be sharper but it looks like either his head wasn't entirely in the game or his cover skills are not as good as hoped yet. On the other hand Tye Hill looked sharp in coverage I think.

A nice game with no disastrous injuries, good start.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think Pace is one of those guys that we want to see never retire. I think he is JUST a little rusty from not playing for quite some time, however the combination of that and his age doesn't help at all. I really don't think we should expect him to play as well as he did a few years ago. I think if he does play well, obviously that is great, but if he doesn't I think we should really cut him some slack.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mpire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    - Leonard look good especially against the second string. Less impressive during first string D. It will take some time.
    Did I hear right, the announcers said the first team D came back out when the Rams were down to the goalline for Leonard's TD?

blood85 Guest

Rams Defense looked decent for the amount of time played.

RamsNation Guest

Good.

I was impressed with Carriker.He held his ground well, used his hands well from what I could see, and had one RB for supper.

Leonard I thought looked a little nervous a couple of times,putting his head down and just going instead keeping his head up and looking where he was going. But he did what I hoped for in what was his 1st preseason game.

Wade showed up a couple of times and looked pretty physical to me.

Alston was all over the place at times and is a fast paced player.

I thought Culberson looked like he has all the physical tools and may be able to contribute down the road.

As Wraith pointed out, Johnson showed promise and looked better than i anticipated.

I wish we could find a place for Derek Stanley on the roster. He could be a weapon in the open field, showed soft hands, some ability to get open, and is the next best option to D. Hall in the return game we have.

Bad.

I didnt see anything but regression from Fitzpatrick. I wanted to see him blow B. Berlin off the roster and battle Gus for 2nd string. All he did in my opinion was lock up a need for Frerotte and put his Harvard butt in jeopardy of losing his spot on the team to a player who to me was an unimpressive collegiate QB with all kinds of talent around him. I have liked Fitz from the start and was supremely dissappointed.

Bartell as some of you mentioned struggled, and should do better.

I hope nothing happens to Pace or Barron. I'll leave it at that.

There is other bad stuff I could say, but it is to early and I will wait before pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by RamsNation; -08-11-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I cant spell and only have marginal typing skills.

They sent a couple of the 1st stringers in to help the cause. I think they hoped to prevent 7. Not everyone came in. I know K. Williams did and Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Did I hear right, the announcers said the first team D came back out when the Rams were down to the goalline for Leonard's TD?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let me add these observations:

1. Carriker did take a short break last night, and the entire D didn't fall apart in his abscence. This means that we have some depth that can be counted on when we need them.

2. Someone kidnapped Alex Barron and replaced him with someone who waits for the snap before moving. Whoever was wearing Barron's uniform also looked like a brick wall.

3. Yes, Bartell looked sloppy at times. OTOH, Bartell looked sharp at times. Now, Bartell has to get the 'sharp' on the field all the time.

4. The Special Teams unit looked better than I expected. There were mistakes, but the blocking looked improved from last season, and someone taught these guys that tackles were necessary.

5. Our new punter looks like he's a good replacement for Turk if he keeps up like last night. A 50.5 yard average. If we do get stopped on a drive, at least we can make the opposition work hard to get back down the field.

6. Our secondary forgot how to cover well. Our run defense looks shored up, but the pass D needs to step it up.

7. Jerome Carter is maturing a little bit more as a player.

On a side note: I was watching the NFL network's broadcast of the game this morning, and early in the broadcast, they showed a shot of a Vikes cheerleader. Maybe it was her hair, maybe my viewing angle was wrong, maybe it was because I was working in the 100+ degree heat too long yesterday, but this woman looked scary...I'm glad she wasn't playing last night.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What happened with V. Adeyanju? Did he even play?