Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlueTalon

Thread: Newbie from UK

Rampage29 is offline Registered User

Newbie from UK

Hi all Ram fans.

A newbie from the UK here. Have been a Rams fan for over 30 years now but only just plucked up enough courage to register as my knowledge regarding the game is still pretty limited.

Therefore advanced apologies if I ask some really dumb ass questions! However I have read this forum for sometime now and you all seem a friendly bunch.

Anyway my first question is something that was raised on the Bleacher Report. They say that in hindsight the Rams should have stuck with their no.2 draft pick and gone for RG3 rather than trading down.

Personally I feel what we did was right, but would be interested in hearing your views.

Cheers & Beers
    Rampage29
    Last edited by Nick; -12-29-2012 at 10:04 PM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Newbie from UK

I rather like the...what? 5 players we got out of that trade *this* year and the 3 or 4 major contributors we got out of that five.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Welcome Rampage29!

You'll find this Clan to be the best, really -- much STL Rams knowledge, great discussions, polls, etc.

As for the draft Q, yes, you're right: it was the correct move IMO and that of many fine fans.

rampower is offline Registered User

Newbie from UK

Hello, fellow UK fan here, plenty of us. Don't worry, I learn new things about the game all the time, it never surprises, rules change every year too.

We did the only thing with Sam we could, keep him. Cap hit would have been horrendous. We would have got RG3 maybe Cleveland's picks for sam and then had no money to sign long and. JL55 for the future. You can kiss brokers and Finnegan goodbye too. So we did the only thing we could. Kept Sam
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Welcome to the Clan

You'll see a number of "journalists" try to make arguments for why the Rams should have drafted RG3, but rampower nailed it. Even if the Rams wanted to draft him, it would have been a monster cap hit. Laurinatis, Long, for sure, but also Jenkins (who could win Defensive Rookie of the Year), and Brockers (who has been just as impressive), not to mention next years pick.

If you take out those players, you gut the defense. RG3 has been impressive in Washington, no one is arguing that. But he has more playmakers there than people realize, as well as a rookie RB who is in the top 5 in rushing. That kind of running game will do wonders for your passing game. There's not guarantee he'd be putting up the same numbers in St. Louis. Couple that with the hype that Bradford had after his first year, bringing his team to the brink of the playoffs after a bad season (sound familiar?). It's too early to evaluate RG3 as a QB but it's not too early to say that Rams really didn't have much choice but to put up the draft pick for trade.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Cap hit or no cap hit, staying with Sam and picking up so many quality players is a no-brainer. RGIII can only take you so far for so long, you need a team to take it the distance. RGIII will get hurt scrambling and perhaps worse then the last time and the non-trade won't be discussed.

Short term, RGIII was a good deal, long term.... I'll take Sam and all the picks.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Cap hit or no cap hit, staying with Sam and picking up so many quality players is a no-brainer. RGIII can only take you so far for so long, you need a team to take it the distance. RGIII will get hurt scrambling and perhaps worse then the last time and the non-trade won't be discussed.

Short term, RGIII was a good deal, long term.... I'll take Sam and all the picks.
    I agree with you 100%

RG3 is playing great. The fact is he will not play any better over time. In fact he will come back to earth. He has missed two games in his first year. The advice he is getting has been for him to play safer and smarter. It will take about three years and he will be become more of a pocket passer and not a running threat.

I will take the over that he will have way more then 4 INT in year two. Also I will take the under that his RAT in far less then 104 next year.

The NFL is full of smart coaches. They will find a way to slow him down and that includes the rest of the young QBs that are running the option. Once they have the film on these guys someone will come up with the blue print to stop it they always do.

Donovan McNabb ran early in his career and then stopped.

Mcnair ran around, if you saw his a football life on NFLN he was beat up so bad at one point he did not want to play anymore and he was one tough dude,

You can't play QB and run around and play very long.

The avg life of a running back in the nfl is 2.57 years, I wounder why.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

We did the right thing. Yes RG3 is playing well, but I guess he will have similar to Vicks where he will have a hard time staying healthy with all that running the ball.

We got great players this year who are allready helping and we have extra picks the next two years. I am very happy with the trade.

And welcome to the clan nice with more members from Europe (or islands next to us).

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

One thing the talking idiots don't talk much about is the system RGmememe is in. Kirk Cousins has played in three games, and started one for the Skins, and he has a QB rating of 101.6. Oh, and he is also a rookie QB. Maybe the talking idiots should be talking about how the RAMS should have traded fourth round picks, cut Sam, and selected Cousins. ;/.

I am not high on Sam because he frequently makes really bad decisions when he is in a non-stress position. I'm talking poorly thrown passes to wide open receivers, forcing throws when another player was open, locking onto receivers, etc. These are things that a #1 pick should not be doing in year three.

All of that said, we had no other option to stay with Sam, and I believe he will eventually become an upper echelon QB. I just hope it happens in a RAMS uni, and starts next year.

gap

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage29 View Post
    Anyway my first question is something that was raised on the Bleacher Report. They say that in hindsight the Rams should have stuck with their no.2 draft pick and gone for RG3 rather than trading down.

Personally I feel what we did was right, but would be interested in hearing your views.
    First of all, for the sake of your mental health, avoid the Bleacher Report like the plague. It is to journalism what open sewers are to health care.

To the point -- it is unfair to criticize a decision based on information which was impossible to know at the time the decision was made. The Rams weighed the options, and decided it would be better for the franchise to go with Bradford at QB and use the equity from the 2nd pick into numerous improvements across the roster, rather than doubling down on 1st round picks to upgrade the QB position.

I think it was absolutely the right decision for the Rams. As a fan of a division rival, I would have much preferred the Rams to stay put at the 2nd pick, and invest it in QB redundancy. It probably would have kept the Rams in the basement for another couple of years.

If the Seahawks were in that position, I would have wanted them to do exactly what the Rams did. The Rams now have a coaching staff and a front office who seem to know how to build a team -- by all indications, the best the Rams have had in a decade.
    gap likes this.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage29 View Post
    Hi all Ram fans.

A newbie from the UK here. Have been a Rams fan for over 30 years now but only just plucked up enough courage to register as my knowledge regarding the game is still pretty limited.

Therefore advanced apologies if I ask some really dumb ass questions! However I have read this forum for sometime now and you all seem a friendly bunch.

Cheers & Beers
    Rampage29
    Welcome Rampage29 Time will tell on the deal of our last draft as we have more picks from that deal but I believe we have got a great start in the players we have already obtained from the deal. Hope to see you on board alot in the future and stop by the chatroom on gameday. It's a blast!