• 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By Trammer035
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: My World: Five Stages of Rams' Fans' Grief

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

My World: Five Stages of Rams' Fans' Grief

by Patty Hsieh

Yes, it's another week without a win.

Yes, the Washington Redskins delivered the Rams yet another painful loss on Sunday.

And yes, that keeps the Rams winless. We can all wishfully think the numbers were somehow reversed, but the fact of the matter is the Rams are 0-4.

We have to come to grips with that reality, do we not?

If I were a therapist or psychiatrist I'd ask, "But how does that make you feel?"

Well, let's go through the progression of emotions Rams fans are experiencing, shall we?

Stage One: Denial
    Dictionary.com's definition of denial: "An assertion that something said, believed, alleged, etc., is false."

"I can't believe the Rams are 0-4!"

Some fans are in a state of shock and not understanding what happened. Things just don't make any sense.

Didn't the Rams go undefeated in the preseason? The pundits say the preseason doesn't mean anything and the record should be ignored. I agreed with them but many went ahead and drank the Kool-Aid anyway.

It wasn't pretty at times, but they at least moved the ball down the field and put up 10 total touchdowns and six field goals. Those four wins did happen, right? Or was all that just an aberration?

Fans aren't the only ones in denial though. When asked if he's noticed any bad body language from quarterback Sam Bradford, head coach Steve Spagnuolo replied, "Did I see any? I have not."

Just go back to Sunday's game. It's written all over Bradford's face and the way he's gimping to the sideline. He's had more than just the proverbial wind knocked out of him. Even after the game Bradford admits the losses are getting to him: "A little bit. Yeah, I'm not going to lie. It is getting frustrating."

Spags might not be able or want to see it, but the fans do. We see it.
    Stage Two: Anger

"A strong feeling of displeasure and belligerence aroused by a wrong; wrath; ire."
    You would not believe some of the hate tweets Rams players received after the game on Sunday. Fans have the right to express their feelings. I'm not denying that, but you can't cross the line between the player and the plays they make (or not make in these cases).

I can't share the worst of them here, but I was in shock at how low supposed fans went to vent their anger. Too bad some of them don't use proper grammar or spelling (we cleaned it up here so as not to embarrass anyone). That would make their point come across more civilized, right?

For example,

"NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!"

"That's great you can be so happy after a shameful display on Sunday. You're a good example of why we lose. #ramswhodontcare"

"Hey @Austin_Pettis are you too retarded too call Fair Catch? RT?"

"You can leave the team now. No one cares about personal performance."

Oh and my personal favorite,

"I wanted to kick you in throat today. You didn't contribute to my fantasy team at all."

I play fantasy football too, but I would never have even thought of physically assaulting a football player let alone tweet them that because he didn't produce on the field. Yeah, you get frustrated but c'mon man, really?

I've read that anger is an indication of the intensity of your love. These tweets are not signs of love for your team, fellas. It's nothing but pure immaturity.
    Stay classy Rams fans.

Stage Three: Bargaining and Regret

Bargaining, "To discuss the terms of a bargain; haggle; negotiate."

Regret, "A sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction, etc."

Rams fans start thinking about what they would do to make things right. Whatever it took to get this team in the right, correct, and winning direction.

I've read a lot of "What if ... " and "If only ... " since the start of the season.

What if the Rams had gone out and gotten a true No. 1 wide receiver for Sam Bradford?

Specifically, what if Spagnuolo and Rams general manager Billy Devaney had made the jump to get Julio Jones?

If only we had started the season with more than four cornerbacks.

If only we hadn't taken Lance Kendricks.

What if we actually had gotten the production proportional to the amount of money we spent on the offensive line? And the list goes on.

We can't live in the past or get caught up in the shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Stage Four: Depression

"Psychiatry. A condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason."

Rams fans start to feel as if this losing streak will last forever, or in this case the entire 16-game season.

"Going to game vs. Cardinals in Az...Looks like we'll be 0-7 going in. Why did I waste my money ... "

"Dropped passes, penalties, what the hell are you y'all doing??? 0-16"

"Couldn't play any worse. You guys make it hard to even watch you at all."

Some were even speaking of putting the Rams in the "Suck for (Andrew) Luck" sweepstakes yesterday. People really need to calm down.

Stage Five: Acceptance

"The act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory."

I'm glad to say that for every tasteless and offensive tweet I read there were 10 or more positive and encouraging words for the Rams.

"U will always have ‘true' fans cheering for u week in week out! But u have to understand the frustration of the fans."

"Keep ya head up big dawg, #Still12GamesLeft"

"Keep on fighting dude. This Rams fan got your back."

"Don't worry about them. True fans stick behind their players win or lose. I'll be watching when you show everyone."

The Rams Bye Week

Fans need to accept the fact that the Rams are winless in four weeks. It is imperative the team learns from their mistakes, corrects them, and moves forward. Now that we've gone through the five stages of Rams' fans' grief, it's equally as important for us to move on as well.

There are 12 more games to play and six of them are against divisional opponents. The Rams still have time to work things out and this bye week couldn't have come at a better time.

The players will practice Wednesday and then have Thursday through Sunday off. Coaches will be watching lots of game tape and self-scouting the team to see where they can improve.

"Getting back to fundamentals," as Spagnuolo said.

My Bye Week

Sunday, while the Rams have the week off, I'll be in Chicago attempting my very first full marathon. So, 26.2 miles of pavement lie between the finish line and me.

I'm nervous beyond imagination and hopeful that I'll at least finish the race. My knees haven't been cooperating with me the past month so we'll see how it goes.

During each mile I'll be thinking about 26 people who have brought me through the past few years and those who have inspired me to take on this race. When I finish, I'll thank each and every one of them.

Please wish me luck and say a prayer for me if you remember on Sunday.

Re: My World: Five Stages of Rams' Fans' Grief

Wow! Either she's been visitng ClanRam or it's a coiencidence she says all the same stuff! lol What stage are you in? decide with this 5 stage process....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We might need to bring Ms. Hsieh on full-time staff around here. Nick and I currently share an office, but we can probably squeeze her a desk in if Nick is willing to move his life-size Mountaineer mascot suit out.
    laram0 and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Its early Zia, Ive broke through the denial part, the Skins put that one to bed soundly.! Depression, Depression, depression. This regression throughout the team has really shocked me, but now comes the acceptance for this team, Ive been here before many, many times so I live in hope again. Its sad, it really is. Never fails with the Rams.? Depression stands out to me bordering on acceptance.?

Im glad I read this article, makes a lot of sense, and Ill keep it in mind for the future.?
    ZiaRam likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think most of go through all the stages in the same order described. True fans end up at number 5, acceptance...it is what it is!

Better days are coming!
    ZiaRam likes this.

Trammer035 is offline Registered User

Ha! Thanks for posting... I have literally been through all those stages over the last four weeks. How about adding Stage 6: Fantasy? I currently find solace in the fact that the Rams are 7-2 in my Madden season right now!!
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    We might need to bring Ms. Hsieh on full-time staff around here. Nick and I currently share an office, but we can probably squeeze her a desk in if Nick is willing to move his life-size Mountaineer mascot suit out.
    We could use a woman's touch around here! Especially a sensible one!
    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Its early Zia, Ive broke through the denial part, the Skins put that one to bed soundly.! Depression, Depression, depression. This regression throughout the team has really shocked me, but now comes the acceptance for this team, Ive been here before many, many times so I live in hope again. Its sad, it really is. Never fails with the Rams.? Depression stands out to me bordering on acceptance.?

Im glad I read this article, makes a lot of sense, and Ill keep it in mind for the future.?
    Honestly Ground Dog I've been fortunate because I think I went through all these stages within the first two weeks. Ya think you are crossing over into acceptence since it sounds like your accepting everything now out of the depressions stage. lol sorry but a bit funny remembering me going through these stages as well..

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think most of go through all the stages in the same order described. True fans end up at number 5, acceptance...it is what it is!

Better days are coming!
    Great point laram0, true fans do end up at stage 5 and grow up and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Trammer035 View Post
    Ha! Thanks for posting... I have literally been through all those stages over the last four weeks. How about adding Stage 6: Fantasy? I currently find solace in the fact that the Rams are 7-2 in my Madden season right now!!
    LOL that's so funny Trammer because I've taken solace in week ten on Madden where we are 8-1 and SJ is the leagues leading rusher! Sam is 4th in passing...
    Trammer035 likes this.