Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    atcchris is offline Registered User

New "Faction" in Ram-land?

I've been a fan of the Rams since the days of Roman Gabriel, and I've never had the priviledge of living in the same general area as the Rams. Lived in Hawaii and Oklahoma when the Rams were in LA, and in Texas since they've been in St. Louis.

We have a pretty big mix of fans.. still a lot of them left from the LA days.. and sometimes there is a little tension when the subject of "moving the team back to LA" comes up.

Sadly, there have been factions based on QB controversies (of course, each generation thinks they're the first to ever see a QB controversie).

Well, LA fans and St. Louis fans.. I think you're about to encounter another group: The Sooner Nation.

I have been a member of THAT tribe since my 2nd year at the University of Oklahoma. (believe it or not, I wasn't a fan when I started going there.. I was a west coast sports fan... but I grew to love the Sooners quickly)

Proximity to Dallas means that, in the past, a lot of Sooner fans followed the Plowboys. Lots of tension there, though.. because Dallas is in TEXAS.. and it's counter-intuitive for OU fans to like much from Texas. So.. a lot of Oklahoma folks follow the Chefs (SIC), as they are the AFC team piped to Oklahoma most of the time.

Many Sooners began following the Vikings when AD was drafted there (no.. don't tell me it's AP.. AD is for All Day..).. but make no mistake... Sam Bradford IS Oklahoma. Not only did he play for the Sooners, but he played high school in the Oklahoma City area. As long as he's a Ram, we Sooner fans will follow him and root for him.

Now, I'm sure that will raise warning flags for some... "are you a fan of the team, or the players?!". Well.. that's going to be up to some of our fellow fans here in Ram-ville. Are we going to accept and respect this influx of new fans.. understand their passion and help them gain a love of the Rams as a team? I know the Rams' organization will want to cultivate this potential fan base... will we accept these newcomers and do our best not to alienate and disrespect them? We're fans of Sam. We're proud of our Sooners. It's a perfect opportunity for a state without an NFL team to gain one. Hope we take advantage of it.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: New "Faction" in Ram-land?

I'd be happy to bring more fans here. Its always nice to have something in common with people especially football. I'd welcome them with open arms. I just hope they start coming now because when they come in 3 years and were 13-3 they will be called "bandwagons".

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd be happy to bring more fans here. Its always nice to have something in common with people especially football. I'd welcome them with open arms. I just hope they start coming now because when they come in 3 years and were 13-3 they will be called "bandwagons".
    I agree! There's nothing a Sooner fan hates worse than a bandwagoner. Not even Texas fans.. lol... when Sooners had our challenges with Smellenberger in the 90s, lots of folks jumped off.. pretty foolish. We Rams have had a lot jumping off the bandwagon lately.

Unless I miss my guess, you will be amazed at the Sooner fans that will come to the games.. maybe not buy season tickets because it is a little far for that.. but to go to at least 1 game... and as long as Sam remains a Ram, they'll remain fans...

If nothing else, it could be an interesting sociological study... the tradition "fan" model, old school, was that you were a fan of the team in your town. If you didn't have a team in your town, it was going to be the closest. If there were two teams in town, battle lines were drawn. Since the US has gone mobile, and free agency's heyday, people are more and more bringing their loyalties across the country.. in the Rams' case, we didn't move; the team did.. so did the Cards.. etc... but younger fans now.. they can be fans of any team with Dish Network, etc... so will people follow a player or a team? How will they bond with the team.. after all.. who really cheers for the "front office"? It's pretty complex.

In any event, we're going to have an influx of Sooner Fans. Let's make them Ram fans too. They are some of the most knowledgeable about football and the most rabid. It would be a good business move for the Rams FO to cultivate this. It will be good for the team as a whole and a much-needed injection for the fan base as a whole.

MACD is offline Registered User

I"m in the southwest corner of Missouri...always liked the Rams...long-time Sooner fan (lived there a lot of years too). And there's lots of Sooner gear worn here. Having Sam go to St. Louis is a dream come true for thousands of Sooners. Every Sunday the Rams are on my TV...football season just ratcheted up a notch for me if that's possible.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

atcchris,

I have a question for you. What did the Sooner fans do when another native son, Troy Aikman, played for the Cowboys? Did they become fans of the 'boys because Troy was there?

Just a wonderin'

WHAT SAY YE?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I know some Cardinals fans that said when Leinart went there so did a mess of USC fans. Of course those were the fans calling for Warner to be benched and Leinart named the starter. It gets funny, because when Warner started playing well and the Cards started winning, those fans never seemed to be around anymore, lol.

The thing to keep in mind is not putting the player before the team. I know there are gonna be a lot of Sooner fans who want Bradford to do well and that's really the only reason they are going to follow the Rams. That's great, it's fun to follow guys you watched in college go pro and see how they do. What I don't want to see is Bradford-only fans coming by if things are going bad and bashing the entire team trying to make up excuses for him. I've seen that with Vince Young on the Titans (early on in his career) and big time with Leinart on the Cardinals. Luckily we don't have a big time QB controvery like Arizona had.

Not saying it's a certainty that is going to happen here, hopefully it won't, but I've seen some stuff in the past that really got members angry with each other, and I really hope we can avoid that here at the Clan.

Of course I'm hoping Bradford comes out and does great and that doesn't even become an issue!!!

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    atcchris,

I have a question for you. What did the Sooner fans do when another native son, Troy Aikman, played for the Cowboys? Did they become fans of the 'boys because Troy was there?

Just a wonderin'

WHAT SAY YE?
    You mean before he jumped ship and went to UCLA? They probably weren't too happy about that...

I was not thrilled when the shift went from Suh to Sam. I have seen Sam on TV a lot here in TX, and he is going to be a great QB. I just thought it was too early to fill that piece. I've come around. We are still missing pieces, but I think Sam has what it takes to rally the troops and get 110% with what we have. Playoffs? Probably not this year, but we could not afford another 1-15 season.
    This space for rent...

atcchris,

Just a wonderin'

WHAT SAY YE?
    A lot of them did become Cowboy fans.. really, it was a natural. Gotta remember, he didn't do much at OU (broken ankle in Miami game then transferred to UCLA). That was still enough, since he also played HS football at a school near Tulsa.

Oklahoma fans are thirsty for a reason to follow an NFL squad. I submit that many of the Cowboy fans who are also Sooner fans are just looking for a reason NOT to root for a team from Tejas...

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I know some Cardinals fans that said when Leinart went there so did a mess of USC fans. Of course those were the fans calling for Warner to be benched and Leinart named the starter. It gets funny, because when Warner started playing well and the Cards started winning, those fans never seemed to be around anymore, lol.

The thing to keep in mind is not putting the player before the team. I know there are gonna be a lot of Sooner fans who want Bradford to do well and that's really the only reason they are going to follow the Rams. That's great, it's fun to follow guys you watched in college go pro and see how they do. What I don't want to see is Bradford-only fans coming by if things are going bad and bashing the entire team trying to make up excuses for him. I've seen that with Vince Young on the Titans (early on in his career) and big time with Leinart on the Cardinals. Luckily we don't have a big time QB controvery like Arizona had.

Not saying it's a certainty that is going to happen here, hopefully it won't, but I've seen some stuff in the past that really got members angry with each other, and I really hope we can avoid that here at the Clan.

Of course I'm hoping Bradford comes out and does great and that doesn't even become an issue!!!
    Make no mistake.. if Sooner fans are given to reason to come to love the Rams, and Sam goes somewhere else fairly quickly, I don't think they hang around... St. Louis isn't really close enough to bond with if there's no "hook". The Hook right now is Bradford. Seems a lot of fan loyalty starts in childhood.. My son (who now goes to OU) fell in love with the Rams when Kurt was there.. and we were here in the DFW area with the Cowboys just begging to be rooted-for... He also started following the Vikings after AD got drafted by them.. but he (and I) would root for the Rams over the Vikings when they play... (now, if the Rams had drafted Suh rather than Bradford... not certain who my son would have rooted for in that case.. for me, I'd have rooted for the Rams, but wouldn't have been as stung by the loss so long as Peterson had a good game).

Not sure it would be useful, but like I said.. the more I think about it, the more interesting a study would be of why fans are fans and why they root for whom they root.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I am a die-hard Husker, so I will be following the Lions for the first time ever, just to see the impact that Suh will have. I think it will be fun to watch Suh play win/lose/draw. However, I am a bigger fan of the NFL and I Love my Rams. Nothing will ever change that.

More Ram's fans=more Ram's fans. I do not really spend much time considering the finer details of that equation, but I welcome anyone who cheers at my side. Bradford is the man to be sure, and I know it is going to be a fun year.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Guitardeth Guest

Sooner fan here and new Ram fan / bradford fan

Boomer Sooner and GO RAMS!!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Ahem..........

(Patience, patience.)
    "The horror"

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris View Post
    A lot of them did become Cowboy fans.. really, it was a natural. Gotta remember, he didn't do much at OU (broken ankle in Miami game then transferred to UCLA). That was still enough, since he also played HS football at a school near Tulsa.

Oklahoma fans are thirsty for a reason to follow an NFL squad. I submit that many of the Cowboy fans who are also Sooner fans are just looking for a reason NOT to root for a team from Tejas...
    Troy is from Henryetta which is near OKC; didn't he play HS ball there?

Troy is from Henryetta which is near OKC; didn't he play HS ball there?
    Sorry, but Henryetta, OK is about a 51 mile drive down US 75 from the center of Tulsa. It's about 90 miles east on I-40 from the middle of OKC. He did play HS ball there. The Fighting Hens, if I recall correctly.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris View Post
    Make no mistake.. if Sooner fans are given to reason to come to love the Rams, and Sam goes somewhere else fairly quickly, I don't think they hang around... St. Louis isn't really close enough to bond with if there's no "hook". The Hook right now is Bradford. Seems a lot of fan loyalty starts in childhood.. My son (who now goes to OU) fell in love with the Rams when Kurt was there.. and we were here in the DFW area with the Cowboys just begging to be rooted-for... He also started following the Vikings after AD got drafted by them.. but he (and I) would root for the Rams over the Vikings when they play... (now, if the Rams had drafted Suh rather than Bradford... not certain who my son would have rooted for in that case.. for me, I'd have rooted for the Rams, but wouldn't have been as stung by the loss so long as Peterson had a good game).

Not sure it would be useful, but like I said.. the more I think about it, the more interesting a study would be of why fans are fans and why they root for whom they root.
    Kinda the same here with me. I didn't really get in to football until about 2001, but I liked baseball and kept up with the St.Louis Cardinals because of McGwire. Once I got in to football, it seemed natural for me to check out St.Louis first, and then I really started to follow the Rams big time once I learned more about the story of Kurt Warner and of course the offense was dang fun to watch. I totally understand the college football factor, I follow the Alabama players (McClain, Ryans, Samuels, etc...) and root for them, but always root for the Rams as a whole first.

My guess would be the highest percentage of "team loyalty" would be because that is what you are born in to. What would really interest me is people who are not born in to a "football bloodline" and how they come around to choosing their team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast