NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Name Dropping, again

I told many of you guys previously that I know both of Billy Devaney's brothers- Sean and Dennis. Both coach varsity basketball in the New Jersey Shore conference, and as a coach and phys. ed. teacher at an area high school myself, I see them periodically. Had an opportunity to sit in a luxury box with them at a pre-season game last year, and also saw them both in Tampa this season. Last night, our schools played each other, and i had an opportunity to chat with Dennis for about 20 minutes. After telling him I thought Billy did a great job this year (in which he concurred) and some small talk, a couple other things were discussed.

Like the rest of us, he was disgusted with the Seattle game and with the playcalling, in particular. While he didn't come out and say so, I get the impression that the frustration is more with Spags than with Shurmur. He echoed the sentiments expressed by many of us towards the overly conservative approach in some of the games this season in which we had a lead then let teams come back.

He said although Billy and Spags have generally been in tune with one another on most things to this point, there was a bit of friction on the McDaniels hiring. Billy basically made this move unilaterally-and Spags was not real happy he didn't get to interview McDaniels prior to the hire. It was not an effort by Billy to purposely exclude Spags, but the timing and the speed with which McDaniels was making the rounds necessitated as such. The fear was that Mcdaniels would have been immediately swooped up by intra-division rival Seattle- a belief reinforced by the press- and that wasn't something Billy was prepared to deal with down the road if Seattle was to capitalize at the Rams' expense. He thought highly enough of McDaniels work as a coordinator to where he felt the hire needed to be made.

Needless to say, the Rams LOVE Bradford. And they were extremely happy with their draft this season. They feel one or two more real solid draft classes will have them back in business.

While the Rams are not shopping Steven Jackson, they know they must get a back pretty quickly, as Jackson is hitting the back end of his career. They have made informal inquiries and done their due diligence to determine what his value is in the unlikely event they decided to trade him. It is believed that Jackson's value has dropped a bit the last two seasons, and the best the Rams would be able to get if they traded him would be a 2nd rounder- and nothing else. This is not a deal the Rams would be willing to live with. Again, they are not looking to trade him, but are examining all scenarios moving forward to better their offense. My comment: I think the Rams will look to get a back within a very short period of time and with the addition of Bradford and McDaniels get away from the grind-it-out approach as their receiving talent is upgraded.

Not a whole lot else, but cool to talk to Dennis and keep abreast of the team.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Re: Name Dropping, again

NJ, you're a well respected poster, so when you name-drop, I'd imagine it means more around here than others. Thats quite an interesting connection you have to the Ram's FO. If what Billy D's brother said is true, it would swing momentum (if you want to call it that) back to the "Spags is ultra-conservative" camp. I'm doing my best to leave that heated argument alone, but I remember after the hire it was "He's not really that conservative, it was SPAGS that hired him"

Now, one quick question. Didn't Spags say that "in the interview process we talked about the taping issue" etc..and wasn't McDaniels in Stl for like, 3 or 4 days? From my understanding Spags was part of the interview process, and this is the first I've heard any suggestion that he wasn't. Any thoughts on that?

Not 100% certain, as I didn't pepper Dennis with questions, but it is my understanding that this was Billy's hire. The deal was put together quickly and as such, Spags was basically told "we're going to hire this guy". While he may have briefly been a party to the interview, he had neither the sway nor the input in the interview process normally afforded the head coach. If this hire works or doesn't work, it's on Billy.

Spags has indeed since sat down with mcDaniels to discuss the state of affairs at Rams Park.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Thanks for the info! Always love reading these little bits of "gossip" so to speak.

(must spread around rep...)

BernieM is offline Registered User

My sources confirm that if what you're saying is right that they said the same thing to me before you knew about it.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Either his bro is wrong or Spags and McD are liars. I'm sorry, but I choose to believe the latter.

Spags in an interview with Jim Thomas:
    When asked if he talked about the illegal taping during last Saturday's interview with McDaniels, Spagnuolo replied: "We did, real quick, and I was very OK with the conversation. And then we just moved forward."

Later in Spagnuolo's press conference, he was asked if he had any concerns about the taping incident.

"Again, I was OK with the response I (got)," Spagnuolo said. "Josh knows that we're all about character here. It's a non-issue in my opinion."
    McD in a seperate interview with Jim Thomas:
    "My family and I are extremely happy to be joining the St. Louis Rams," McDaniels said. "Our visit the other day was exceptional. To be able to meet the people, starting with Steve who I've known for a while, and Billy (Devaney) and Kevin (Demoff) and some of the coaches and the people in the building that I had a chance to meet. Everything was first class, and I can't wait to get started there."

McDaniels said his Saturday interview with Spagnuolo broadened his appreciation for him.

"He's got a great vision for what he wants his football team to look like," McDaniels said. "He's got a great plan, and I think that that's always very important. When you're talking about competing in the NFL, you want to be somewhere where you know what the direction is, you know what's expected of you. He laid that out very clearly to me and I'm looking forward to working for him and being a Steve Spagnuolo guy."
    So your boy Dennis is dead wrong. Not trying to be a jerk, but his opinions are no better than any fan, and in this case worse since they are uninformed and flat out wrong.

heff is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Either his bro is wrong or Spags and McD are liars. I'm sorry, but I choose to believe the latter.

So your boy Dennis is dead wrong. Not trying to be a jerk, but his opinions are no better than any fan, and in this case worse since they are uninformed and flat out wrong.
    Or you could learn to read between the lines. Talk about your false dichotomies, ffs...

Well, I'm just relaying the information i received from a guy who would know. And if you can't figure out that sometimes coaches and GM's put on a united front for the media to avoid the appearance of divided opinion, you should learn to not believe everything the press tells you. You really think McDaniels was going to say "I really was glad to meet Billy, Stan and Steve, although i was shocked Steve didn't ask me more questions during the interview?"

When Spags says "we talked to him" regarding the videotaping incident, that could mean "he himself", "he along with Billy D." or "the organization" talked to him. When a coach says "we looked at the injury", he doesn't necessarily mean that HE HIMSELF looked at it, evaluated it and treated it. he means the proper people within the organization (trainers) did.

The point of the story is simple: This was Billy Devaney's hire. He moved on it the minute Shurmur left, and in fact I was told McDaniels was at the airport before Spags even knew the interview was taking place. While Spags was given notice and a cursory role in the process, it was not going to be his decision to make.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-04-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

Whats the point of this post???

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosna-Ram View Post
    To share a side of the story that I promise you'll never see in the media. Even if Billy Devaney's brother completely misunderstood (unlikely) this would still be more interesting that 90% of the stuff on the board. Especially during the slowest part of the year. NJ didn't have to take the time to write this out, and I'm glad he did.
    Last edited by AtlantaRamFan; -02-04-2011 at 12:06 PM.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    To share a side of the story that I promise you'll never see in the media. Even if Billy Devaney's brother completely misunderstood (unlikely) this would still be more interesting that 90% of the stuff on the board. Especially during the slowest part of the year. NJ didn't have to take the time to write this out, and I'm glad he did.
    Agree completely. Thought it was a very interesting insight - thanks NJ.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bosna-Ram View Post
    The original one, or yours?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally, I don't like the overtone of this gossip.