sbramfan is offline Registered User

Next Season too soon?

I am very optomistic about the future, but if I had to put money on it, I would say that next year is too soon...

This Rams team had, statistically, the easiest schedule in the entire NFL and was gashed on defense by every mediocre team out there. I would say that their offense has fallen from a top 5 offense, to a top 10 offense. Not that you couldn't show me that before Bulger left we were up there in yards, etc.., but getting out of the red zone with TD's is where I've seen the drop.

Special Teams started to make a little progress towards the end of the year, but if you were to take the 2005 team up against the Falcons that they played in the 2004 playoffs, I think the results would have been similar. They got better in some areas, but worse in others.

With the lack of talent and depth on defense, not to mention lack of a stand-out pro-bowl caliber player, this team can't improve that much next year. If they can keep Bulger healthy, they will likely look more like the 2004 team which had a bit better defense than in 2005. But 8 or 9 wins won't cut it next year with the Seahawks likely being more of a 10-6, 11-5 team.

The future is bright, but I think that there has been a lot of bad acquisitions that we are stuck with on defense and we're stuck in mediocrity until we get some money to turn over these guys for some real players on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd love to see them do some cap magic and get 2 impact players in FA on defense this offseason, but I just don't see it happening. And the draft is a gamble that every mediocre team is hoping will produce, but doesn't usually save the day.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Next Season too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    With the lack of talent and depth on defense, not to mention lack of a stand-out pro-bowl caliber player, this team can't improve that much next year.
    You are really assuming a lot don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Next Season too so on?

You are really assuming a lot don't you think?
    Actually that is exactly what I'm not doing. I'm not going to assume that any of the existing players will become extraordinary next year. And I'm also not going to assume that they have the money to get the type of impact player they need in Free Agency.

They will probably have most of the same players on defense, plus a couple hopefull draft picks to work with. So the main difference will be their coaching, which should be an improvement, but alone is not enough to make this defense good. Better, but not good.

Hodgins is offline Registered User

I agree with a lot of what you said, but remember a few things

the 04 team you expect us to resemble next year had mike martz, who pretty much single-handedly cost us the new orleans game, and a bulger injury which cost us another two games, so we were really more of an 11-5 squad.

Seattle is not going to beat pittsburgh, the afc is so far ahead of the nfc right now that any squad that can beat competition like that will have no trouble with a team like seattle who beat the likes of washington and carolina (kudos for shutting down steve smith though) meaning they will have a hangover next year

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

mh-i is offline Registered User

Actually that is exactly what I'm not doing. I'm not going to assume that any of the existing players will become extraordinary next year. And I'm also not going to assume that they have the money to get the type of impact player they need in Free Agency.

They will probably have most of the same players on defense, plus a couple hopefull draft picks to work with. So the main difference will be their coaching, which should be an improvement, but alone is not enough to make this defense good. Better, but not good.
    I agree with most of your two posts. I do however believe we will see some new faces on D because of our own free agents and injuries. I don't believe Archuleta will be back and will have to be replaced. I doubt that means Jerome Carter automatically gets penciled in. Since Furrey is suspect against the run I think it's likely that the Rams will pick up more than one safety to compete for the positions. Both Pickett and Lewis are probably gone. From a practical stand point I don't see the Rams getting in a bidding war for either guy, allthough I think Pickett showed promise this year. Is he worth 5 mil a year though? Not if that prevents us from strenghtening the team at other positions. If Coakley is done due to injuries we could see a move made to replace him. That's 5 new faces we could see on defense. At any rate I can't believe Haslett will look at film of the 2005 Rams defense and get a warm fuzzy feeling about standing pat. That just won't happen. I expect and hope for change.

thegeorge613 is offline Registered User

I think there will be some changes and I hope there will be. Defense wins championships, right?

I don't think Lewis will be back. Pickett, maybe. I doubt Coakley will be back. Claiborne, however, needs another year for evaluation, I think.

I can see them going after some DBs, maybe a safety, in the draft or free agency.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I guess it looks to me that you are assuming because we have most of the same players etc we might be better but you assume we won't be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!