throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The next perpetual debate I'm NOT looking forward to.

And yes, I know the title is grammatically incorrect. Sue me.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Some debates just refuse to go away......Warner v. Bulger; Martz: Hero or Villain; LA v. St L; etc.

One that may be on the horizon is Laurinaitis v. Maulauga. Just as with the other debates, no solid apples to apples comparison will be possible, so both sides will continue to claim victory every single week. Of course, one side will be right, and the other will be delusion. The problem will be accurate self-identification within those two groups.

The weekly debate will go something like this:

JL fan: The Rams did the right thing by drafting JL.

RM fan: No way! Did you see the hit RM put on that guy?

JL fan: RM had X tackles last week. JL had X+4.

RM fan: Yea, but RM actually knocked a guy out last week.

JL fan: On the year, RM has Y tackles, and JL has Y+45. RM has Z sacks, JL has Z+3. RM has AA defended passes, JL has AA+5 defended passes. RM has BB tackles for loss, JL has BB+8.

RM fan: Yea, but RM hit a guy so hard last week, the dude actually lost a birthday!

Just not looking forward to this one, gang.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: The next perpetual debate I'm NOT looking forward to.

Yep. I can see this one a-comin' also. Oh well sometimes stuff like this is what makes the world go 'round, or the stomach turn, you're choice.

BTW Hub I must know: How is your title grammatically incorrect? Hmmm... could it be that you ended a sentence with a preposition? Well, heck, if you can't do that then what's the world coming to?

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You're right Hub and you know what? One season doesn't make a career.
    Last edited by laram0; -05-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think its sadly gonna be inevitable..with so many members who are fans of both the Trojans & the Rams...i think its time for fans to put personal favorites aside and give the rookies our full backing...my pre-draft views on Jason Smith were well documented but now he`s a Ram..i wont mention the structure of his legs again...(well not until atleast 3 years from now..)

i think personally, both the Rams and the Bengals got the MLB that was best for them!

general counsel is offline Registered User

JL Fan: Did you see the terrific pass coverage Laurinitis had on that 3rd and 6 where he broke up the pass intended for the tight end?

Rey fan: Did you see Rey standing on the sideline on third down?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Alot will depend on whether we are winning or losing games this year. If we are winning, this debate could lose some of its appeal ..

shower beers is offline Registered User

Although I'm clearly biased, we should at least keep this discussion fair. It's not right to assume that a certain player will lead another certain player in every major defensive category before either of them have played a down in the NFL, even though a certain player is more than capable of achieving this.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Part of it though. I'm still peeved about taking Hill over Cromartie. Hopefully, JL can be better than Rey and snuff all this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Although I'm clearly biased, we should at least keep this discussion fair. It's not right to assume that a certain player will lead another certain player in every major defensive category before either of them have played a down in the NFL, even though a certain player is more than capable of achieving this.
    That's kind of the point, Shower. This, like most of our on-going debates, is a head vs. heart discussion. The head says pick the guy that is statistically better and able to spend more downs on the field. the heart says pick the guy who hits like a Mack truck, both on the field and on YouTube.

The head and the heart will never meet unless the head pick hits harder than the other guy, or the heart pick is statistically better than the other guy. So if RM is statistically better AND the bigger YouTube factor.........there is no debate.

So, you see, for the debate to even exist, my forecast (ie. a conclusion without seeing anybody on an NFL game field) has to suggest BOTH sides will play to their strengths.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i think its sadly gonna be inevitable..with so many members who are fans of both the Trojans & the Rams...i think its time for fans to put personal favorites aside and give the rookies our full backing...my pre-draft views on Jason Smith were well documented but now he`s a Ram..i wont mention the structure of his legs again...(well not until atleast 3 years from now..)

i think personally, both the Rams and the Bengals got the MLB that was best for them!
    The Rams should always be #1 in our books fellas. Laurinaitis and Rey will both be studs in the NFL, who really cares who gets more tackles/sacks each week? I'd rather see the W's. It was a win/win situation for us, and quite frankly I'll take character over habitual offenders any day.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tdog08 Guest

Rey not even playing MLB no more so it shouldnt be any comparisons

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post

the fans can put aside their personal favorites all they want... but the media would pick it up. no chance they'd let this potential perpetual debate not be fully perpetrated. (how's that for grammer Hub?! actually, its kinda fun if you say if real fast)
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -05-06-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: self indulgence

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    JL Fan: Did you see the terrific pass coverage Laurinitis had on that 3rd and 6 where he broke up the pass intended for the tight end?

Rey fan: Did you see Rey standing on the sideline on third down?
    JL Fan: I did see Rey on the sideline. Who was that cheerleader he was grinding on?

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    the fans can put aside their personal favorites all they want... but the media would pick it up. no chance they'd let this potential perpetual debate not be fully perpetrated.
    I'm guessing the media will be more intrigued by the Cushing vs Matthews vs Maualugu debate.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

First off we can't really compare them right now because as of now Rey is playing SLB which is completely different Lauranatis at MLB.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    First off we can't really compare them right now because as of now Rey is playing SLB which is completely different Lauranatis at MLB.
    You're right about that. I do think there will be comparisons based on impact and effectiveness though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast