RamWraith is offline Registered User

Newly signed Craft feels ready to chip in

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/25/2008

Even though the Saints signed free-agent cornerbacks Aaron Glenn and Randall Gay in the offseason, then drafted Tracy Porter in the second round, Jason Craft was stunned when he was released last week.

"I had no clue it was coming," he said. "They told me they were going to roll with all the corners, but I guess they had to make a different decision."

Craft, a 10-year veteran, signed with the Rams after Fakhir Brown was released Wednesday morning. After his practice with his new team, the 5-foot-10, 187-pound Craft said he should be able to contribute Sunday, when Buffalo visits the Edwards Jones Dome.

"I'm pretty familiar with the defense," Craft said. "I'll just keep myself in the playbook. I'll be all right."

Craft, 32, is expected to take over as the nickel back, covering the slot receiver on passing downs, and help out on special teams.

"Jason has a background as a starter, a nickel player and as a special-teams player," coach Scott Linehan said. "His full background is something that we were looking for."

BURTON MENDING

Rookie wideout Keenan Burton, who had surgery for torn knee cartilage after the season-opener, said that his recovery is "coming along on schedule" and that he could be back as early as the post-bye-week contest Oct. 12 at Washington.

Burton, a fourth-round draftee, withstood several injuries at Kentucky and wanted to give it a go this time, too. "But Coach came to me and said I'm too young in my career to fight through an injury like that," Burton said. "He was looking out for my best interests, and that made me feel good."

CADDELL RETURNS

Almost a month after he was released, wide receiver Matt Caddell has rejoined the Rams. He was signed to the practice squad Tuesday, replacing linebacker Marc Magro.

"I'm was just staying in shape and waiting on my next opportunity," said Caddell, an undrafted rookie out of Clemson who was with the Rams during training camp. "I didn't know if it was going to come with this team or another team, but I'm glad to be back in St. Louis."

RAM-BLINGS

Running back Steven Jackson (groin), defensive end James Hall (thigh), defensive end Leonard Little (hamstring) and tackle Orlando Pace (groin) were limited at practice. ... The Rams are practicing in the morning this week; previously, the Wednesday and Thursday workouts were held in the afternoon. "I went back to the schedule that I'm accustomed to," Linehan explained. "The other one didn't seem to be doing the trick."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Newly signed Craft feels ready to chip in

The Saints defense is one of the worst in the NFL.

2007 RANK:
    26th Overall
    30th Pass D

2008 RANK:
    28th Overall
    29th Pass D

I doubt the Saints released (CRAFT) one of they're better secondary players if they even have any but anything is possible.

Sometimes a change of scenery/team rejuvenates a player. Let's hope so.

Seems crazy to me to let Fahkir Brown go and bring in this guy.

GO RAMS!!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Newly signed Craft feels ready to chip in

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/25/2008

Even though the Saints signed free-agent cornerbacks Aaron Glenn and Randall Gay in the offseason, then drafted Tracy Porter in the second round, Jason Craft was stunned when he was released last week.

"I had no clue it was coming," he said. "They told me they were going to roll with all the corners, but I guess they had to make a different decision."

Craft, a 10-year veteran, signed with the Rams after Fakhir Brown was released Wednesday morning. After his practice with his new team, the 5-foot-10, 187-pound Craft said he should be able to contribute Sunday, when Buffalo visits the Edwards Jones Dome.

"I'm pretty familiar with the defense," Craft said. "I'll just keep myself in the playbook. I'll be all right."

Craft, 32, is expected to take over as the nickel back, covering the slot receiver on passing downs, and help out on special teams.

"Jason has a background as a starter, a nickel player and as a special-teams player," coach Scott Linehan said. "His full background is something that we were looking for."

BURTON MENDING

Rookie wideout Keenan Burton, who had surgery for torn knee cartilage after the season-opener, said that his recovery is "coming along on schedule" and that he could be back as early as the post-bye-week contest Oct. 12 at Washington.

Burton, a fourth-round draftee, withstood several injuries at Kentucky and wanted to give it a go this time, too. "But Coach came to me and said I'm too young in my career to fight through an injury like that," Burton said. "He was looking out for my best interests, and that made me feel good."

CADDELL RETURNS

Almost a month after he was released, wide receiver Matt Caddell has rejoined the Rams. He was signed to the practice squad Tuesday, replacing linebacker Marc Magro.

"I'm was just staying in shape and waiting on my next opportunity," said Caddell, an undrafted rookie out of Clemson who was with the Rams during training camp. "I didn't know if it was going to come with this team or another team, but I'm glad to be back in St. Louis."

RAM-BLINGS

Running back Steven Jackson (groin), defensive end James Hall (thigh), defensive end Leonard Little (hamstring) and tackle Orlando Pace (groin) were limited at practice. ... The Rams are practicing in the morning this week; previously, the Wednesday and Thursday workouts were held in the afternoon. "I went back to the schedule that I'm accustomed to," Linehan explained. "The other one didn't seem to be doing the trick."

A shout out to Matt Caddell, whom I know on a personal basis through some friends of mine. He is an undrafted rookie from ALABAMA, not CLEMSON!