Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Never too early - draft for next year

What is nice about the upcoming draft is that the Rams needs are well established and clear. If you think about the 1st three choices there are only 4 positions that would even warrant consideration:

On Offense: WR and TE

The OL (assuming Incognito is signed) is already stocked for depth, RB same, QB same, FB same.. even TE might be a stretch given the Rams use of TE's but I still want a TE for the redzone. A big WR is a top 3 need.

On Defense: CB and OLB

DT with Pickett and Kennedy could draft for backup but no dire need, DE could draft for development after Little but Hargrove/Green are sufficient now, ILB Claiborne/Chillar is fine, and lots of choices invested in safeties and FA last year. That leaves a difference maker CB (especially with Bartell a question mark) and a OLB to groom behind Coakley to take over in a year.

What also sets up well is that the strength of this years draft - OL is not a Rams need, so players in the need positions will be pushed down.

This is critical as the Rams will be drafting #32 !!!!!!!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Never too early - draft for next year

Too early.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Not sure why you're so quick to dismiss Coakley. He hasn't proven that he shouldn't be starting yet. Chillar seemingly would be able to jump into the starting lineup though. Then again two years down the line Coakley might be considering hanging it up.

I've been thinking about this myself. The only position of need I see is at CB. Even if Butler is healthy I'd still like to add a better cover guy than Fisher, perhaps someone bigger too. I remember when we had Aeneas, McCleon, Bly and Fisher. Those were the days. I'd love to have depth like that again.

I'd consider a DE in the first round if a stud slips to us. Someone to push Hargrove on the right side. Hard to tell if we'd need it though.

Another interior O-Lineman might be worth consideration on Day 1. You can never have too much depth on the O-Line. Maybe even another tackle in case one of the big bookends goes down.

Hopefully we'll be looking at the next draft as building depth instead of filling needs like the last few years. As Avenger said, its a little to early to tell where we'll be.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Way to early!

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Way way way too early!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Too early.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR
    to early to tell
    Quote Originally Posted by TTA61
    Way to early!
    Bah! What a bunch of buzzkills. :tongue: It's too early for serious analysis, but it's never too early for wild-eyed speculation! So bring on the no-basis-havin'-guessin'-pullin'-it-outta-my-butt draft analysis.

P.S. And let me add that I love the fact that we are closer to the 2005 draft than the 2006 draft, yet the discussion has already been brought up......man I love football.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

ok, I'll play. CB is definate need, not sure how Butler comes back. Could use a G, or any O lineman. Always use them.

For the first year in a long time, we may actually have reason to draft the BPA instead of looking for a specific need. So assuming that we wind up picking somewhere in the bottom third of the first round, who might we look at? Here's my best guesses, if we go with......

CB - Jimmy Williams of VT would be a dream, but probably gone well before we pick. Therefore, I say we go with Miami's Devin Hester. He is not nearly as pro-ready as Rolle this year, but with a little seasoning could be a fine corner, and as a bonus could be our return man from day 1.

FS - It's a weak year for safeties, but if we go that way a playmaker like Texas' Michael Huff would be a good choice or L.S.U.'s Laron Landry.

TE - Marcedes Lewis out of U.C.L.A. is the top choice and an outstanding playmaker. However, he may be gone somewhere in the teens and (hopefully) we'll pick after that. So I'd go with Georgia's Leonard Pope. He's a big guy 6'7" 260, but moves well. If not Pope, then Oregon's Tim Day would be a good choice as well.

OLB - This is a great year to be looking for a LB. There are a ton of legitimate 1st rounders to pick from even in the lower third of the round. Greenway and Hawk will be gone so no need to even start salivating over them. However, U.T.E.P's Thomas Howard has piqued my interest. He has good size (6'3" 245) and runs like a DB. Just as Demarcus Ware was the small school athletic freak in 2005, Thomas Howard is the answer for 2006, the difference being big school guys like Greenway, Hawk, Carpenter, & Sims will probably go in front of Howard leaving him for a late pick team in the first.

OT - We could be here all day talking about the depth at OT this year, which makes me want to say I'd pick NOBODY at OT in the first. There will be a solid pickup in the 2nd if that's the direction we go. So for the 2nd round pick, I'd take the monster out of BC, Jeremy Trueblood 6'9" 330. He's a great OT in his own right, but this year there will be probably 6 or 7 OTs ahead of him.

OG - The extremely athletic and versatile Davin Joseph from Oklahoma or the mountainous (6'4" 350) Max Jean-Gilles from Georgia would be legitimate picks at this spot. After that I don't know if there is a guard worth a 1st pick.

DE - Personally, I feel good about the further development of Hargrove, but if we want an early DE, I'd go with Penn St.'s Tamba Hali or VT's Daryl Tapp. Honestly, after BC's Kiwi and NC St's Mario Williams (assuming he comes out) there's a pretty big drop off. But either Hali or Tapp could be a good pick if we're low in the round.

BPA - If we go with the best available, we HAVE to go with Thomas Howard. Did I mention that this nearly 250 lber runs a 4.4? He's the opposite of Arch, which is to say, Howard started as a SS, but grew (literally) out of his position and is now an OLB. He will probably have some of the same small school growing pains that we've seen with Bartell, but Howard is my pick for our 1st round spot if we find ourselves in the 20's. The kid is going to turn heads if he can make the jump from small school to the NFL.
    Last edited by HUbison; -09-29-2005 at 10:12 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Maybe The Bpa Will Be A Return Man, I Know You Dont Draft A Player Just For That But We Could Sure Use A Good One, Get Back To The Days Of Horne And Az(minus The Fumbles).also I Agree With A Db I Am Not Overly Impressed With Fisher, I Think We Can Upgrade There, I Like What Groce Has Done So Far And Jb Will Be Solid When He Returns,i Also Agree With The Point Draft A Big Hard Hitting Cb To Help Cover These Big Receivers We Keep Seeing.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm as big a UM fan as there is on this board, but I can tell you that Devin Hester is not a first round CB prospect. His best asset is his PR abilities, which generally does not merit an early selection.

You want think about a FA prospect? How about Steve Hutchinson, who recently broke off contract talks with Seattle, and is set to be a UFA next year. How about adding him to the Rams O line, while taking him away from Seattle?

Like I said... way too early.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm as big a UM fan as there is on this board, but I can tell you that Devin Hester is not a first round CB prospect. His best asset is his PR abilities, which generally does not merit an early selection.

You want think about a FA prospect? How about Steve Hutchinson, who recently broke off contract talks with Seattle, and is set to be a UFA next year. How about adding him to the Rams O line, while taking him away from Seattle?

Like I said... way too early.
    Right now, I agree about Hester. But I think with a little time he could be very solid, and a top-notch return man even as a rookie. But if we want a contributing corner from day 1, then no he isn't our best shot.

And like I said.....where's the fun in calling it too early?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How about this.....

We draft ANYONE who plays special teams for Virginia Tech...

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    How about this.....

We draft ANYONE who plays special teams for Virginia Tech...
    How do they ALWAYS have solid special teams? It's like their the antiRams are something. Whatever is in the water down in Blacksburg needs to get pumped into Earth City.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's never too early to be thinking about the draft, because right now is college football season as well, and you can tune in on Saturday's to watch the prospects you think might be good additions to your team. I certainly hope that our organization doesn't feel it's too early to me scouting prospects for April!

Two of the biggest positions of need I think we'll have is DB and interior lineman, specifically OG.

We just drafted Bartell in the second round, and Groce has been coming along nicely. But Travis Fisher has been somewhat disappointing thus far, and I believe only has two years left on his contract. Groce has played nicely in relief for Butler, but you can never have enough depth at corner. Two of the top DB prospects - VA Tech's Jimmy Williams and Tennessee's Jason Allen - have experience at both corner and free safety, where OJ Atogwe really hasn't made a great impact yet. Williams is 6'3" 206 lbs but runs an approximated 4.36 forty, and can be physical with almost any receiver. Not exactly in the mold of what we have in CBs, and he'll be off the board before we select, unless this season doesn't turn out well. Other names to keep on the radar include Clemson's Tye Hill (5'10", 180, ~4.25 forty), BC's Will Blackmon (6'0" 198), and as mentioned, Miami's Devin Hester (5'11" 185).

As for offensive guards, we have Terrell who has shown some early promise. I don't think we've seen enough of Saipaia to feel comfortable about him anywhere in the future, and we don't know what's going on with Incognito. So all that said, there is some nice Day One depth there that probably could be had in the second or third round, though obviously that's a very early projection. I think guys like Matt Lentz and Aaron Lips are both very good prospects that could be made as value picks later in the first day. There isn't a great deal of top end talent, though guys like Oklahoma's Davin Joseph and Georgia's Max Jean-Gilles stand out right now. Don't rule out a guy like Adam Stenavich, who is a college tackle but will probably have to move to guard because of size limitations.

Someone mentioned linebacker, and I think that's a fair assessment, because Dexter Coakley probably will not play for the length of his five-year contract. There are a lot of talented linebackers in this draft, my favorite of which is Virginia's Ahmad Brooks, who may be more suited for the middle rather than outside, but is perhaps the best linebacker prospect in a long time. Also, you've got top end guys like AJ Hawk and Chad Greenway, and it appears the class has some good depth as well. Last year's class was thin at safety, and I think in general this one isn't any better. I'm not sure I'd use a Day One pick on a safety, maybe not even any picks until fifth round or so. That could change if Carter and Atogwe don't start coming around, but I don't see a lot of stand-out players in this safety class. There are some intriguing guys in the tight end class, many of whom will probably last into the second and third rounds, maybe even later. It might be the right time this offseason to think about looking at one of these top tight ends.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Well Cornerback. I have a few suggestions being a Hawkeye fan. #1 Jovon Johnson: 15 Career interceptions and if you add up Pacman and Antrelle Rolle last year they only had 11 combined so he is definetly better in coverage and #2 for outside LB if by some miracle they aren't picked up maybe Chad Greenway or Abdul Hodge.
    RamsFan16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast