Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: The Next Rams Head Coach

This on PETE CARROLL:

Pats fire Pete Carroll
    Coach out after team loses 6 of last 8

Posted: Monday January 03, 2000 08:14 PM

FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) -- Pete Carroll, who took over a Super Bowl team in New England after replacing Bill Parcells, was fired Monday after three seasons as Patriots coach.

There was no immediate word on a successor.

Owner Robert Kraft said in a brief news conference that the entire organization would be evaluated, with much of the speculation focusing on whether vice president of player personnel Bobby Grier could also lose his job.

The team that went to the 1997 Super Bowl under Parcells declined in each of Carroll's seasons, bottoming out with an 8-8 last-place record when it beat Baltimore 20-3 Sunday after losing six of its previous seven games.

"This is a business of accountability, and two years ago we won the division. Last year we barely made the playoffs and this year we're 8-8," Kraft said. "We need a momentum change."

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

1st Fisher is not going anywhere. They are rebuilding due to cap issues and have played far better than expected.

I see a problem that must be consider. The Rams will be 1 of probably 8 teams looking for a new HC next season. Also, the recent trend in the NFL due to rule changes is to go after offensive minded coaches. Filling up a staduim is easy if your team can field an exciting explosive offense.

Now to support this trend my 1st choice would require big money inorder to lure Charlie Wies from Notre Dame.

If he does not bite my next choice of HC would be against the trend and try to lure Greg Williams from the Redskins. ONLY BECAUSE THE DC OF THE EAGLES HAS HAD MANY CHANCES TO MOVE UP BUT HAS NOT....

IMO if you can't get these guys why would you get rid of Martz and settle for who?????

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I think Carroll could renew the GSOT
    I don't see how Carroll could renew the GSOT, he is a defensive minded coach. That offense at USC was built by Norm Chow. If you want a coach to renew the GSOT, Norm Chow would be the way to go. But any of the top candidates are going to want some power and that is not popular in Ram country.
    Sprtsmac :football:

dgr828 is offline Registered User

How 'bout Buddy Ryan. He Ran A Pretty Good Defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I think Carroll flopped in the NFL.

I believe Monte Kiffin, 62, is being paid like a head coach and has publicly stated he's not interested in being a head Coach.

You stole my post. :tongue: Kiffin is a Nebraska native [as a coach], so I've always kept an eye on him and agree that he is too old and has publicly turned down many head coaching offers. Pete Carroll would be a big mistake.

I'd be fine with Charlie Weis. However, it's been reported [before the season] that as many as 10-11 coaches could have their jobs on the line and could be fired by the end of this season. If even seven or eight coaches go, it's hard to tell who lands where, especially this early.

Bo Pelini is my darkhorse favorite for Marmie's spot. He's currently LSU's DC, has also coached as a DC at Nebraska and Oklahoma, after a stint with the Packers as LB coach. He's young, smart, spits fire, is very passionate and intense, his players love him, and [from what I've read] highly recommended by a few defensive coaches in the NFL. He only spent a year at Nebraska, but most of the fans here wanted him over Bill Callahan for Head Coach after Solich was fired.

Anyone think it's possible that the FO signs Martz to an extension and then make an Al Davis move and trade him away? [As long as Martz agrees to the deal, of course.]
    Last edited by evil disco man; -10-27-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I honestly don't think Weis is the kind of guy who goes to Notre Dame for a year only to come back to the NFL. I'm not sure you go to a college program only to stay there one year, especially given how successful he's been so far.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I read, just recently, that Charlie Weis wants in the NFL, and his contract calls for an NFL team to pay ONLY 1 Million to Notre Dame to get him.

Kiffin won't come. Carroll already flopped.

Weis - he's a hot commodity. That's the way to go.

But, the Ram's Front Office is irrational. They'll pick someone that'll be happy leaving them with plenty of power. We won't get a prominent coach. A Prominent coach would expect those guys to cede much of their control.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I read, just recently, that Charlie Weis wants in the NFL, and his contract calls for an NFL team to pay ONLY 1 Million to Notre Dame to get him.

Kiffin won't come. Carroll already flopped.

Weis - he's a hot commodity. That's the way to go.

But, the Ram's Front Office is irrational. They'll pick someone that'll be happy leaving them with plenty of power. We won't get a prominent coach. A Prominent coach would expect those guys to cede much of their control.

I get the feeling that this FO will choose the next HC based on the applicant's ability to agree with the FO more than the applicant's ability to successfully coach an NFL team......and that makes my stomach churn. If Vitt proves himself a "yes"man, then the job may be his. However, isn't he a Martz protege, which could doom him in the offseason.

Who knows, maybe Zygmunt will deem himself the only capable HC for this team. The players will trade in their helmets for briefcases. We won't win, but we always have the cap under control and our salary will consistently be well within budget. :drunk:
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-27-2005 at 12:04 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'll add another name to the list:

Mike Singletary

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If it can't be Martz, I'd like to see Jerry Gray get a shot.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'll add another name to the list:

Mike Singletary

I like the sound of that or even just as DC.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Doubtful you could lure him out of retirement.....

Jimmy Johnson

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Al Saunders...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

fleet69 is offline Registered User

Comments on some of the names I've read so far:

Monte Kiffen & Jim Johnson - both have expressed no interest in becoming head coaches & believe both have passed on interviews the past few years. Each have good things going already

Pete Carroll - agree that he's probably a better college coach & seems like he's enjoying it much more

Herm Edwards - Players coach & great with the media, but living in the NY area & seeing a lot of press on him, just not sold. Not trying to be mean, but he seems a little incompetent as head coach. Although, think he'd excel as a motivational speaker

Jeff Fisher - don't think he'd be available, but would be interested. He brings a toughness we don't seem to have

Weis - Can't see him leaving his alma mater, especially after one year. Although, one team did inquire about his by-out clause earlier this week.

Greg Williams - did fair in Buffalo as Head Coach, and built up Titans D for many years. Doing quite well in DC now. Would have to see if he's content staying there...

Al Saunders - think he's already in line for Chiefs spot, which could be as early as next year

Singletary - Very interesting. He's DC somewhere correct? Only been in that spot for a short time I believe

Think many of us agree that Defensive minded coach is the way to go. Would like to see our team get tougher. Tired of the finesse tag, can't play outdoors, etc.

Personally, I'd like to keep Martz, but that's looking worse by the day. Regardless of which direction they go, for goodness sake, keep the internal squabbles out of the media!!! Everyday there is a new headline making the whole organization look foolish.

Well, think I've babbled enough

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I get the feeling that this FO will choose the next HC based on the applicant's ability to agree with the FO more than the applicant's ability to successfully coach an NFL team......and that makes my stomach churn. If Vitt proves himself a "yes"man, then the job may be his. However, isn't he a Martz protege, which could doom him in the offseason.

Who knows, maybe Zygmunt will deem himself the only capable HC for this team. The players will trade in their helmets for briefcases. We won't win, but we always have the cap under control and our salary will consistently be well within budget. :drunk:
    Sounds like Arizona.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast