RamWraith is offline Registered User

New coach approves Rams’ rookies

By R.B. FALLSTROM Associated Press

May 16, 2006

ST. LOUIS — Except for maybe some conditioning issues, St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan found a lot to be pleased about with the team’s latest crop of rookies.

The team wrapped up a three-day minicamp on Monday and Linehan said his initial impressions confirmed the Rams’ draft analysis. Selected others participated in the camp, including offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who missed his rookie year with a knee injury.

“It was a great weekend,” Linehan said. “We got established what we wanted to get done, and I think the rookies really responded.

“We tested them, and they passed with flying colors.”

Linehan found something positive to say about nearly all the draft picks. Cornerback Tye Hill, the No. 1 pick, showed the coach his competitive side tempered by humbleness. The two tight ends picked to replace Brandon Manumaleuna in the second and third round, Joe Klopfenstein and Dominique Byrd, displayed complementary talents.

Third-rounder Claude Wroten, a defensive end with a drug bust and at least one failed drug test in his recent past, impressed with talent that Linehan has maintained would have made him a top 15 pick without his troubles.

On and on it went, the compliments flowing freely. Linehan had said he wasn’t going to overload the youngsters with information but he said they ended up with the same heavy dose the veterans received in the team’s first minicamp and it didn’t result in paralysis.

“A lot of them come from very good backgrounds and we felt pretty comfortable with them anyway,” Linehan said. “But you want to see what translates onto the field, and they’ve done it.”

Linebacker Jon Alston, a third-round pick, said the camp was challenging mostly from a mental standpoint.

“The physical part wasn’t the most difficult part, it was trying to process everything,” Alston said. “We had a lot of things go in in a very short time.”

Linehan’s lone quibble: players running out gas. Most of Monday’s session, which lasted a little over an hour, dealt with conditioning.

“I think all of our rookies need to get in a little better shape so they can perform better, consistently, throughout practice,” Linehan said. “That’s a little bit of an issue for rookies always, because it is different.”

The brisk pace caught some rookies off-guard.

“I thought it was going to be more of a walkthrough type event, and it was more of a high-tempo, get-after-it event,” Hill said. “I thought I did pretty good for just getting back into football shape.

“Playing wide receivers, I haven’t done any of that stuff since the Senior Bowl.”

It’s about to get a lot different. Veterans will join in for the first of 17 OTAs, or organized team activities, today.

“They just got a taste of it, but it’s good, it gets rid of the shock value,” Linehan said. “It’ll pick up pretty dramatically once we get the other guys in here.”

Hill, for one, was eager to see how he measures up.

“I’m actually looking forward to the veterans coming in, like Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce,” Hill said. “Hopefully I’ll get a chance to go up against them.”

The absence of quarterbacks at Monday’s workout provided a good opportunity for the Rams to take a look at former Virginia quarterback Marques Hagans, who was drafted in the fifth round as an all-around threat who could show up at wide receiver, running back and punt returner. Hagans took some snaps and did some throwing.

“That’s going to be his M.O., be versatile,” Linehan said. “He’s not uncomfortable doing that and proves to us that he’s the ultimate versatile type of athlete.”

The Rams released two undrafted players, tight end Ed Nelson and defensive end Kory Lothe. The 6-8, 265-pound Nelson was a backup on the Connecticut basketball team and had not played football since his freshman year of high school.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: New coach approves Rams’ rookies

I read stuff like this and the movie Bull Durham comes into my head.

"Play'em one at a time"
    "I'm only here to help the ballclub win"

yada, yada, yada. I understand though, what's he supposed to say? "Watching tape of Barron last year made me wonder where his head was sometimes. Jumping offsides three times in a row?" or, "Tye Hill better run as fast as the speed of light, his hands are concrete pillars and he's so small he couldn't get on the roller coaster at Six Flags over Mid America".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    he's so small he couldn't get on the roller coaster at Six Flags over Mid America
    LOL You must be THIS tall to play corner for the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark Guest

I see what you're saying tx, it's always hard to get honest opinions in the offseason, or actually from journalists in general I guess. You don't know what reporters (if any) you can trust, it's always great to hear the positives but I for one would be happy to hear some negatives too, just so you know it's for real when they talk up a guy. Of course it's natural that the coaches won't say anything negative about their own team, but it would be great if the journalists would be more straightforward - that's their job after all...

Still I appreciate how almost any story that has to do with the Rams is posted here on the Clan, it's really become my one-stop for any news on the team - however inaccurate those news may be

You don't know what reporters (if any) you can trust
    I think Balzer does a good job. He doesn't pass out roses, nor does he think the sky's falling. He gives you fact followed by (IMO) logical opinions.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I’m actually looking forward to the veterans coming in, like Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce,” Hill said. “Hopefully I’ll get a chance to go up against them.”
    My money's on Ike and Torry, he'll get schooled. But, if he does manage to cover these two I'll be mighty impressed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think Balzer does a good job. He doesn't pass out roses, nor does he think the sky's falling. He gives you fact followed by (IMO) logical opinions.
    Ok, thanks for the tip. Personally I dislike Wagoner (always too positive about everything IMO), but I guess I should expect him to be without much integrity since he reports for the official site.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Personally I dislike Wagoner (always too positive about everything IMO), but I guess I should expect him to be without much integrity since he reports for the official site.
    I disagree; I think Wagoner does a very good job of putting out insightful information from inside Rams Park. Yes he works for the team, but he is far from a rah, rah type. He isn't as bias as Blalzer might be, but at least he usually gives a grounded view of the team.

Well that's JMO.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark
    Ok, thanks for the tip. Personally I dislike Wagoner (always too positive about everything IMO), but I guess I should expect him to be without much integrity since he reports for the official site.
    Well, I like Waggoner's articles, but you're right.....knowing who signs the paycheck can make a difference.