Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Never drafting a 1st round OL = Never will.....and other fallacies

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Never drafting a 1st round OL = Never will.....and other fallacies

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams sat at 22. They wanted Ogletree and were reasonably confident he'd be there. But they'd been talking with Houston at 27 and Atlanta at 30 about moving down to recoup some of what they'd given up to acquire Austin. Their fallback guy was UCLA defensive end Datone Jones, but if he and Ogletree were gone, they'd take Kentucky guard Larry Warford. As bravely as they spoke about Warford, though, picking him in the first round would amount to a big loss for the Rams.
    Well, there you have it. Aside from the proof that Fisher and company would be willing to take an OL first round, I think what this narrative of the draft room shows is that this is a team that's willing to move down if they have a few guys targeted whom they'd be happy with. If they trade down far enough to miss on Matthews (or Clowney if you prefer), who is next on their target list? Keep an eye on Auburn's Greg Robinson. If he comes out, I think he'll be right in the thick of the race to be the #2 OT in this class.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, I think that's going to be the $64,000 question of this draft.

We're all assuming that Fisher will have a preference for Jake Matthews because of his father, but the truth of the matter is, if the Rams have similar grades on the top 3-4 tackles, then they'll probably not hesitate to move down knowing they can get a similar player later. And for as much as I like and want Matthews, that's a wise strategy if that's how your evaluations have worked out.
    I believe you are 100% correct. This is what Fish and Snead were hired to do - squeeze every drop out of talent out of the draft. I'll admit I am somewhat besotted with Jake Matthews, and I do believe some of Jake's intangibles are likely the result of being Bruce's son. That said, we have no idea at this point how the Rams brain trust have 2014's crop of OTs rated. I just hope we come away with at least 1 top OT prospect and a road grading OG. If Saffold leaves, then a 3rd O-lineman would be just fine too - feasibly a guy who's got some versatility that Boudreau could develop.
    Rambos likes this.

So just to clarify...

A Jeff Fisher coached team just spent the #2 overall pick on an offensive tackle.

Not only that, but after taking Aaron Donald @ 13, the Rams were talking with Baltimore about moving back into the first round to the 17th pick to take a second offensive lineman, Zack Martin.

So had the Rams' design worked out, they could have had TWO first round offensive linemen.

This is why you don't put money on draft trends by coaches when the fine print and nuanced detail says otherwise.
    HUbison, THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

So just to clarify...

A Jeff Fisher coached team just spent the #2 overall pick on an offensive tackle.

Not only that, but after taking Aaron Donald @ 13, the Rams were talking with Baltimore about moving back into the first round to the 17th pick to take a second offensive lineman, Zack Martin.

So had the Rams' design worked out, they could have had TWO first round offensive linemen.

This is why you don't put money on draft trends by coaches when the fine print and nuanced detail says otherwise.
    Per the presser it was a pricey offer too! I'm all for adding more starter quality linemen like Xavier Su'a-Filo in the second. Even if we have to give up some picks to go up and get him!

Mikey is offline Registered User

My local boy Bitonio would be great! He can step in at tackle or guard. Would be just the kind of guy Fisher likes, able to start at multiple spots on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    My local boy Bitonio would be great! He can step in at tackle or guard. Would be just the kind of guy Fisher likes, able to start at multiple spots on the line.
    I agree. If the Rams were willing to move up for Martin, they should be willing to pay less and move up on Day 2 for Bitonio. I'd be pleased if they made that move.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So just to clarify...

I'm just glad this myth has finally been put to bed. I swear, I threw up a little every time some talking head used "Jeff Fisher has never drafted a 1st round O-lineman" as a legitimate logical link.
    Nick and sosa39rams like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm just glad this myth has finally been put to bed. I swear, I threw up a little every time some talking head used "Jeff Fisher has never drafted a 1st round O-lineman" as a legitimate logical link.
    Agreed.

Mocks where the Rams pass on an OL for another prospect are fine, when logical reasoning is provided in favor of the decision.

But when I saw a mock that had the Rams passing on an OL and the reason given was because Fisher has never drafted an OL in the first round, I usually found myself having to suppress the urge to pull a Biff Tannen...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123