Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

New offensive coordinator - whomever he is - will handle play-calling duties in '08

Coach to hand off play-calling duty
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Jan. 12 2008

Coach Scott Linehan isn't far along in his search for an offensive coordinator. But whoever it is, the new hire will handle play-calling duties for the Rams next season.

"It's hard to be the head coach and immerse yourself as a coordinator," Linehan told the Post-Dispatch on Friday.

It's a lesson Linehan had to learn the hard way, after calling plays for 10 games in 2006 and 12 games in '07. "It's part of the learning process," he said.

Among the 32 NFL teams, only 10 head coaches also called plays entering the 2007 season. Offensive coordinator Greg Olson called plays for the first four games of the Rams' '07 season.

But even before Olson was replaced as play caller by Linehan after the Dallas game, team sources said Linehan was much more involved in game planning and play calling at the start of the season. Much more than he was over the final six games of '06, when Olson took over play calling.

Olson is in a strange sort of limbo for '08. He has been informed by Linehan that he will not be the team's offensive coordinator next season. While Olson is subject to reassignment on the staff, Linehan said, "We wanted him to have the freedom to look around for a job, if he wanted to."

So Olson obviously has been given a professional courtesy that wasn't afforded to fired offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. "I don't know if there is a good way to do any of these things," Linehan said.

Linehan said he has spoken with several potential offensive coordinators on the phone but has held no formal interviews. Those interviews are expected to begin this weekend, first in St. Louis, and then early next week in Los Angeles, where Linehan is headed for the Rams' annual "summit meetings" with team president John Shaw and president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt.

Although team sources say there is a working list of 10 to 12 offensive coordinator candidates, Linehan said he has an "unlimited list," one that includes those experienced and inexperienced with calling plays, as well as NFL and college coaches.

Linehan says he's in no hurry to decide, and the interview process could continue during Senior Bowl week in late January.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: New offensive coordinator - whomever he is - will handle play-calling duties in '

Deja Vu all over again? I thought we learned last year his play calling didn't work? :notworking:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: New offensive coordinator - whomever he is - will handle play-calling duties in '

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Although team sources say there is a working list of 10 to 12 offensive coordinator candidates, Linehan said he has an "unlimited list," one that includes those experienced and inexperienced with calling plays, as well as NFL and college coaches.
    If thats true. He better impress the hell out of me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

and inexperienced with calling plays
    Smoke screen I hope.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

In Linny We Trust!!!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Well Scotty better get a move on it and find a OC!!!!

fact is its likely a good idea to have a long sit down and many POW-WOW sessions with your OC long before the draft....me thinks it kinda helps in knowing what personal you need for the offense your going to field. Kinda helps me thinks to know what you want to do when it comes to free-agency moves too.

Or has Scotty just hinted what went wrong in 07. Among many stumbles the first in a long chain of them was a failure to plan?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm heading to St. Louis on Tuesday for my interview.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm heading to St. Louis on Tuesday for my interview.
    Why? I already accepted the position!

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-12-2008, 03:47 AM