RamWraith is offline Registered User

New season gets under way Monday

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/18/2007

It's still four months until the start of training camp, but vacation time is over for the Rams. Preparation for the 2007 season begins in earnest Monday with the start of the team's offseason conditioning program. Although the training sessions are voluntary, most of the Rams who are under contract will attend.

"I attribute our ability to get through training camp relatively healthy due to how we conditioned and trained last year," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "And I think we want to build on that."

The bedrock of the offseason conditioning program remains weight lifting and running. The basic goals are to get stronger and faster, if possible. Linehan takes more of an old-school approach to weight training.

"I guess more of the traditional type of lifting," he said. "This is a game that requires at every position a certain level of power to go along with speed. So you've got to try to balance the two. Advertisement

"We like to work as a group, lift as a group, make each group competitive. We try to make it a competitive environment in the offseason just like we do during the season, because that just breeds a more healthy training regimen. It helps sell the team concept."

The Rams have 59 players under contract or tendered as restricted free agents. Most are expected at Rams Park on Monday. Some players coming off surgery will be limited in their conditioning. That group includes newly acquired defensive end James Hall (shoulder), wide receiver Torry Holt (shoulder), center Andy McCollum (knee) and linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa (shoulder).

In general, the offseason program consists of four days of workouts each week. That setup gives players three days of recovery time. For those with permanent residences outside of St. Louis or who just like to travel it gives them three-day weekends. Players have the option of getting in another workout Friday, which also can be a make-up day if they miss a session earlier in the week.

The Rams had good attendance for the offseason program last spring. Linehan expects a similar turnout this year.

"I'd be surprised if it was any different," Linehan said. "I know our players are very motivated to get back and get started. I'm realistic about the prospects of having everybody here, but I also expect that most everybody's going to be here for the entire program."

Ducksauce is offline Registered User

Cool Re: New season gets under way Monday

Can't wait:seasux:

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: New season gets under way Monday

The title of this thread threw me for a loop. I know the dates of the 2007 games don't come out til around the middle of April. But I thought maybe our 2007 was starting on Monday Night Football.:x :x

My heart just stopped racing!!!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I wish I could be there to join them, perhaps it would motivate me to get into shape.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I wish I could be there to join them, perhaps it would motivate me to get into shape.
    Same here, 68. Then I could say, "Hey Terrell, I lost 35 pounds!" [Okay, with Nutrisystem.] And I'd compete with Chris Massey at bench pressing 225 lbs. 34 times (my goal is 37).

Fit fans for Rams! :x