Saint Fanatik is offline Registered User

Question NFC South - Good For The Saints & Rams?

With the impending NFC West getting split up and the Saints going to the NFC South, do you all think that will “stunt” the growth of our teams’ rivalry? All they’ve (ESPN, Fox, etc.) been saying how this is a new and heated rivalry. Personally, I love the rivalry, although the games give me a coronary, I am sorry to see the conference split up.

I like Kurt Warner. For that matter, who can’t? The guy has one of the greatest stories in the NFL plus the guy has been through hell and back. He’s a nice guy as well. In the same breath, he scares the hell out of me as a Saints fan.

Do you all think that when our two team meet up maybe once a year AND in the playoffs, the rivalry will be as heated as it is now with the recent history?

Prediction: December 17, 2001 - Saints vs. Rams - Highest Rated Monday Night Game of 2001.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

HONEST

In all honesty....

I am now glad we splitting up. I don't think our teams could take seeing each other 2 times a year with out someone getting killed.:confused:

I see the rivalry, however it has only happened the last couple of years. To the rest of the NFL there is little respect given to Saints, Panthers and Falcons. As is how much the Rams lost over that 10 year period. Its time to start something new...you all will be missed because up until the last year the Saints had some of the best fans I knew until they won a few games and got a little taste of victory...then most became blood thirsty smack talkers.

I had a lot of respect for them because they were on the same road as the Rams for many years. Now they are no better then the in your face Ram fans.

It could turn into one of the best but there are a couple of things against it.

1) the rams and whiners will continue to bang heads and as the whiners get better, so will the games.
    2) the chances of meeting the aints in the regular season will be near nil (for a couple of years anyhoo) by that time either Martz or the mouth from the south will have moved on.

As to J-Rams point about the aint fans.

there are 2 types of aint fan. (that I have encountered)

1, the ones who know what they are talking about and can smack good.
    2, the prats who are more than likely bangwaggoners with trash cans for mouths. We have seen a few on this site but if you go the www.whodatzone.com there are loads. This type (along with a few rams fans) just have no idea of the principles behind smack talk and are not welcome on this forum. I will not have bucket talk by anyone here.

If I had a preference, I would have liked the Rams to go with the aints and dirty birds.

:mask:

RAMble On is offline Registered User
    I don’t think there will be much of a rivalry with the Saints after the split. It will be heated if we meet in the playoffs. But no more than the other non-divisional NFC teams, especially in a few years.

As far as I am concerned the deep emotions surface when we meet the Whiners so I am glad we will still be able to beat up on them twice a year. It runs very deep for me having to grow up in Northern California. Everyone loved the Whiners and hated the Southern California Rams. It was always Montana, Rice, Craig, Clark, Lott and Young on the TV. The Rams were lucky to get mentioned.

I can see why Arizona is in. People in St. Louis have no love for that franchise. Not being from St. Louis, I really don’t care either way.

I have to say that you guys know how to get me pretty worked up. I liked it better when your team was losing and the Saints fans were mellower. Now my angst is focused at coach Jimmy after his “B.S.” comments. (Oh no…………..blood pressure is raising just thinking about it………….Deep breaths…………Feeling better now):rolleyes:

I will miss the matchups especially since both teams have been getting better. I can say that I won’t miss your coach. Given the choice, I wish we could swap the Seahawks for you guys and keep the rivalry going.
    The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    What Rivalry? Am I missing something? I still don't see the rivalry between the Saints and Rams, it just isn't there.

Saint Fanatik is offline Registered User
    Fair enough. I for one have been a Saints fan forever for the same reason you all are Rams fans: loyalty. Regarding the one remark about the “smack talking Saints fans”, once a team starts winning, you will always have them come out of the woodwork, regardless of the team. Now before you shake your head, I’m pretty confident there were quite a few less Rams fans in the days of Tony Banks and Gerald Moore.

I have to argue that there is a rivalry because of all the “aint” comments. It is true that the NFL gives the Saints no respect and that respect will come with winning.

Smack talk is fun but I do believe that you do not enter ones house and disrespect their dwelling. Unless of course there is a room for that.

Thanks guys……

Saint Fanatik,

Really enjoy your posts. Wow, dug all the way back to Gerald Moore? he he

I respect your opinion on the "rivalry" issue, but honestly, true die to the wool Rams fans just don't see the rivalry yet. Hey, if you in LA want to try to establish one, be my guest. Notre Dame in college football used to be everyones rival, but they only REALLY had a USC rivalry for a long time. Same with the Rams. Over the long haul of this competition, there really hasn't been much of a spark of a rivalry till recently. I really don't consider the Saints much of a long term threat. Sorry Saint fans, that is just how I see it. No rivalry at all. The only one the Rams truly have is with the Whiners. Congrats on the win, I'll give you that. As for the rivalry, I just don't see it.

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    For the last couple of years there has been a rivalry building,mainly because the two teams themselves seem to hate each other,but before that a Rams-Saints game really wasnt a marquee match-up.The whiners have always been my most hated team,but after last year I started developing a lot of venom towards the Aints.The new divisions dont bother me.I'm sure St.Louis will have some animosity towards the Arizona Cardinals.So if the Cards ever start winning, an intense rivalry may develop there. The Rams and Saints will probably continue to dislike each other,but it probably wont be as intense.

GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!
    Last edited by Aries51; -11-01-2001 at 02:23 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

I will right now throw the gauntlet at the Saints and all their "LOYAL" fans. Here it is. The Rams probably have one of the most solid foundations for a team projecting out from now until 2004. Tell you what, win your division next year, and a playoff game ensues, can guarantee a rivalry is there. Especially with this year the way it has turned out. What a brain fart there in the 3rd Qtr. I really consider the Saints fortunate of the Rams just buckling under pressure for a moment. Better now than later, at least I can stomach a loss now, even to the Aints.

The Saints as an organization for the Rams fans point of view, haven't won any SIGNIFICANT games that meant something to the whole NFL. No NFC Championships, no big playoffs wins, which means NO SUPER BOWLS. Start winning, and the rivalry will be there. Revert back to old days, and we would look at a Saints matchup with how you look at a menu: how do you like your Saints cooked? It's up to the organization that you have put your faith and trust (not alone money) into. Win, and rivalry. Lose like normal, and who really cares about the Saints. Up to you.

mar
    mar is offline Registered User

rivalry

Originally posted by txramsfan
    What Rivalry? Am I missing something? I still don't see the rivalry between the Saints and Rams, it just isn't there.
    If there is a rivalry it is not as big as San Fran. The ***** and the Rams1 are more of a rivalry to me. And now you have to look at the interstate game, Kansas City w/ our old coach Vermile(?). I think that game is very impotant now. (although K.C. isn't in the league). As far as the the split goes we still have our share of teams to beat. Go RAMS!!

mar
    mar is offline Registered User

Re: NFC South - Good For The Saints & Rams?

Originally posted by Saint Fanatik
    With the impending NFC West getting split up and the Saints going to the NFC South, do you all think that will “stunt” the growth of our teams’ rivalry? All they’ve (ESPN, Fox, etc.) been saying how this is a new and heated rivalry. Personally, I love the rivalry, although the games give me a coronary, I am sorry to see the conference split up.

I like Kurt Warner. For that matter, who can’t? The guy has one of the greatest stories in the NFL plus the guy has been through hell and back. He’s a nice guy as well. In the same breath, he scares the hell out of me as a Saints fan.

Do you all think that when our two team meet up maybe once a year AND in the playoffs, the rivalry will be as heated as it is now with the recent history?

Prediction: December 17, 2001 - Saints vs. Rams - Highest Rated Monday Night Game of 2001.
    I really have to agree with you on some of your comments.
    1. If the Rams-Saints play every other year or couple of years, the hate rivalry would be probably to much to watch without committing harry carry. Now that would be the game of the year.

2. If the conference does split don't worry, we will respect you as a Saints fan, and the coronary's will be on both sides.

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    I for one will miss the rivalry. It helps keeps each team on their toes. As for meeting up after the split, I don't think the rivalry will diminish. Memories of games past will haunt both of them and bring fuel to the game.

By the way, thanks for the positive words about Warner. We like him too.
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

After last weeks fiasco at home against the Jets, I again will pontificate (if I spelled that right yipee. lol) that I don't consider the Saints a threat. So they beat us, so what? They are a .500 ballclub at best this year. In the NFL, you have to get up for everyone, not just what YOU may consider a rival. The Saints do not prepare themselves every week to be a contender like the Rams do. The Rams did not get any more "up" for the Saints as they had for the Eagles, Giants, or Lions. The Whiners game was more tense, more meaningful, and more enjoyable to watch as a fan than any Saints game I know of. Even the game we won at N.O. last year. Saints, what I am saying is this: you haven't proven you belong here yet. You won't prove it this year either. I hate to admit this, but the Whiners beat your tail this week, sending you three games back in the standings after the Rams whip Carolina. C-YA

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    i agree TX, i've said from training camp that the whiners are more of a threat - and less annoying.

personally, i'm glad to get rid of the the aints. the games with the new division make more sense and we still got the whiners plus the cards coming back into town. aints haven't proved anything yet, they're looking up at the wild card, let alone the division.

So the aints beat us 3 out of the past four times, big deal, only one of those games was convincing enough for me, the other two, the Rams screwed themselves. With 8 turnovers, they coulda given the Lion-down-s their first win.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    After a couple of visits to the Saints forum I have to agree with txramsfan.I think the so-called rivalry is far more important to the Saints and their fans than it is to us.They really seem to hate us over there,but I think that stems from bitterness.Overall, the Rams have been a far more successful organization than the Saints could ever hope to be.I have to admit that the Saints have gotten under my skin lately,but I think I have been more pissed about the Rams performances against the Saints than anything else.The Whiners, on the other hand,are far more dangerous this year due to their relatively easy schedule.So this Sunday I have to pull for the lesser of the two evils:The Saints.Even though,I also have a feeling the Whiners will win.Our next game against the Whiners will be huge!I wish I could be there to see it in person.

GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!
    Last edited by Aries51; -11-07-2001 at 05:12 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!