iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Question Need the board's help

So I've always been a big Rams fan, but rarely get into the small (but important) details about the team because I've always follow my Tigers a lot more. I know a lot more about the team than the average fan, but a lot less than most of you guys on the board. So I have a few questions about the team that I am hoping you can fill me in on.

First of all, I want to say that Bradford and these bookend tackles have me extremely excited for the upcoming season(s). Answer as many or as few of these as you want...

1. I loved Bartell in '08 and thought re-signing him was huge, was last year an aberration due to nagging injuries? How does he compare to Revis/Asomugha?

2. When he comes back, will James Butler be a below average strong safety?

Would you say our biggest offensive needs are in order: #1 Wide Receiver, Running Back (Small scat back?), and Guard?

4. Defense: Strong safety, Pass rushing tackle (similar to the dude on the Titans), SAM Linebacker?

5. What should I expect out of Bradley Fletcher this year, could he be better than Bartell?

6. I've always like Keenan Burton...is he fully healthy now? Where does he stand on this team?

7. If you agree that #1 WR is our biggest need who do you like most in the draft next year, 1st round options include: Jon Baldwin (my favorite), AJ Green, Julio Jones, Malcolm Floyd; 2-3 round options: Ryan Broyles, Terrance Toliver, Greg Little, Austin Pettis
    ......That question might be way too soon to ask, just thought I would anyway

In all honesty, does Danario Alexander have any chance to contribute this year? Fendi Onobun? (I love both of them---Alexander more obviously)

Who are our projected front 7 starters on D? Who of those do you see being starters in future seasons?

Thanks!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Need the board's help

Just my opinion...

#1 I think Bartell is a good #1 corner, but not on the level of Revis/Asomugha. We'll see this season whether it was last year or 2 years ago that was the aberration.

#2 Yes, he's a below average starting strong safety but not a huge liability or anything. I think he does what he's supposed to for the most part.

#3 I think that'd be fair, although TE we have nobody proven and although uh-oh has looked good this pre-season, I'm not willing to scratch TE off our needs list yet.

#4 DE, we've got nothing behind Long. James Hall is our starter right now, it's going to be a big priority next off-season.

#5 I think he's looked good this pre-season, and I've heard some good things about him. But really your guess is as good as mine.

#6 I think he was probably on the way out before Avery got injured. In any case I think he's running out of time to prove himself.

#7 Don't know much about next year's draft outside of AJ Green and Julio Jones being the top 2 WR prospects for now. Julio Jones has seen his stock slide a bit because of the case of the dropsies he caught last year I believe, and the last thing we need is another receiver who can't catch.

#8 I think anybody on the roster at WR or TE has a chance to contribute to be honest. Both of those players are considered projects at this point though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

#9 Long (LDE), Fred Robbins (DT), Gary Gibson (DT), James Hall (RDE), Laurinaitis (Mike), Larry Grant (Will), and Na'il Diggs (Sam) is where I believe it unofficially stands right now. I think Long and Laurinaitis are the only ones I'd be comfortable saying will be starters in future seasons. The rest may or may not, and if James Hall is starting for us next year I think we're in trouble.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -08-29-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

The Rammer is offline Registered User

1. I loved Bartell in '08 and thought re-signing him was huge, was last year an aberration due to nagging injuries? How does he compare to Revis/Asomugha? Bartell is okay. He had injuries last year so he wasn't very good, and I think he'll be better this year, but he won't be as good as he was in 2008. He's not a shutdown guy like Asomugha or Revis.

2. When he comes back, will James Butler be a below average strong safety?
    No, he'll be fine. He's not as good as Atogwe, but he's good enough to be a starter on this team.
    3. Would you say our biggest offensive needs are in order: #1 Wide Receiver, Running Back (Small scat back?), and Guard?
    We need another guard. I love Goldberg, but I don't think he's very good. We really need to get somebody else at guard in order to complete the offensive line, which should be the first priority on any offense. However, because we at least have 4 good players and Goldberg is a good guy to plug in until we find somebody, we need to go out and get another running back. Receivers are going to be fine, even without Avery.

4. Defense: Strong safety, Pass rushing tackle (similar to the dude on the Titans), SAM Linebacker?
    We need another linebacker for the long-term instead of Diggs.

5. What should I expect out of Bradley Fletcher this year, could he be better than Bartell? No idea. He played very well against Randy Moss, and he was good in limited action last year, but it's very hard to tell how good he will be.

6. I've always like Keenan Burton...is he fully healthy now? Where does he stand on this team? He's healthy, but he's fighting for a roster spot. With Avery gone, I'd say he has a good chance to make the team. After the final cuts, I think we'll have Robinson, Amendola, Gilyard, Gibson, Burton, and Alexander on the final team.

7. If you agree that #1 WR is our biggest need who do you like most in the draft next year, 1st round options include: Jon Baldwin (my favorite), AJ Green, Julio Jones, Malcolm Floyd; 2-3 round options: Ryan Broyles, Terrance Toliver, Greg Little, Austin Pettis
    ......That question might be way too soon to ask, just thought I would anyway
    If we had to get somebody, I'd like to get somebody like Julio Jones.

8. In all honesty, does Danario Alexander have any chance to contribute this year? Fendi Onobun? (I love both of them---Alexander more obviously)
    They both will contribute a little bit. Onobun is way ahead of where we thought he'd be at this time (scored a nice touchdown against the Pats). Onobun will contribute. I don't know with Alexander. I think we end up putting 6 wideouts on the final roster, with him in the final spot. He won't see the field much this year, but he'll be good in the future.

9. Who are our projected front 7 starters on D? Who of those do you see being starters in future seasons?
    This season: Long, Gibson, Robbins, Hall, Diggs, Laurinaitis, Grant. In the future: Long, Gibson, Ryan, ?, ?, Laurinaitis, Grant.

marcus1111 is offline Registered User

can only offer an additional name at wr that I am comfortable with by following the team he plays with... pretty sure that one of the top prospects is baldwin from pitt... but there is also rapidly up and coming wr in the same conference that has similar physical qualities by the name of binns from cinn

Thanks for your answers. So Darell Scott and Clifton Ryan will not be starters on September 12? How much PT do you think George Selvie will get this year?

Also, great call on Armon Binns, I did not realize he was that good. Just watched some Youtube videos of him and he is talented. It will be interesting to see how Malcolm Floyd and him play without Tate and Gilyard lining up opposite them this season. And it would also be cool to have Gilyard and Binns re-united in St. Louis in 2011.

I personally think Onobun and Uh-Oh were huge steals, and we could be set at tight end, so I think we are a 6'3+" 1st round WR (or Vincent Jackson for the right price) and a good free agent backup RB (Jerious Norwood?) from being a very good offense. And then a guard from being an unstoppable offense.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

IStillBelieve,
    Nice to see a fellow Tigers fan here! You should come to the Bash September 12th for the Arizona game and i will answer all of your questions! lol...How do you see the Tigers doing this year? Do you think losing DWash will be a huge blow to the team? I am hoping with the soft beginning to the schedule, Mizzou can start out 5-0 without Washington. Hopefully he can accept a plea bargain and get the felony charges dropped soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    IStillBelieve,
    Nice to see a fellow Tigers fan here! You should come to the Bash September 12th for the Arizona game and i will answer all of your questions! lol...How do you see the Tigers doing this year? Do you think losing DWash will be a huge blow to the team? I am hoping with the soft beginning to the schedule, Mizzou can start out 5-0 without Washington. Hopefully he can accept a plea bargain and get the felony charges dropped soon
    Right now I am too mad at my Tigers to give a fair assessment. I just found out our long snapper Beau Brinkley was pulled over for a DWI so that makes 2 DWI's and a felony accusation within 2 weeks of the season opener.

But in all honesty, I felt before DWash's suspension that we could be a 10-2 team with a definite shot at 11-1. Now I'm backing off each of those by one win. We should easily win all of our games except @A&M, OU, @Neb, and @Tech, and if they were at home I feel like we would beat Tech and A&M by at least a TD.

Right now I give us 70% chance at Tech (when do we ever lose to them?), 60% at A&M (worried about the 12th man not about the overrated Jerrod Johnson and the 2-3 starting freshman OL), 40% at Lincoln, and 25% against OU. But that is without seeing any of those teams play, so those percentages really mean nothing.

And I agree, as long as DWash is back by the 6th game we should still start 5-0. I'm more worried about Jerrell Jackson coming back from his wrist injury completely healthy and not playing at less than 100% for most of the season.