RamWraith is offline Registered User

New Rams contribute big in opening victory

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - No. 1 draft choice Ty Hill wasted little time making his mark on the St. Louis Rams defense.

Hill had the first of three St. Louis interceptions Sunday, helping the Rams to an 18-10 victory over the Denver Broncos. The defense held the Broncos to just 259 net yards, forcing five turnovers and tallying four sacks.

"We were aggressive the whole game. That's the way we play," Hill said. "We were prepared for this game. We executed what we had to do."

It was a different look for the St. Louis defense. After ranking 30th overall last year, the Rams overhauled the defense by bringing in several players and naming Jim Haslett as the new coordinator.

The changes worked in the season opener, as many of the newcomers contributed with big plays.

"We made some great additions to the defense," said end Leonard Little, who forced a fumble, recorded two sacks and added five tackles. "We needed a change on defense."

Middle linebacker Will Witherspoon, a free agent signed from Carolina, led the Rams with nine tackles. He also forced a fumble that was recovered by free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, a second-year pro making his first start. Later, Witherspoon tipped a pass that was intercepted by right cornerback Fakir Brown in the fourth quarter to thwart a Denver drive.

Three other free agents - Brown (New Orleans), strong safety Corey Chavous (Minnesota) and nose tackle La'Roi Glover (Dallas) - have bolstered the defense. Chavous, a co-captain, picked off a pass, and fellow co-captain Glover had two tackles and helped stuff the run.

The defense wants to put to rest the thought this group resembles the previous porous Rams defensive units.

"We definitely had to prove to people we weren't going to be the old St. Louis Rams defense," Witherspoon said. "You know, where they'll get the job done to a certain extent. We want to go out there and do it at the highest level. We want to go out there and make things happen every down, every series."

This defense did. In the last two Denver series of the first quarter and the first one in the second period, the Rams caused three consecutive turnovers, including two fumbles and Hill's interception.

"It got fun for me real quick," Hill said.

The defense wants to create turnovers to help the offense.

"We stayed on them," Witherspoon said. "Our goal as a defense is to give our offense a chance. We want to stop their offense and give our offense the ball. We want to give them a shot to get something done."

Coach Scott Linehan, in his debut with the Rams, was pleased with what he saw from the defense.

"It was pretty impressive," Linehan said. "I would credit the entire defensive staff and the players as well. Our defensive players have embraced everything we are doing. Half the battle is believing, and it paid dividends today."

However, no one is getting too excited about the result because it is only one game.

"It is just the first week," Chavous said. "I think it's good we came out and played well at times. I emphasize that, because there were times we should have done things a little better and we'll try to improve on those this week.

"The defense will definitely try to come out and improve for the game next week."

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: New Rams contribute big in opening victory

I guess no one can talk about our secondary anymore. 3 int is pretty impressive.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I guess no one can talk about our secondary anymore. 3 int is pretty impressive.
    Especially against a team that was supposed to annihilate us.....

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

thursday Guest

Imagine what the team can do if the defense plays like this every week