Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is this a new era, or is it just more of the same.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is this a new era, or is it just more of the same.

I think that most Rams' fans are fairly optimistic about how Jeff Fisher and his new staff can impact the team. That said, a lot of the positive comments I've read are tempered with cautionary language along the lines of "but we felt this way when Spagnuolo was hired too."

My question is, is the fear of a "same old Rams" outcome the most logical approach, or is there reason to believe that this is truly a new era.

I think there is a lot of support for the latter conclusion.

The main difference is Stan Kroenke. At this point, he seems to be more of a "whatever it takes" kind of owner than the Rams have had in a long time. Certainly, his successful recruitment of Fisher - the hottest coaching prospect on the market - supports this assessment.

This is really Kroenke's first chance to make a real mark on the team. In 2009, he was in the middle of the deal to purchase the team, and then to gain league approval in light of his other ownership interests, so he really did not have the opportunity to put his mark on the team.

In 2010, he was again handcuffed by the lockout (though he still managed to bring in Josh McDaniels, who was a very sought-after coordinator).

This year, he finally has a full offseason to build HIS team. He cleaned house in the front office and coaching staff, and is well on his way to building a very experienced and accomplished leadership group.

The next step will be free agency. I am hopeful that Kroenke will make his mark there as well, as the Rams are in a position (to an extent this year, and more so in 2013), to make competitive bids for top players.

While there are no guarantees, I feel like the recent past is pretty much irrelevant to the Rams future prospects. This is a whole new era and, if all goes as planned, we could see a "relevant" franchise (like we had for most of the 70s and 80s, as well as the GSOT era).

I guess my point is, all I'm saying... is give Stan a chance.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Is this a new era, or is it just more of the same.

I think it is a clear change... I have been a fan for awhile and not a fan of ownership in the past. Going back as far as letting ED go. We have always been cheap. No longer, Stan not only is paying our coach in the top 3-5 coaches in the NFL, but when all is said and done our staff will be high paid and come with experience.

I say the sign is clearly out in the front of our store front "Under new management".

Getting Fisher runs deeper then just his .500 record. He has clout in the NFL and it's paying off already with his staff. Lets see who our GM is going to be. Spags came to a team that had it's management in place, we have cleaned house and have a fresh start IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I think FA and the draft will show if we are moving into a new era or if it will more of the same.

I was very happy when we signed Spags and even happier when we brought in McDaniels. I really thought that we were at a turning point and moving into a new era. Now one season later I have become more courteous about talking about new era, Rams in the playoffs and going to the big game. But as we see any year there is not much needed to go from last till first. And it seems that Kroenke is serious about getting experienced people on the coating staff. Now I hope he is as serious about getting good people on the team, at the end of the day that is what counts! Talent and a good team depth!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I guess my point is, all I'm saying... is give Stan a chance.
    Two, one two three four
    Everybody's talking about
    Spagism, Schottism, LAism, Londonism, Oldism or Newism
    This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m.

[Chorus]
    All we are saying is give Stan a chance
    All we are saying is give Stan a chance
    Truth and clarasDK like this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Queue John Lennon song....."All we are S-A-Y-I-N-G is give Stan a chance!!"

I agree. I like what I've been seeing so far from our new owner.

I predict the 2011 season will be a mere bump in the road as the Rams ascend their rightful place among the elite of the NFL.

So move over Whiners and SeaPukes and Tards there is a new sheriff in town, and he's kickin' azz and taking names!

The Rams are back in town. (Queue "The Boys are Back in Town")

WHAT SAY YE?
    Truth and Rambunctious like this.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

In view of what's gone on, change is as good as a rest and as this is Stan's first real move towards putting his stamp on the organisation, I'm as optimistic as I can be.

I don't expect great things next season but I'll be spending $200 on gamepass regardless in the expectation I see some competitive football and that's all I expect I'll see for the next 16 games.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    In view of what's gone on, change is as good as a rest and as this is Stan's first real move towards putting his stamp on the organisation, I'm as optimistic as I can be.

I don't expect great things next season but I'll be spending $200 on gamepass regardless in the expectation I see some competitive football and that's all I expect I'll see for the next 16 games.
    I agree. I really don't expect to be in the playoffs next season. However, I want to see a team that is more disciplined, and doesn't beat themselves, on a regular basis, by making stupid mistakes.

Of course I expect we'll see "I told you so", and "Fire Fisher" posts if we don't have a winning season next year. It's going to take some time to fix this mess. I think we have the right people working on it.
    Last edited by Truth; -01-24-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

With the way the Whiners played, the late season surge of the Cardinals and Seahawks, it should be a interesting division to watch next year. We got the best QB in the division and that, along with an attitude adjustment should give us every chance of making some noise in 2012.
    lostsoul likes this.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I say "new era" after ease dropping on rehearsals for first team meeting.

Is this a new era, or is it just more of the same.-lesson1.jpg
    live4ramin likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'll make one guarentee, Stan will be a better owner than Georgia. ...or her two kids.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Like you said Av, it feels like a different era because there's stability with ownership and that's an incredibly important ingredient--maybe the most important--to having a great organization. So, in that respect, I'm quite thrilled with the direction we're headed in.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Im down with Stan and his pelt! Nowhere to go...but UP!!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

After years of heartbreak, headache and downright futility, I am usually a pessimist when it comes to the Rams. When I've been positive, I wind up disappointed. Spags' hiring and last year's 7-9 record comes to mind as two examples. With that said, however, I am encouraged towards next season for several reasons.

One, Like AV pointed out are the actions and words of Stan Kroenke. I feel he understands the state of affairs with the Rams. I feel he sincerely wants to win and is being proactive towards that end. I am encouraged by the way he has handled things starting with the firing of Spags and Billy D.

Two is the hiring of Jeff Fisher. He was without doubt the best available coaching candidate who had a degree of past success who expressed an interest in a return to coaching. He has surrounded himself with experienced coordinators who have been successful elsewhere. And if history is any indication, he will bring a toughness and a fiery mentality to the Rams.

And three, I do not feel the Rams are that far off. We have some pieces. If we can get that playmaker and make good decisions in the draft plus stay relatively healthy, there is no reason to think the Rams couldn't make a huge improvement from a won-loss standpoint.

Yes we need upgrades at several positions. Yes, there will be some growing pains. But one thing I hate is this "loser's mentality" in which people are ALREADY saying 5-11, 6-10. WHY??? What POSSIBLY can be gained by accepting such garbage? Is it a defense against being disappointed yet again? Did anyone watch SF this season and what they did? Is anyone on this board familiar with the '99 Rams and what they did? I go into every season thinking we can have a winning record. I will never waiver from that. Now as the season unfolds, expectations change, of course, but that doesn't mean we should just figure on being sh**ty.

Why not us in 2012-2013??
    THOLTFAN81 and bcrox123 like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Lets wait until the regular season starts.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Change is sometime painful but necessary the rams had no choice; status quo was not the answer. Stain IMO wants to win so I think the team is headed in the right direction. They say changing the culture of loosing is one of the hardest things to do but I think the rams have a chance to do that now with new leadership.
    :ramlogo:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast