Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: The Naysayers Have No Power Here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Naysayers Have No Power Here.

One thing I've learned from my years as a poster/moderator of this site: there will always be naysayers.

We all know who I'm talking about. There are certain posters who you just know, even before you read there posts, are going to have nothing good to say.

The naysaying topic du jour, of course, is the Rams' draft.

I, for one, am not in the business of "grading" drafts. For me, it comes down to a simple question: does the tactic taken by the team on draft day make sense?

This year, the Rams surprised me with many of their choices. I many cases, they did not select the players I expected. But, when I look at the draft as a whole, the strategy is clear (get Sam Bradford big targets with good hands who can work the middle of the field), and it makes sense.

Still, there are naysayers.

Well, I'm here to say... YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE!

Why? Not because I say so. Rather, its because Spags/Devaney has earned our faith and trust.

From their first to second season, the Rams went from 1 win to 7. The defense improved. The pass rush became feared. The turnover ratio improved. The team acquired starters at QB, both OT spots, MLB and CB through the draft. The team acquired starters at DT, OLB an S through free agency. The team acquired contibuters at WR, DT and S off the scrap heap.

There is still a lot of work to be done, and there are no guarantees, but hasn't the Spags/Devaney team earned enough goodwill to be immune from statements like "that was a horrible pick" or "I hate this draft"?

Contructive criticism is fine.

Raising concerns is to be expected.

But pure naysaying... well, to use a somewhat outdated catch-phrase... that is SOOOOO 2008.
    ZiaRam likes this.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: The Naysayers Have No Power Here.

I couldn't agree with you more. The Rams did not make the popular choices or the big time names that everyone knew, but they drafted players that they liked, that they were impressed with and that they thought would fit THEIR system perfectly. And for that we cant judge them negatively. And even if you dont like the picks the team made, for Christ's sake you haven't even seen them on the field for a practice let alone a game.

richtree is offline Registered User

I am not just trying to stir the pot here, but didn't Devaney draft in 2008 and 2009 ? I don't think you can discount those years simply because Spags wasn't' here. That has to be factored in has part of Devaney's draft history ?

No ?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I am not just trying to stir the pot here, but didn't Devaney draft in 2008 and 2009 ? I don't think you can discount those years simply because Spags wasn't' here. That has to be factored in has part of Devaney's draft history ?

No ?
    No... or, at least, not exactly.

Devaney was on the staff during the 2008 draft, but he was not the General Manager (John Shaw was). He was promoted to GM in December 2008. So that draft (which yielded Chris Long, Donnie Avery, John Greco and Dave Vobora), was only partially Devaney's, and Spags had nothing to do with it.

The 2009 draft was the first of the Spags/Devaney team-up. The first three picks are all starters (J.Smith, Laurinaitis, Fletcher) and the fourth pick (D.Scott) is a contributer.

I don't see how any of this changes the point of the thread.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

It's true. With the short time they've been here, they've done more than a fantastic job. If the record or draft don't prove it to you, than nothing will. We have all our big positions filled (QB, LT, RT, DEx2) and most would argue those are the most important positions on the field. Now we acquire skill positions to top everything and we will be ready to roll.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Nice draft IMO. The first four picks are truly solid, with Quinn being the steal of the draft. The 5th round from OSU, Hines, could be a big time sleeper. Nice, hard hitting, high IQ, hybrid player that will flourish in Spags creative schemes.

Lots of weapons for Bradford/McDaniels.

See you in August.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Nice draft IMO. The first four picks are truly solid, with Quinn being the steal of the draft. The 5th round from OSU, Hines, could be a big time sleeper. Nice, hard hitting, high IQ, hybrid player that will flourish in Spags creative schemes.

Lots of weapons for Bradford/McDaniels.

See you in August.
    from beyond the grave!!! nice to see you again

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Good post.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There is nothing wrong with the draft at this point in my opinion. Next season, we may find a concern or two, but until the guys have a chance to take the field, we won't know if they are a bust or a pro bowler!

Besides, there is not a single reason for anyone to be disappointed in anything...life is great, my blood is blue and gold (even though I may move into a house with a woman who has 4 boys who are Chiefs fans), chocolate still tastes great, and we will have football this year!