Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

Name THE top 5 blunders by the RAMS FO since the 01' superbowl...

5) LETTING THE REVEREND GO/signing of Drew Bennett
    The Rams as a organizaion just cannot let this happen. Everyone knew Bruce was gone when they signed Drew Bennet to that hurrendous 5yr 30mil deal 2 years ago. Just pathetic to know that we let go MR.RAM for a pathetic excuse for a football player

4) Signing of Jamie Duncan instead of London Fletcher
    I believe fletcher signed with Buffalo for a 5yr 24 mil deal while we signed Duncan to a 5yr 18mil deal hmmmmm wow enough said

3)Drafting Jimmy Kennedy instead of Troy Paulamaulu, or whoever else....
    Imagine the Rams D with the stalwart of a Safety. I believe Shaw's comment was that they didn't think paying a safety that much money is worth it....

2) Draftng Brian Leonard instead of Ryan Khalil
    a halfback which was a bonus instead of the USC stud.
    1) Replacing Mike Martz with Scott Linehan...

No matter what you guys think about Martz he brought stabilty and competitiveness to our organization. With him still here we as an organization would still be in the hunt for playoffs year in year out regardless of the reckless turnovers/ timeouts that MARTZ BROUGHT WITH HIM...

what do you guys all think....

stlramman is offline Registered User

Re: Name THE top 5 blunders by the RAMS FO since the 01' superbowl...

5. Letting Bruce walk and keeping the dead weight that is Bennett.

4. Letting Dre Bly go

3. Drafting Kennedy and Leonard instead of more productive players(I will lump these draft mistakes together)

2.Letting Fletcher go & signing Duncan(We still need a MLB)

1. Giving Jay Z. the title of GM and letting him run the franchise into the ground.

Now i could probably come back to this in a few hours and come up with 5 more blunders they have made so many. Thankfull Jay Z is now gone and hopefully competent football men are going to be put in place. Please God......

stlramman is offline Registered User

Well i just seen you said since the 2001 Super Bowl so Ziggy may have already been named GM. He is still my # 1 blunder .

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Top 5 since the '01 Superbowl? ...let's see.

#1 Hiring Mike Martz as Head Coach. Oh wait, he was hired after the '99 season Superbowl. But after he lost that SB game to the Patriots, I would have fired him on the spot. Better yet, I would never have hired him as HC. He is the single biggest reason the Rams are where they are today. His run of poor draft picks was the foundation to which this house was built.

#2. See number 1.

#3. See number 2.

#4. See number 3.

#5. See number 4.

There was no stability with Martz, no sense of urgency to keep key Superbowl XXXIV players around, no idea on how to replace those same key players that he lost, no knowledge of what it takes to surround himself with a talented coaching staff, and no idea how to be a HC.

...Dre Bly?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

1) Letting Fletcher go
    2) Letting Warner go
    3) Letting Dre' Bly go
    4) Letting Curtis go
    5) Letting Bruce go
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-23-2008 at 09:24 PM.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

1999-2001 was the GSOT era. 2003 was our only other winning season what was the difference about those years?

RT's (winning seasons)
    1999 Fred Miller
    2000 Ryan Tucker
    2001 Ryan Tucker
    2003 Kyle Turley

RT's (non-winning seasons)
    2002 John St. Clair
    2004 Grant Williams / Blaine Saipaia
    2005 Alex Barron / Blaine Saipaia
    2006-2008 Alex (false start) Barron

Problem has been getting and keeping a good RT. They first let Miller go and then Tucker. Then they took on Turley who was a question mark from a mental standpoint as far as the type of player we were getting. John St. Clair, Saipaia, and Williams really had no buisness being starters. Barron was a rookie that we have tried to build into a good player. In the mean time we wasted Holt, Bruce, Bulger, Jacksons, Warner, Faulks talent during the 2002 and 2004-2008 years (six years without a winning record).

From 1999 -2004 thats six years we had five different RT's. To me a big part of this was Martz underestimating the value of his RT's Miller and Tucker and then trying to patch in RT's.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -12-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    #1 Hiring Mike Martz as Head Coach. Oh wait, he was hired after the '99 season Superbowl. But after he lost that SB game to the Patriots, I would have fired him on the spot. Better yet, I would never have hired him as HC. He is the single biggest reason the Rams are where they are today. His run of poor draft picks was the foundation to which this house was built.
    You're kidding right? You would fire a coach for bringing his team to the Superbowl because he didn't win it? No matter how good a team you have you don't get your team all the way to the Superbowl (as well as playoffs almost every year that he was here, and a very high winning percentage) if you aren't a good head coach. He made mistakes sure, but let's not blame 100% of our draft choices on Martz either, I'm sure other people in the organisation had a lot of say too (Armey, Shaw, Zygmunt etc.). You also have to give Martz credit for bringing together many of the star players that ended up making us so competitive for years. Without Martz we don't discover Warner, without Martz we don't trade for Faulk etc. he made mistakes, but he also hit some *major* home runs for us. I think he was a good and underrated head coach for us and I wished we had let him stay instead of running him out of town like we did. I can understand if you don't think he was a great coach, but to say he is the single biggest reason we are where we are today is frankly lunacy.

I don't know, maybe this post was all an elaborate troll, in that case well done, I fell for it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    You're kidding right? You would fire a coach for bringing his team to the Superbowl because he didn't win it? No matter how good a team you have you don't get your team all the way to the Superbowl (as well as playoffs almost every year that he was here, and a very high winning percentage) if you aren't a good head coach. He made mistakes sure, but let's not blame 100% of our draft choices on Martz either, I'm sure other people in the organisation had a lot of say too (Armey, Shaw, Zygmunt etc.). You also have to give Martz credit for bringing together many of the star players that ended up making us so competitive for years. Without Martz we don't discover Warner, without Martz we don't trade for Faulk etc. he made mistakes, but he also hit some *major* home runs for us. I think he was a good and underrated head coach for us and I wished we had let him stay instead of running him out of town like we did. I can understand if you don't think he was a great coach, but to say he is the single biggest reason we are where we are today is frankly lunacy.

I don't know, maybe this post was all an elaborate troll, in that case well done, I fell for it 100%.
    Kidding?

Nope. 100% the way I feel about that turd. What *major* home runs did he hit? (and don't say Jackson because that's been more of a "seeing-eye single" to this point, IMHO) Oh, you must be talking about Trung Candidate...

Since when was Faulk's move to the Rams all Martz's doing? ...and wasn't Martz the one that cut Kurt loose when he thought he was finished and Bulger was the guy to take over. Yeah, now THAT was a good move.

Yes, I feel Mike was the beginning of the end for this franchise, and Linehan just elaborated on it. ..and yes, others are to blame as well, but Mike was the ring leader. He inherited a pretty good team and managed to totally F it up in a very short time.

Look at Mike's drafts and tell me how many (or what percentage) of his picks made a positive impact on this team and are still on this team. Compare that to a real NFL team (translated: successful) and tell me how Mike really did during his tenure. I doubt Mike is on anyone's list of possible replacement HC's.

Nah, I'm sure Mike was the #1 reason this team began it's downward slide.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Why only since 01 Super Bowl, that they lost? Why not since they actually won the Super Bowl? It's a lot easier that way since they made the single biggest mistake that led to this point there.

5. Choosing Little over Fletcher as an order of priority and believing Jamie Duncan was better than Fletcher anyway.

4. Failing to replace Fletcher with any competent or actual MLB since.

3. Allowing Martz to run off Mike Ackerly, who they had brought in to help him with personnel matters.

2. Handing Martz a victory over Charlie Armey in their power struggle for control over personnel decisions. A victory for Martz that culminated in him having full authority and final say over all personnel decisions.

1. Signing Mike Martz to a contract that made him the next Head Coach while their current Head Coach who had just finished building and coaching the team to a Super Bowl Championship was still the Head Coach. Otherwise known as, nudging out Vermeil for Martz that began the process of the decline.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The hiring of the entire front office (with the exception of Devaney) was the biggest mistake made in a long time. It all spirals from there, unfortunately.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good lists so far. The lack of the name "Eric Crouch" disturbs me...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Okay, now that's funny.

But seriously, if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. Great teams begin and end with the O & D lines. They are the foundation of a strong team. Skill positions, and the defensive backfield for that matter, are only as good as the guys up front, and this is where the Rams have failed, miserably. Martz was an expert at ignoring the obvious. He brought in skill players and ignored the O and D lines as players got older and/or left to greener pastures. Yes, he attempted to fix the issue when it all began to fall apart, but his efforts at getting replacements through the draft was atrocious.

...and Eric Crouch (3rd round pick) was just another brilliant move by the "genius", Mike Martz.

Of course I'm sorta tongue-in-cheek when I said it was all MM that led to the demise of the Stl Rams. He had help. But, much of that help was his doing as well. Besides the poor performance as the Rams HC, I will concede that the FO was equally inept at finding quality players, and retaining the ones we had. ...and this continued through the Linehan era.

This organization needs a complete overhaul. Top to bottom. But equally as important, it needs a new attitude, and that's not easy to change. Attitude, good or bad, is like a snowball rolling down a giant slope. Once that snowball begins to gain speed and size, it's a hard thing to stop. You can see it in this team now. They almost expect to lose. As soon as something bad happens, it's "here we go again".

I'm not sure how many years it will take to get this team back on track, but with the FO changes that have already begun to take place, there is hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    The hiring of the entire front office (with the exception of Devaney) was the biggest mistake made in a long time. It all spirals from there, unfortunately.
    Not sure Devaney is an exception either. He is a Zygmunt and Shaw hire. He apparently is in Haslett's corner. He hasn't exactly made a positive difference for teams like Atlanta and the Chargers in his past experiences. Jacob Bell is one of his signature FA signings so far with the Rams.

Plenty of reason to be skeptical of him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Certainly.

Add to that names like Jacoby Shepherd, Tommy Polley, Brian Allen, Lamar Gordon, Robert Thomas, Travis Fisher, Travis Scott, Jimmy Kennedy, Anthony Hargrove, Claude Wroten, Jon Alson and Dominique Byrd as name that haven't been mentioned yet either.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

OK since I made this thread how about the Rams blunders in the draft process as a hole the past 7 years... Names like Milton Wynn,Brian Allen, Jacoby Sheppard, Travis Fisher, Koulaou Noa, Eric Crouch, Courtland Bullard... Not to mention the 1st round picks where you need to select solid picks not flops like Robert Thomas, Jimmy Kennedy, Alex Barron(EVEN THOUGH I STILL THINK HE COULD BE OUR FLOZEL ADAMS B/C HE IS SOLID IN BLOCKING OTHER THAN FALSE STARTS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast