AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Myths and Realities of the 2007 Rams

Having just spent a week off from even thinking about the Rams, I come back with a clear mind and “fresh legs” for the start of a new season. As a jumping off point, I feel the need to address several “myths” about the Rams in 2007 that can easily be refuted. Make no mistake, my optimism is in full swing.

Myth #1: The Rams won’t pay for players.
    Reality: I think we can all put this one to rest with Marc Bulger’s signing. He is now (as he should be) one of the highest paid QBs and, in fact, one of the highest paid players in the league. The organization is demonstrating that it is willing to invest heavily in a player around whom the franchise can be built. Expect this to happen again next year when Steven Jackson comes up for a contract renewal.

Myth #2: The Rams don’t show urgency in signing players.
    Reality: I’m not sure where this notion began (perhaps with Orlando Pace, though that is unfair given that the Postons were to blame), but again, recent history shows that he Rams are, in fact, very efficient when it comes to getting contracts done. After locking up two players who would have been big FA targets (L.Little, P.Tinoisamoa), the Rams were able to snatch Randy McMichael within days of his release, locked up all their draft choices in time for camp, and extended Bulger a year before his contract expired.

Myth #3: Adam Carriker isn’t built like a DT.
    Reality: While Carriker (6’6, 315) does not have the classic build of a NT, there are many players with similar builds who have excelled as interior DL. Among them are Richard Seymour (6’6, 310), Marcus Stroud (6’6, 310) and Kevin Williams (6’5, 311). I also like the idea of having a 6’6 DT making it difficult for opposing QBs to find passing lanes.

Myth #4: The Rams aren’t Super Bowl contenders.
    Reality: This myth comes more from the national media and fans of other teams. My response is: why not? What NFC team is clearly superior to the Rams? Chicago? Not with Rex Grossman at QB. New Orleans? Not convinced. Philadelphia? They’ll be tough, but I’m not sold. Seattle? Please. Remember this; in the last seven years there have been seven different NFC Champions. The Rams have the talent to be in the mix this year.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Re: Myths and Realities of the 2007 Rams

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Having just spent a week off from even thinking about the Rams, I come back with a clear mind and “fresh legs” for the start of a new season. As a jumping off point, I feel the need to address several “myths” about the Rams in 2007 that can easily be refuted. Make no mistake, my optimism is in full swing.

Myth #1: The Rams won’t pay for players.
    Reality: I think we can all put this one to rest with Marc Bulger’s signing. He is now (as he should be) one of the highest paid QBs and, in fact, one of the highest paid players in the league. The organization is demonstrating that it is willing to invest heavily in a player around whom the franchise can be built. Expect this to happen again next year when Steven Jackson comes up for a contract renewal.

Myth #2: The Rams don’t show urgency in signing players.
    Reality: I’m not sure where this notion began (perhaps with Orlando Pace, though that is unfair given that the Postons were to blame), but again, recent history shows that he Rams are, in fact, very efficient when it comes to getting contracts done. After locking up two players who would have been big FA targets (L.Little, P.Tinoisamoa), the Rams were able to snatch Randy McMichael within days of his release, locked up all their draft choices in time for camp, and extended Bulger a year before his contract expired.

Myth #3: Adam Carriker isn’t built like a DT.
    Reality: While Carriker (6’6, 315) does not have the classic build of a NT, there are many players with similar builds who have excelled as interior DL. Among them are Richard Seymour (6’6, 310), Marcus Stroud (6’6, 310) and Kevin Williams (6’5, 311). I also like the idea of having a 6’6 DT making it difficult for opposing QBs to find passing lanes.

Myth #4: The Rams aren’t Super Bowl contenders.
    Reality: This myth comes more from the national media and fans of other teams. My response is: why not? What NFC team is clearly superior to the Rams? Chicago? Not with Rex Grossman at QB. New Orleans? Not convinced. Philadelphia? They’ll be tough, but I’m not sold. Seattle? Please. Remember this; in the last seven years there have been seven different NFC Champions. The Rams have the talent to be in the mix this year.
    AV, no way I'd consider refuting anything you say. Plus, I happen to agree with all of the above.

You also brought up a great point about Carriker, and one that hasn't been discussed, or, at least, I haven't heard anyone talking about it. His HEIGHT. Having a 6'6" guy in the middle does make it just a bit more difficult to find a passing lane. Expect a lot of chop blocks on passing plays this year on our guy.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The height could be a blessing or a curse. It could help him bat down balls, but he'll have to be extra careful to play low and not let blockers leverage him off the line of scrimmage. Still, with his size and frame, I think he's going to be a monster defensive tackle for us once he gets comfortable at the new position. Hopefully that will be this year.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Having just spent a week off from even thinking about the Rams
    Man, that must have been a tough thing to do. I would like to know how you accomplished that feat as I haven't been able not to think of the Rams for over 42 years now. (Actually its my wife that really wants to know as I have just about convinced her that there is absolutely NO WAY for this to be done. But she holds out hope that some day I'll be cured of the condition known as "Ramitis".)

WHAT SAY YE?

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

I'd have to say spot on on that one AV. Might I also add another myth.

Myth Number 5# The Rams D is no good

Reality: All though the Rams were horrible at stopping the run, they were great against the pass, ranked number 8 against the pass to be exact. Also let's keep in mind that there was a 3 yards difference in total between us and the Super Bowl Champs. Our +/- differential was off the charts last season +14 to be exact.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I'd have to say spot on on that one AV. Might I also add another myth.

Myth Number 5# The Rams D is no good

Reality: All though the Rams were horrible at stopping the run, they were great against the pass, ranked number 8 against the pass to be exact. Also let's keep in mind that there was a 3 yards difference in total between us and the Super Bowl Champs. Our +/- differential was off the charts last season +14 to be exact.
    That one might be deceptive.

The Rams had an average of 28.2 pass attempts against them per game. That's the third least in the league. Meanwhile, they were 14th in percentage of completions allowed. 14th is okay in that but not yet great. They were 17th in opposing team qb rating. And were 24th in the league in average yards per attempt passing. They were good with turnovers but suffered on 3rd down conversions (31st in the league), though to be fair a lot of that was from rushing attempts.

So, in terms of passing attempts, they were very low; yet were only okay to average in completions allowed, yards per attempt, and opposition qb rating.

All that suggests the pass defense didn't really get tested. Teams just didn't throw against them much last year.

BTW, I expect a lot of those stats to improve this year.

. . .
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-30-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Man, that must have been a tough thing to do. I would like to know how you accomplished that feat as I haven't been able not to think of the Rams for over 42 years now.
    Took the family to Nova Scotia on vacation, where I read no newspapers, watched little TV, and did not have internet access.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Took the family to Nova Scotia on vacation, where I read no newspapers, watched little TV, and did not have internet access.
    I love going places that have no internet access. It is nice to break away from the world for a while. Hope you had fun Avenger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We had a great time.

My vacation was also well timed. Didn't have to worry about Carriker and Bulger, and when I returned, both had signed their contracts.

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    That one might be deceptive.

The Rams had an average of 28.2 pass attempts against them per game. That's the third least in the league. Meanwhile, they were 14th in percentage of completions allowed. 14th is okay in that but not yet great. They were 17th in opposing team qb rating. And were 24th in the league in average yards per attempt passing. They were good with turnovers but suffered on 3rd down conversions (31st in the league), though to be fair a lot of that was from rushing attempts.

So, in terms of passing attempts, they were very low; yet were only okay to average in completions allowed, yards per attempt, and opposition qb rating.

All that suggests the pass defense didn't really get tested. Teams just didn't throw against them much last year.

BTW, I expect a lot of those stats to improve this year.

. . .
    Great fact finding. I believe that we will do fine this year. against both the run and pass. Our first 3 games are all winnable.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

AV...I know, the whole world's a critic, but your sig should say "pick your poison" (Just noticed the skull and crossbones.)
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    AV...I know, the whole world's a critic, but your sig should say "pick your poison" (Just noticed the skull and crossbones.)
    That was, of course, the concept I was going for. Just thought I'd make the text a tad more subtle.

I love thinking about opposing DCs planning their defense. "Okay, the starting CBs will try to cover Holt and Bruce one on one. That leaves our 5'10 nickel back on Bennett? Crap! Now who's covering McMichael? A LB? A safety? Okay, I guess that might work. Have we forgotten anyone? Oh... yeah... Jackson... Where's the goddamn Advil!?!!?!?"

Okay... no more subtle version!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

99,00,01 all said the same thing in that the Rams rushing defense was pretty solid. Any fan would know that wasn't the case but reality was that the Rams scored so many points that opposing teams had to give up the run in the 4th quarter each week. Same thing happened last year with teams giving up on the pass because the games were tight or the Rams were losing.

I suspect the Rams rushing defense is going to look significantly better whether it is reality or not because the Rams offense will routinely be scoring 25+ points.