Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A new feature - AvengerRam's Media Glower Rankings

Most of those who have been here for a while know that I intensely dislike sportswriters and commentators in general. So, I've decided, as a new feature, to provide a list of the worst of the worst. I'll update this as the season goes along

So, here is the preseason version of:

AvengerRam's
    Media Glower Rankings

1) Sean Salisbury: Salisbury has the dishonor of topping the inaugural list. He combines all the worst elements of sports media - lack of intelligence, disregard for facts (for example, he recently quipped that the Rams only made the playoffs last year because of their weak division - despite the fact that the Rams were a wild card!), penchant for "smack type" commentary (is anyone not tired of his "battles" with John Clayton), and unmasked dislike for the Rams.

2) Bernie Miklasz: Some may have expected him to top my list, and he might just yet. Bernie claims to be Rams insider, but his columns seem to be little more than a forum for him to tell us what an insider he is. If Bernie ever learned that its team, and not Bernie Miklasz, that people are interested in, he might be worth something. Or... maybe not.

3) Chris Berman: Recently, during an archeological dig at a Mayan site in Mexico, a cashe of food items was found that predated the discovery of the new world. These food items were less stale than Berman's jokes, catch phrases, and ever-so-tired "nicknames." Plus, he's a Whiner fan.

4) John Hadley: He's a sports reporter! He's a Rams employee! Wait... he's both! If this self aggrandizing blowhard lacked credibility before, with his new dual role he has lost all traces of believability.

5) Jim Rome: He'll never, in my mind, recover from the "Chris" Everett incident, but my real problem with him is the way he speaks. He sounds like an 11 year old boy. Completely insufferable.

6) Merrill Hodges: Its funny how ex-players who have joined the media often don't get that they need to show some degree of objectivity. Hodges loves the teams he loves, hates the teams he hates (including the Rams) and doesn't try to hide it.

7) Paul Maguire: Worst color commentator in the business, in my opinion. The guy is surly, opinionated (and not in a good way) and actually makes Joe Theismann look good by comparison.

8) Tom Jackson: Another Ram hater. But Jackson's real problem is that he seems to be too static in his opinions. He never seems to adjust his analysis to account for what has actually happened on the field.

9) Stephen A. Smith: Did I hear the basketball moron extraordinare commenting on football?!?!? This could be a very bad thing.

10) Peter King: Can you tell us how much you love and admire the Patriots one more time, Peter. Please!!! Could you?

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: A new feature - AvengerRam's Media Glower Rankings

Very good Av, very good. Couldn't have put it any better.
    Looking forward to the week by week... who's Av's #1.
    Up one spot from last week is ???
    Down two spots from last week is ???

This is gonna be good. Best post you've had in quite some time, entertaining & educational.

Maineram - LOL
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Very good Av, very good. Couldn't have put it any better.
    Looking forward to the week by week... who's Av's #1.
    Up one spot from last week is ???
    Down two spots from last week is ???

This is gonna be good. Best post you've had in quite some time, entertaining & educational.

Maineram - LOL
    Not to mention, nice mix of national and local head-talkers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

BernieM is one very well respected journalist. I'll always take up for Bernie.

Sean Salisbury is terrible. I like it that John Clayton owns him in their debates.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

The Glower rankings.Should be side by side with ESPN's Power (cough cough) Rankings.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

In my best rendition of 'Mr. Hopson'.....

"I'll alert the media"

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Like the list Av, however I'd take Maguire off and put Theismann on. I like Maguire and if I had to work with Theismann, I'd be surly too. As far as Smith, quite frankly, he should be near the top of the list.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Crap that list makes me miss Howard (the duck)Cosell and dan deerdork.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Actually, King has always been fairly complimentarry to the Rams, IMO.

And lat's face it, unless you're a Ram or Raider fan, the Pats are easy to love, especially if your in the media.

That said, Avenger, it's a great list, especially with Salisbury at the top.

:tongue: <----This is for Salisbury.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Pete Prisco, Len "Pastabelly" Pasquerelli and Chris Collinsworth could push for spots on the list. Its a de-merit system. I'll be watching and reading during the season, and the spoiled cream will sink to the bottom!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Here's what your problem's going to be...

By week 4, EVERYbody's going to be on the Rams bandwagon!hone:
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Well, if I detect that they are being phony, that too will make me glower!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

1) Sean Salisbury: Salisbury has the dishonor of topping the inaugural list. He combines all the worst elements of sports media - lack of intelligence, disregard for facts (for example, he recently quipped that the Rams only made the playoffs last year because of their weak division - despite the fact that the Rams were a wild card!), penchant for "smack type" commentary (is anyone not tired of his "battles" with John Clayton), and unmasked dislike for the RamsGood choice AV. I actually watched NFL DEAD (I was bored) the other night, and they started out by jumping on the Vikes bandwagon. Dumb ass (S.S) when into how Minn. drafted well and made good additions to the D, but forgot to mention that a HUGE part of the O is missing.

Then came the RAMS. " They need to improve their run D, special teams, and protect the QB" S.S

Not even an mention of the FA's that were brought in, or the players drafted.

So look out. ESNP's bandwagon team is the Vikes. LOL

:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

You forgot that little mole guy John Clayton...I absolutely detest every word he says. He gets everything wrong and his prediction are sure to never pan out. Everything he says happens exactly opposite of how he says it will happen. Those segments on ESPN with him and Steak-boy (Salisbury) are the worst few minutes in sports.

And yes, that was Stephen A. Smith slobbering all over the Patriots on his spot for his new show (sure to be the worst on television)...he loves Brady and the Pats. I can't stand this guy either.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I gotta stick up for Bernie. He's always written as a fan. It goes well with his radio talk. He may come off as this "insider", but think how many years he's put up with us know-it-alls.

No, I pretty well like all our local guys. They have to walk a thin line in a small market like ours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast