Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Name 10 qbs better than bulger

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Great point. People like to bring up Jay Cutler or the Mannings or Drew Brees as some of today's best quarterbacks in the NFL. Does anyone realize how many times those guys get sacked compared to Bulger?

Eli has been sacked this year on average once every 37 pass attempts. His brother Petyon, who's having a down year by the way? Once every 24 attempts on average. Drew Brees? Once per 43 pass attempts. The young gun Jay Cutler? Sacked on average once every 63.5 pass attempts! 63!!!!

What's Bulger's number? Once every 7.5 attempts.

It's a pathetic difference. And no, it's not all on the offensive line. But you're kidding yourself if a large part of it isn't.
    I guess part of question there is whether those guys would take as many sacks behind our line. I'm not saying they wouldn't take more than they do now, but one list Bulger won't rank real high on is who makes the most of broken plays. For example, you look at that Romo disaster at last year's Rams/Cowboys game. He loses like thirty yards from a bobbled snap and turns it into a positive play. Favre's calling card has always been his ability to improvise. Bulger seems to be pretty adept at reading defenses before the snap, but if the pass rush gets through, we consider it a victory if he just manages to throw the ball away before getting sacked.

I think Bulger's detractors do get carried away. After all, he seems perfectly capable of throwing it deep. Even if he has been banged up in the past, he's tough and takes a lot of punishment over the years. When he doesn't rush the pass, he is usually pretty accurate, and if he could rely on his offensive line to protect him, he wouldn't rush his throws--which is arguably an even bigger problem than taking so many sacks. On the other hand, he's probably just a little bit under the true "elite" of the league. IMO, he probably fits in a fairly good sized group of worthy candidates for the lower half of the top ten.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Eric Crouch
    Jeff Kemp
    Nolan Cromwell
    Joe Namath
    Dan Pastorini
    Bert Jones
    Chris Chandler
    Gus Frerotte
    James Harris
    Ron Jaworski

Just kidding!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Top 10 Qbs better then Bulger? If you wish to compare stats, its possible to have a "top 10". But if your evaluation of a QBs worth is based on stats, then your missing the larger picture.

Case in point, Anyone Remember Jeff George? Stat was, an excellent to elite QB, but as a player, a total DUD! Every team he played for eventually he lost the confidence of his follow team mates. Stats are a poor excuse to measure the intangibles that is foot Ball.

A QB success and failure often depends on what team he plays for. Jake Plumber, was a dud in Arizona but a stud in Denver. Wonder how his career might have turned out if he didn't was the bulk of his career in AZ. Situation and luck play a large part

In 2008 Even P. Manning is struggling...yes injures on the DOLTs front hasn't help, nor the surgery he had in the off season. So since we live in a WHAT_HAVE_YOU_DONE_FOR_ME LATELY world, he wouldn't make that "top ten" list. P. Manning proves the point of luck and situation

Vince Young--hahaah! I will not even go there since likely what I am thinking will get me banned from the boards

Stat wise and leadership wise, can anyone put P. Rivers or D. Breeze ahead of Bulger? Its about winning and loosing that gets you to the SB. Last year playboy Brady, rock and rolled, turned and burned the Pats to the SB, to only crash and burn at the finish line. So he threw 50 TDs--big deal, no Bling

The question should be who belongs in the Nfl and who doesn't. Bulger belongs
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -10-29-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Because it's not as simple as that. Some QBs like BigRed said have the ability to makes his cast better, and some don't. Therefore you can't simply use the same measuring stick on every QB.
    What I'm asking for isn't the same measuring stick on every QB in the league, but rather the same measuring stick to be used on Bulger in the good times and the bad. If someone is going to claim that Bulger's success was at least in part because of his surrounding talent, I think they should also be willing to acknowledge the role his surrounding talent (or lack there of) played in his lack of success. It's only fair to consider the surrounding talent in both circumstances.

The quarterback, perhaps more than any other player on the field, is dependent on those around him to help him succeed. This is true on every team. Very very rarely do you find a QB having a lot of success when there's minimal talent around them. There's a reason why great quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Matt Hasselbeck, etc have struggled to find as much individual success this season as they're used to, and it's not because they suddenly forgot how to play football.

That's why I said the truth in this matter is probably a balance of both the talent around Bulger and his own ability. It's a team sport, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by detrigg View Post
    I just assumed this reply was a joke...Bulger more mobility than Romo comeon!
    "comeon!" is supposed convince me you're right?

The comment I was responding to claimed that Tony Romo was superior to Bulger because Romo can make plays with his feet. The phrasing of the claim suggests Bulger can't make plays with his feet. But we've seen evidence that Bulger can, and that's what I was illustrating.

The numbers for both of them rushing this year tend to favor Bulger, and the career ypc average isn't significantly different. Would you believe that Bulger actually has the larger career-high rush between the two of them at 29 yards? Would you believe Bulger has more career touchdown runs than Romo?

I think Bulger is more mobile than he's given credit for, but has spent most of his career functioning in offensive systems that don't really take advantage of his mobility that much. It probably doesn't help that his body frame isn't really built to absorb a lot of damage, which is an elevated risk when your QB is on the move potentially in a situation when he's running down field. But the guy has shown he has some decent skills when running the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I guess part of question there is whether those guys would take as many sacks behind our line. I'm not saying they wouldn't take more than they do now, but one list Bulger won't rank real high on is who makes the most of broken plays.
    I don't think he'd be topping the list either, though he certainly does have the ability to make things happen. Go back to the Washington game a couple of weeks ago when, on 3rd & 11, Bulger escapes pressure on a passing play and rushes 13 yards for what would have been a first down, had Alex Barron not been flagged. The next week against Dallas, Bulger scrambles to the right side of the field after the protection breaks down, which gives Holt enough time to cross the field for a first down pass. So the ability to make something out of a broken play is there, but as you said, there are others who do it more often and are more established as improvisational quarterbacks.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What I'm asking for isn't the same measuring stick on every QB in the league, but rather the same measuring stick to be used on Bulger in the good times and the bad. If someone is going to claim that Bulger's success was at least in part because of his surrounding talent, I think they should also be willing to acknowledge the role his surrounding talent (or lack there of) played in his lack of success. It's only fair to consider the surrounding talent in both circumstances.

The quarterback, perhaps more than any other player on the field, is dependent on those around him to help him succeed. This is true on every team. Very very rarely do you find a QB having a lot of success when there's minimal talent around them. There's a reason why great quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Matt Hasselbeck, etc have struggled to find as much individual success this season as they're used to, and it's not because they suddenly forgot how to play football.

That's why I said the truth in this matter is probably a balance of both the talent around Bulger and his own ability. It's a team sport, after all.

"comeon!" is supposed convince me you're right?

The comment I was responding to claimed that Tony Romo was superior to Bulger because Romo can make plays with his feet. The phrasing of the claim suggests Bulger can't make plays with his feet. But we've seen evidence that Bulger can, and that's what I was illustrating.

The numbers for both of them rushing this year tend to favor Bulger, and the career ypc average isn't significantly different. Would you believe that Bulger actually has the larger career-high rush between the two of them at 29 yards? Would you believe Bulger has more career touchdown runs than Romo?

I think Bulger is more mobile than he's given credit for, but has spent most of his career functioning in offensive systems that don't really take advantage of his mobility that much. It probably doesn't help that his body frame isn't really built to absorb a lot of damage, which is an elevated risk when your QB is on the move potentially in a situation when he's running down field. But the guy has shown he has some decent skills when running the ball.

I don't think he'd be topping the list either, though he certainly does have the ability to make things happen. Go back to the Washington game a couple of weeks ago when, on 3rd & 11, Bulger escapes pressure on a passing play and rushes 13 yards for what would have been a first down, had Alex Barron not been flagged. The next week against Dallas, Bulger scrambles to the right side of the field after the protection breaks down, which gives Holt enough time to cross the field for a first down pass. So the ability to make something out of a broken play is there, but as you said, there are others who do it more often and are more established as improvisational quarterbacks.
    I have seen Bulger run out the pocket many times this year only to have a linebacker come unblocked and destroy him. Somebody on the line has to recognize this, and even in these moments, at least try to get in the way. Yes, the quarterback needs to buy himself some time by moving up in the pocket, and rolling out of it, but at the same time, he is also buying time for linemen to react, and running back, who were left behind to get open in the flat. It's still a team effort. What does it matter if Bulger rolls out and receivers quit giving the effort down field?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234