Thread: Next Year

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Next Year

I'm fine with the "soon to be" hiring of Linehan, but I really think this team is going up against some serious issues next year...

Many agreed with the thread that defense seems to be the way to get it done these days. That being said, this team may need quite a bit of re-shuffling to get to where they need to be.

Problem #1. I believe that the majority of the players on the defensive side of the ball are backups, at best, on most good defensive teams. Even worse, the depth is just not there. If this defense looks even half decent with all their starters healthy, they still look like a high school team as soon as 1 player goes out. So I just don't see how this can be fixed anytime soon.

Problem #2. One formula for success is to win the turnover battle by playing good defense, and focus on running the ball. You would think the Rams have an opportunity to do a bit more of this with Steven Jackson, but the reality is that this team is built to pass the ball. The blockers are not good run blockers. There are no tight ends to bring in, and if there were, you would be putting Bruce and Curtis and MacDonald on the sideline to bring in these tight ends to run the ball. So to try to shift to more of a running game is unrealistic. And to stick with the current set up without tight ends, etc.. will not work with a big back like Steven Jackson. He will be set up to fail again next year. You can't just put in SJ where a Marshall Faulk used to play.

I'm just hoping that Linehan learned how to use Ricky Williams, as he is similar to SJ. Maybe he can find some middle ground.

bruce_wannabe Guest

Re: Next Year

i think if indeed linehan is hired that there will be a lot more running invloved than previous years... linehan in minnesota always ran the ball regardless of havinf moss, and culpepper.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Defensive talent is a concern, but I envisage that any TE we draft or sign will primarily be used as a pass catcher to free things up in the middle and create space for the run.

I think the O-line could adjust to an emphasis on the run, they just have to be asked to do it more often. Terrell looks like a bruiser and Icognito obviously doesn't mind mixing it up.

I think we should see less 4-5 WR set's than we have in the past which is a good thing.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I'm fine with the "soon to be" hiring of Linehan, but I really think this team is going up against some serious issues next year...

Many agreed with the thread that defense seems to be the way to get it done these days. That being said, this team may need quite a bit of re-shuffling to get to where they need to be.

Problem #1. I believe that the majority of the players on the defensive side of the ball are backups, at best, on most good defensive teams. Even worse, the depth is just not there. If this defense looks even half decent with all their starters healthy, they still look like a high school team as soon as 1 player goes out. So I just don't see how this can be fixed anytime soon.

I disagree. Leonard Little looked great before his brother's death. Hargrove really settled in at the end of the season. Pickett was one of the better NTs in the league this season. Tinoisamoa has the talent to be a great LB. Butler is a solid corner when he gets back. Bartell has amazing potential. Archuleta is a solid safety when healthy. We also have young talent that we havent seen much of. The jury is still out with most of the talent on that defense. It's a VERY young group.

Problem #2. One formula for success is to win the turnover battle by playing good defense, and focus on running the ball. You would think the Rams have an opportunity to do a bit more of this with Steven Jackson, but the reality is that this team is built to pass the ball. The blockers are not good run blockers. There are no tight ends to bring in, and if there were, you would be putting Bruce and Curtis and MacDonald on the sideline to bring in these tight ends to run the ball. So to try to shift to more of a running game is unrealistic. And to stick with the current set up without tight ends, etc.. will not work with a big back like Steven Jackson. He will be set up to fail again next year. You can't just put in SJ where a Marshall Faulk used to play.

Terrell and Incognito are both better run blockers than pass blockers. As well as Barron and Pace. Thats a pretty good setup for next season. Also, why does everyone say that Jackson failed. In 15 games he rushed for over 1,000 yards in his first season as a starter on a team that was decimated by injuries and that lost it's HC and offensive coordinator. Considering the circumstances, he did great. TE needs to be a addresssed and it will be in the draft. Besides, there will be a new offensive scheme next season built around Steven Jackson. I'm excited about what this team can do.

I'm just hoping that Linehan learned how to use Ricky Williams, as he is similar to SJ. Maybe he can find some middle ground.
    Just my opinion...
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Just draft an Offensive guard,then address the D.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't see how you can be so comfortable with the performance of our defensive ends 39. Little only had three or four good games all season. Hargove played better in the last two games, but he was still mediocre. If we can get a serious pass rusher, we should do it because it will automatically make the corner backs look better.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think the offense will be more balanced this season.

But a clever Linehan also likes to bedevil defenses by running the ball out of
    passing formations. He spreads the field with wideouts, loosens the defensive
    alignments, and then slams the ball inside. (It's easy to imagine Steven
    Jackson doing a lot of damage in this style of offense.)
    :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey