argpdt is offline Registered User

Name 10 Rams that should be in the Hall of Fame

I am curious to get other Rams fan opinions on the many Rams players that should be in the Hall of Fame, and are eligible for election at this time. I would like to see people list their top 10 Rams.
    My top 10:
    1) Les Richter
    2) Ed Meador
    3) Maxie Baughan
    4) Henry Ellard
    5) Isiah Robertson
    6) Jim Benton
    7) Hacksaw Reynolds
    8) John Hadl
    9) Roman Gabriel
    10) Kent Hill

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Name 10 Rams that should be in the Hall of Fame

I'm actually in favor of a very tough standard to make the HOF. Given that, I can't say that there are 10 eligible Rams who I think should make it. The ones who do come to mind are:

Dennis Harrah - I think he was one of the top OGs of the 1980s, and was instrumental in Dickerson's record breaking year. I think he deserves to go.

Henry Ellard - There are so many WRs with good numbers, so it will be tough for Ellard to ever make it, but I think he's worthy.

I also think that Aeneas Williams, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Orlando Pace are future HOFers, and Torry Holt is well on his way.

general counsel Guest

This topic has been debated on the board before, but how there can be a rams ring of fame without roman gabriel in it makes no sense at all, even if he is not in the nfl hall of fame.

I think gabriel, jim benton and ellard are very worthy candidates. Others on the list warrant consideration as well, but i also appreciate the argument that every team has a list of guys that "should" be in, the net result of which would be to triple the size of the hall of fame quickly.

Personally, i think the HOF needs to be the greatest of all time, rather than just very, very good players in a particular era. This is of course especially difficult as statistics change as the game changes over time.

My criteria, subject to adjustment goes something like this. Was the guy one of the three best players at his position for five years or more? I appreciate that this is a strict criteria, but again, i am talking about the greatest of all time. I dont think that would make (for example) john hadl, who has some terrific years, eligible. I also think that longevity is a consideration, but ONLY if he was also dominant at his position for a period of time. What i hate about the baseball hall of fame is that longevity, combined with being very good, rather than great, allows certain guys to get in since they acheive career statistical barriers that act as floors for admittance. Don Sutton was a very good pitcher for a long time (playing on very good teams in a great pitchers park i might add), but he was never a seaver, gibson, carlton etc. He shouldnt be in, 300 wins or not. In the same way that denny mcclain, no matter how dominant for a very short period of time, doesnt get in because he had no track record of long term performance (to say nothing for the felony convictions)

The guys on andys list appear to be all time great rams for sure, but i dont know how many deserve to be in the pro football hall of fame, i just dont know enough about most of them.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

general counsel Guest

what about doug smith.

general counsel

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Doug smith has my vote,so does Ed meador.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    Doug smith has my vote,so does Ed meador.
    forgot to add Warner he will get it one day for his Qb rating while with the Rams. If steve young gets it Warner has to.And yes roman Gabriel this year should get it.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

thoey is offline Registered User

No, "He that shall not be named in this forum" will not get in on what he has done so far. He will need to prove that he is still a top ten QB for several years to get in.
    This space for rent...

Endzorn is offline Registered User

Wow. Ten?

I don't know if there are ANY teams in the league with 10 guys currently deserving of HOF induction. Give it ten years and you'll see at LEAST three current players in the hall. Holt will be a slam dunk, Pace likewise and Faulk is another no-brainer. I think Bruce will be debatable simply because in this era passing/receiving numbers are somewhat inflated. If he was a self-promoter he'd probably make it easily, but he seems to be too classy to pound his own chest.

argpdt is offline Registered User

Maybe there aren't 10 Rams deserving of the HOF, but I added two more players and here is my reasoning:

1) Les Richter - 8 Pro Bowls in 9 years
    2) Ed Meador - 1960s All Decade Team, 46 Int, 5 Pro Bowls, 3 Time All Pro
    3) Maxie Baughan - 9 Pro Bowls, 6 Time All Pro
    4) Henry Ellard - 3 Pro Bowls, 3 Time All Pro
    5) Isiah Robertson - 6 Pro Bowls, 5 Time All Pro
    6) Jim Benton - 1940s All Decade Team, Huge numbers for his era (Rec-288, Yd-4801, Avg-16.7, TD 45)
    7) Hacksaw Reynolds - 2 Pro Bowls
    8) John Hadl - 6 Pro Bowls
    9) Roman Gabriel - 1969 NFL MVP, 4 Pro Bowls
    10) Kent Hill - 5 Pro Bowls, 5 Time All Pro
    11) Del Shofner - 1960s All Decade Team, 5 Pro Bowls, 5 Time All Pro
    12) Nolan Cromwell - 1980s All Decade Team, 4 Pro Bowls, 4 Time All Pro

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Hacksaw Was A Great Ram,but I Am Not So Sure Hes A Hall Of Famer,i Would Like To See Doug Smith And Dennis Harrah Go In.i Also Agree That Cromwell Has An Outside Shot.