Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By RealRam

Thread: The Need For Aggressive Football

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Need For Aggressive Football

I feel it's important that we not let the current allegations involving Gregg Williams to delude us into thinking that all of a sudden we shouldn't try to play hard nosed defensive football. I think unfortunately the recent allegations of "bounties" and the heightened sensitivity to league safety have some people equating hard hitting & physically intimidating defense with dirty football. There is a distinction between the two and no apology needs to be given for wanting to instill an aggressive, blitz-happy hard hitting scheme.

Great defense is the Hallmark of excellent football teams from the '85 Bears to the 2000 Ravens to the Eagles teams of the 2000's to the Giants beating New England twice in the Super Bowl. From the Doomsday defense, to the Purple People Eaters, to the Steel Curtain to our very own Feasome Foursome, intimidation is the name of the game. The offense must DREAD going into your territory for fear of being hit hard and banged up. And the teams that can instill this reluctance on the part of their opponents already have half the battle won. We sometimes speak of "soft" football teams. These teams lack the ability to intimidate. This is an element the Rams must absolutely instill- with or without Williams as the architect. And certainly, coaches must ensure it is being done within the confines of the rules.

Yes, safety is critical in an era where the players are bigger, faster and stronger and where the money is too lucrative to allow guys to have their careers ended prematurely. And no, you cannot allow incentives for injuring a guy or tolerate head shots, blatant attempts to maim. This is not the same game today as it was in the 70's and 80's, but at the end of the day, it's still football.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Truth likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Need For Aggressive Football

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I feel it's important that we not let the current allegations involving Gregg Williams to delude us into thinking that all of a sudden we shouldn't try to play hard nosed defensive football. I think unfortunately the recent allegations of "bounties" and the heightened sensitivity to league safety have some people equating hard hitting & physically intimidating defense with dirty football. There is a distinction between the two and no apology needs to be given for wanting to instill an aggressive, blitz-happy hard hitting scheme.

Yes, safety is critical in an era where the players are bigger, faster and stronger and where the money is too lucrative to allow guys to have their careers ended prematurely. And no, you cannot allow incentives for injuring a guy or tolerate head shots, blatant attempts to maim. This is not the same game today as it was in the 70's and 80's, but at the end of the day, it's still football.
    Totally agree! Even NFL players themselves give in to modern day rules that are mainly designed and intended to protect their well-being.

As NJ said, however, bottome line is that it's still football.

It's still football, professional level. The NFL Films has made a few videos about "Greates Hits", "Best Shots", etc. But as we all know, the game has evolved considerably in terms of safety since the 40s and 50ss. No more face mask grabbing, clothesline tackling, clipping, chop blocking, etc.x3.

Today there is that evident hesitation from NFL officials on the turf to call -- or not call -- some of those absurd "roughing the passer" penalties. They have their orders to 'protect' the multi illion dollar QBs, yet, again, it is still football. Funny how sometimes even the sportscasters calling a game and the commentaries made after the game openly criticize some of those roughing the passer penalties as totally ridiculous and wrong (along with the millions of agreeing TV viewers).

We're right in the middle of a period of adjustment on penalties. It kind of reminds me when the NFL was trying to implement the usage of the infamous metric system. What a riot. ^_^

But since we're dealing with safety concerns in an era where even health has fallen / arisen into the fields of legislative rights, political correctness, information technology, equality and other akin protocols -- of which collegiate and professional are a BIG public part -- why, these types of tabloid revelations such as the Bounty Programs ... "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".

The NFL officials will have their work cut out for them and will be under additional pressure to "get it right", for their duties are now shifting further away from pure football and into the still gray areas of judging what is and what is not proper player conduct and player execution when contact is made with an opposing player. Once more, it just so happens that this sport is American football.

We may soon see more penalties of the 'illegal hits' variety than false starts, offside, holding, etc.

HOF Deacon Jones, Rams DE 1961-71. Generally considered as the best pass rusher in NFL history.

"I wanted to put as much fear into his [the QB's or RBs] heart and as much pain on his back as I possibly could. You got this 270 pounds up to 4.5 and you got an angle on him -- he should go to the hospital. That's exactly what I tried to do. With no remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled him. So each time he came over there [Deacon's territory], I tried to tear his head off.

...I came, I saw, and I did conquer."

Last edited by RealRam; -03-05-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Deacon quote

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Aggressive play is fine, but there is a difference between hitting someone to hurt them (cause pain), and hitting to injure a player (inflict physical damage).

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Aggressive play is fine, but there is a difference between hitting someone to hurt them (cause pain), and hitting to injure a player (inflict physical damage).
    Yes, there is a difference there. But it must be an extremely fine line between those two concepts. Thus the validity of NJ's point in that 'it is still football', i.e., the very nature and essence of this violently aggressive game.

IMO, the real difference of all this Gregg Williams ugly ordeal is that there was a so called "$ystem" used as an incentive for N.O. players to seek and destroy, so to speak, key, selected opponent players. That's what the NFL is presumably trying to investigate and punish, and to keep it from happening again of course.
    Truth likes this.