RamWraith is offline Registered User

Next big rush for Faulk may lead to a job in front office

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Mar. 29 2007

Before we speculate about the next phase of Marshall Faulk's career, let's
    begin with this submission for your online discussions, your sports-bar
    debates, and your chatter around the office coffee station:

The Rams' 1999 heist of Faulk from the Colts for a No. 2 draft pick and a No. 5
    choice was the second-greatest trade in the history of St. Louis professional
    sports.

It's probably topped only by Bing Devine's famous 1964 baseball deal that
    brought Hall of Fame left fielder Lou Brock to the Cardinals from the Cubs in
    exchange for pitcher Ernie Broglio. Others may favor Whitey Herzog's move to
    secure Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith from the Padres for shortstop Garry
    Templeton, or Herzog's pawning of Ken Reitz, Leon Durham and Ty Waller to the
    Cubs for Hall of Fame closer Bruce Sutter.

And don't forget Herzog's brilliant 1981 maneuver of obtaining center fielder
    Willie McGee from the Yankees for pitcher Bob Sykes. Of course, hockey fans
    will tout Ron Caron's 1988 decision to proffer defenseman Rob Ramage and
    goaltender Rick Wamsley to Calgary for the one and only Brett Hull.

But for the second spot on my best-trades list, I go with Rams President John
    Shaw's ability to flip two draft picks for Faulk. And it's No. 2 for these five
    reasons: Faulk transformed a losing franchise; Faulk was the best player for a
    Super Bowl champion; Faulk was the top all-purpose weapon for the only NFL
    offense that produced 500 or more points for three consecutive seasons; Faulk
    made the players around him better; Faulk will be a Hall of Famer as soon as
    he's eligible for election.

And since we're talking about fantastic trades and clever personnel moves, this
    actually fits into what happens next for Faulk.

I want Faulk to become the Rams' Ozzie Newsome.

When Newsome retired from the Cleveland Browns-Baltimore Ravens in 1990,
    capping his Hall of Fame career as a tight end, he went to work in the club's
    personnel department. Newsome learned about scouting and organizing personnel
    reports, and moved up to a seat of power. Newsome started running the Ravens'
    drafts, to mostly sensational results. Newsome was named GM in 2002. He
    constructed a Super Bowl champion, and three other Ravens teams that reached
    the playoffs (in 2001, 2003 and 2006).

The Rams clearly need better direction in evaluating personnel, and the highly
    intelligent Faulk can evolve into a valuable presence at Rams Park. Faulk can
    instinctively spot talent, and he can identify warrior-like competitors. As a
    player he worked hard to learn everything to maximize his talent and sharpen
    his mental edge over an opponent. Just about everyone at Rams Park who spent
    time with him believes Faulk is the smartest guy in the room, so the Rams
    should take advantage of his skills.

Last season Faulk launched a successful TV broadcast career with the NFL
    Network. But in his heart, Faulk is still a competitor. He can't run a
    football. He can, in time, help run the Rams' football operation.

During the Super Bowl week, Faulk informed me of his goal of becoming a
    football executive with the Rams.

"We would definitely be receptive to it," Shaw said. "He's approached me about
    it. I think it's something he wants to explore, but I'm not sure of the
    timetable. He's earned great reviews for his work in TV. He can have a long
    career in television, and the job pays very well, and is relatively free of
    stress."

Shaw raises a point: Does Faulk really want to give up the cushy TV lifestyle
    to spend long and lonely days in an office at Rams Park, studying players on
    video, working the phones and reading reports?

"Marshall has options," Shaw said. "But no doubt he understands football, and
    if he wants to pursue a front-office football job, he would be an asset."

Who knows? Faulk might even be able to find defensive tackles and linebackers
    and build a good defense for the Rams.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Next big rush for Faulk may lead to a job in front office

whoa....thats all I have to say to that. That'd be awesome if he became a part of our FO and did some good things for us!!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Mar. 29 2007

The Rams clearly need better direction in evaluating personnel, and the highly
    intelligent Faulk can evolve into a valuable presence at Rams Park. Faulk can
    instinctively spot talent, and he can identify warrior-like competitors. As a
    player he worked hard to learn everything to maximize his talent and sharpen
    his mental edge over an opponent. Just about everyone at Rams Park who spent
    time with him believes Faulk is the smartest guy in the room, so the Rams
    should take advantage of his skills.

Last season Faulk launched a successful TV broadcast career with the NFL
    Network. But in his heart, Faulk is still a competitor. He can't run a
    football. He can, in time, help run the Rams' football operation.

During the Super Bowl week, Faulk informed me of his goal of becoming a
    football executive with the Rams.

"We would definitely be receptive to it," Shaw said. "He's approached me about
    it. I think it's something he wants to explore, but I'm not sure of the
    timetable. He's earned great reviews for his work in TV. He can have a long
    career in television, and the job pays very well, and is relatively free of
    stress."

Shaw raises a point: Does Faulk really want to give up the cushy TV lifestyle
    to spend long and lonely days in an office at Rams Park, studying players on
    video, working the phones and reading reports?

"Marshall has options," Shaw said. "But no doubt he understands football, and
    if he wants to pursue a front-office football job, he would be an asset."

Who knows? Faulk might even be able to find defensive tackles and linebackers
    and build a good defense for the Rams.
    Marshall Faulk is one of my favorite all time Rams. Having said that, how does Bernie know that MF can instinctively spot talent and identify warrior like competitors? I'm not trying to take anything away from MF but being an excellent player and identifying talent are 2 different animals.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The question has been asked, but I must ask it again.....Why in the world would Faulk give up his feathery soft gig on TV to deal with the "win now or die" stress of a FO. Especially a Days-Of-Our-Lives setting like Rams Park has been for a few years now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

JRoc is offline Registered User

I'd love to see Marshall back working with the Rams but in some kind of coaching capacity. With his mind for the game I think he'd be great at developing players. Having said that I too agree that it's difficult to see him leaving the stress free environment of a TV studio.

Perhaps in the future if he is looking for a new challenge he'll go into coaching. It would be amazing if he became a coach and the opportunity arose for him to work with the Rams again. Perhaps he'd even get another SB ring.

majorram is offline Registered User

I like to see Faulk on the field Coaching,,,,,thats where I would like to see the RB.........coaching the young guys coming through!!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The question has been asked, but I must ask it again.....Why in the world would Faulk give up his feathery soft gig on TV to deal with the "win now or die" stress of a FO. Especially a Days-Of-Our-Lives setting like Rams Park has been for a few years now.
    Easy, because he is a competitor and he would want the challenge that a FO job would bring with it. Imagine being responsible for drafting/trading/picking up as a free agent the man that leads your team to a Super Bowl championship as the MVP. I'll take that feeling and challenge over a TV gig any day of the week.

RealRam is offline Registered User

In the NFL Films 2003 interview with Steve Sabol (Marshall wearing orange-red shirt), Faulk is asked if he would consider coaching and his answer implies he doesn't know if he could do that -- as in not believing he's capable to coach -- out of lack of patience towards players that don't give it their all.

But just as he reconsidered playing one more year this season and decided instead to retire, perhaps he would also reconsider coaching and embrace it in the near future.

Personally, I think he feels more comfortable doing what he is presently doing at the NFL Network Channel and probably wants to further develop a TV analyst career there, which I think better suits him than a position with the Rams FO.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-29-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Content

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    Easy, because he is a competitor and he would want the challenge that a FO job would bring with it. Imagine being responsible for drafting/trading/picking up as a free agent the man that leads your team to a Super Bowl championship as the MVP. I'll take that feeling and challenge over a TV gig any day of the week.
    Maybe so, tanus. If anybody would do it, it would be Faulk. But easy-money has got to be tempting when compared to ulcer-money.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    In the NFL Films 2003 interview with Steve Sabol (Marshall wearing orange-red shirt), Faulk is asked if he would consider coaching and his answer implies he doesn't know if he could do that -- as in not believing he's capable to coach -- out of lack of patience towards players that don't give it their all.

But just as he reconsidered playing one more year this season and decided instead to retire, perhaps he would also reconsider coaching and embrace it in the near future.

Personally, I think he feels more comfortable doing what he is presently doing at the NFL Network Channel and probably wants to further develop a TV analyst career there, which I think better suits him than a position with the Rams FO.

Great points RealRam. The situation reminds me of when Magic Johnson thought he could coach the Lakers. He tried and found out that the players he had on the team weren't like the Lakers he played with. Heart and desire weren't the same and Magic couldn't accept it.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe so, tanus. If anybody would do it, it would be Faulk. But easy-money has got to be tempting when compared to ulcer-money.
    Thats definitely true that it would be tempting. And I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to stick with the much less stressful job of being on TV. Something tells me though that Marshall is too much of a competitor to "sit on the sidelines." No matter which way it goes, it is definitely going to be interesting to see the path that Marshall ends up taking. :r

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    whoa....thats all I have to say to that. That'd be awesome if he became a part of our FO and did some good things for us!!
    I'm a union guy and when the Uinon guy goes to the dark side(managment) he tends to see the light of that side, so not a lot changes......but it could happen!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It would be good to have Marshall back with the Rams. He has worked the sidelines before without having ego issues. I'll bet he misses it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blood85 is offline Registered User

I agree. I don't know if Faulk would be able to spot Talent by working in the FO. I mean look at Jordan in the NBA. I don't know if he is still working in the FO, but he didn't do very well. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having him as Part of the Rams Organization.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Faulk would be better suited as an offensive assistant.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast