Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Never drafting a 1st round OL = Never will.....and other fallacies

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Never drafting a 1st round OL = Never will.....and other fallacies

Now that the season is over, I'm certain the draft talk will only heat up until May get here (why, oh why, must we wait even longer this year!?!) And sitting with the #2 pick, and only one healthy OT under contract, I'm sure we will become quite familiar with the name "Matthews".

But, as we've already heard, many will say there is no way the Rams will draft Matthews because....(sigh).......Fisher has never taken an OL in the 1st round.....(sigh again). As if there is some sort of magical blockade stopping him from ever drafting a 1st round lineman. Yes, that must be it; a magical blockade. Or maybe, just maybe, he's never needed to draft an OL in the 1st round.

When he started his head coaching duties in Houston, he was handed an O-line with no less than 3 first rounders.....both OTs and one OG. The bulk of that line stayed together for years. There was never more than one piece of the line that was changed from year to year. No blowups. No wholesale changes. No need to spend a 1st round pick on an O-lineman.

In fact, Fisher only ever drafted 1 LT. Only one in all his years there. One LT ever drafted! And that was Michael Roos, who has been an All-Pro, and was drafted just outside the 1st round. Why was Roos the only LT to ever be drafted by Fisher, in any round, not just 1st round? Because Brad Hopkins and Michael Roos are the only LTs he has ever needed. Hopkins, the 1st rounder he inherited, and Michael Roos, the near 1st rounder who was the 3rd LT off the board that year.

So why has Fisher never drafted a 1st round OL? Because he has never needed to.

Does that mean that Fisher will never draft a 1st round OL? Of course not, and it is silly to think so.
    RealRam, Rambos, Nick and 8 others like this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Never drafting a 1st round OL = Never will.....and other fallacies

Good stuff Hub.

Take into account that against the Cards, Whiners and Sunday against the Hawks we could not run the ball period. Fisher wants to run the ball, that's what he does. If our O line is getting man handled then the game gets really hard no matter who's at QB, RB or WR. Les and Fisher have put not just a good D line together but a great one. Now we need to do the same for the O line. He will do what he needs to do.
    MauiRam and mde8352gorams like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you think about it, the "never have done it, so never will" philosophy would result in the extinction of the human race, if applied in all areas of life.
    Nick likes this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you think about it, the "never have done it, so never will" philosophy would result in the extinction of the human race, if applied in all areas of life.
    Although it's long been a successful rule when applied to the Seahawks winning the Superbowl.
    RockinRam and gap like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Well I've never drafted a LT in the first round either...or any player in any round. That's besides the point.

Hadn't Fisher never drafted a WR in the 1st round before Austin as well? Or am I making that up? Fisher doesn't strike me as a guy who cares about positional value so much as "Is this the best guy for my team, and can I get him or later or do I have to take him now if I want him" That's just my opinion though.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Now that the season is over, I'm certain the draft talk will only heat up until May get here (why, oh why, must we wait even longer this year!?!) And sitting with the #2 pick, and only one healthy OT under contract, I'm sure we will become quite familiar with the name "Matthews".

But, as we've already heard, many will say there is no way the Rams will draft Matthews because....(sigh).......Fisher has never taken an OL in the 1st round.....(sigh again). As if there is some sort of magical blockade stopping him from ever drafting a 1st round lineman. Yes, that must be it; a magical blockade. Or maybe, just maybe, he's never needed to draft an OL in the 1st round.

When he started his head coaching duties in Houston, he was handed an O-line with no less than 3 first rounders.....both OTs and one OG. The bulk of that line stayed together for years. There was never more than one piece of the line that was changed from year to year. No blowups. No wholesale changes. No need to spend a 1st round pick on an O-lineman.

In fact, Fisher only ever drafted 1 LT. Only one in all his years there. One LT ever drafted! And that was Michael Roos, who has been an All-Pro, and was drafted just outside the 1st round. Why was Roos the only LT to ever be drafted by Fisher, in any round, not just 1st round? Because Brad Hopkins and Michael Roos are the only LTs he has ever needed. Hopkins, the 1st rounder he inherited, and Michael Roos, the near 1st rounder who was the 3rd LT off the board that year.

So why has Fisher never drafted a 1st round OL? Because he has never needed to.

Does that mean that Fisher will never draft a 1st round OL? Of course not, and it is silly to think so.
    Varg6 likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One thing that got to me watching yesterday’s debacle against the hags was the announcers blathering on and on about how the Rams ran the ball on the hags in their first meeting, but this time around, the hags manned up and stopped our running game cold. On the face of it, that is what happened, but to Ram fans, there was a bit more than that to it. Losing Jake Long, Scot Wells, Harvey Dahl, and finally even Saffold, highlighted our pitiful O-line depth.

Coaches (with the possible exception of Martz) consistently stress how important the running game is, and it absolutely is of the utmost importance. There is no better way for a team to impose its will on an opposing team than to run the ball down an opposing team’s throat consistently. Once again, that point was driven home with startling clarity during our pummeling by the hags.

Paul Boudreau has been singled out as a pretty good O-line coach here on this forum. Even to the extent that the Rams don’t need to spend high picks on O-linemen because Boudreau can make lemonade out of lemons. Well if that’s the case, my response is this: Just think what Paul could could do with the likes of Jake Matthews, Gabe Jackson and say Travis Swanson. We desperately need depth on our line. Last night was graphic evidence. The Rams need to fix this, and will have every opportunity to do so come April – and they’d better.

Some of us here have been yammering for spending some high picks on our O-line for a while. I am hoping this is the year. We have a qb, we have decent running backs, our receivers are coming on. Tight ends? We have 3 pretty good ones in Cook, Kendricks, and Harkey. What left? Dbs/safeties/linebacker and O-LINE, O-LINE, O-LINE!!!
    MoonJoe and Randart like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    One thing that got to me watching yesterday’s debacle against the hags was the announcers blathering on and on about how the Rams ran the ball on the hags in their first meeting, but this time around, the hags manned up and stopped our running game cold. On the face of it, that is what happened, but to Ram fans, there was a bit more than that to it. Losing Jake Long, Scot Wells, Harvey Dahl, and finally even Saffold, highlighted our pitiful O-line depth.
    On the other side of things, pretty much no team could lose their entire starting offensive line and still have a good line. No one has two full starting Olines on their roster, it's just not possible.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Fisher might be the head coach, but it's not a monarchy. I'm quite sure the 'brain trust' will realize the importance of a franchise LT...especially considering the storied history of former Ram's at said position.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If you look at the coaches who have been fired today the one commonality is that they had weak offensive lines. With the exception of Trent Williams in Washington each team that fired their HC today had a weak or questionable O-Line. Some had QB's so the answer isn't always having a franchise QB, although it helps significantly, but you cannot win in the NFL with a weak offensive line. Jeff and Les are on it, bet the ranch.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Yeah, for anyone that uses this as a future explanation needs to find something better. But I think this speaks volumes. If Fisher has never spent a 1st round pick on an OT and has had guys that are top 5 (Michael Roos and David Stewart), why start spending 1st's on these guys when he's had an impressive track record developing these guys? I mean, Barksdale was almost out of the league before Fisher got his hands on him. Long was having down years and is now a top LT again.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yeah, for anyone that uses this as a future explanation needs to find something better. But I think this speaks volumes. If Fisher has never spent a 1st round pick on an OT and has had guys that are top 5 (Michael Roos and David Stewart), why start spending 1st's on these guys when he's had an impressive track record developing these guys? I mean, Barksdale was almost out of the league before Fisher got his hands on him. Long was having down years and is now a top LT again.
    Not true Barksdale was a third round pick out of LSU. He played in his rookie year only on teams. He became available because of the Raiders regime change and the new coaches ran a different blocking scheme. The Raiders where and still are messed up.

By Adam Caplan
    September 26, 2012

The Oakland Raiders waived 2011 third-round pick OT Joe Barksdale today, an NFL source confirmed.

Barksdale was listed as an inactive for each of the team’s three games this season. He did appear in all 16 games as a rookie.

Barksdale (6-5, 330) is the third player out of eight selections from the 2011 NFL Draft class to be waived by general manager Reggie McKenzie, who took over earlier this year.

So far, McKenzie has waived Barksdale and CBs DeMarcus VanDyke (third round) and Chimdi Chekwa (fourth round). Those players were three out of the four highest players selected by the Raiders in last year’s draft. Chekwa signed with the Raiders practice squad earlier this month.

Barksdale will be eligible to be claimed off waivers by another team on Thursday.
    The Giants also claimed him, but we got him due to our record... Les strikes again.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

For the record, here is a list of Fisher's first round picks, by position:

QB: 2
    RB: 2
    WR: 3
    TE: 0
    OT: 0
    OG: 0
    C: 0
    DE: 3
    DT: 2
    LB: 2
    CB: 2
    S: 1

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

We drafted Orlando Pace in the 1st round. That seemed to work out pretty well for us.
    Rambos likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We drafted Orlando Pace in the 1st round. That seemed to work out pretty well for us.
    We also drafted Jason Smith #2 overall. What's your point?
    KoaKoi and gap like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast