Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MauiRam

Thread: NFC West: Doormats no longer ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

NFC West: Doormats no longer ..

Jason LaCanfora
    June 20th 2012

I can't help but think that the worst is over for the NFC West, a division that has long been a convenient punchline and on-field punching bag. The football has been downright awful by and large, but the long-bashed division is ready to rise again, at least to some extent. Seattle and Arizona improved greatly, particularly on defense, as the 2011 season went on without many noticing, and I believe in Sam Bradford.

The Rams might be located much farther west than their present locale soon enough (hello, Los Angeles?), and that would likely improve their means to compete long-term. I expect them to make strides in the present, too. The 2012 schedule won't be nearly as daunting as it was a year ago.

The ***** might not be nearly as dominant, and even if they are, I love the infrastructure the Rams have put together, which goes beyond just head coach Jeff Fisher. General manager Les Snead, with help from Kevin Demoff in the front office, have made sage moves, including the genius trade that sent RG3 to Washington. They have loaded up on assets and still have the ability to pair Bradford with a stud running back and a few complementary receiving options.

The Rams are getting there, and in this division could make a quick leap. Bradford has the potential in 2012 to perform like Matt Stafford did a year ago, though admittedly he doesn't have anything close to a Megatron or a Pettigrew in St. Louis.

In the Pacific Northwest, I expect Matt Flynn to run away with Seattle's starting job and shine much brighter than recently dealt quarterbacks like Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer. The improvement of the defense has been duly noted.

The Cards have a stout defense as well, and despite their quarterback quandary, with a healthy Beanie Wells in the backfield and the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, this has the makings of a bounce-back year.

For the first time in a while, there are multiple, legitimate candidates for ascendancy in this division. The winner of the NFC West just might be the team that represents the NFC in the Super Bowl, though I write this feeling as if the key members of the ***** will be challenged to improve on anything they accomplished in 2011, from Alex Smith to Frank Gore to Jim Harbaugh. Expectations will be very different this time around, and I suspect the vibe around that team will be different as well.

Call it a hunch. But I look for the West to rise again, in an unusual fashion. And we all know that some of the thrills to come will derive from a source we could have never imagined. It's that kind of league. That's part of why we love it so much.
    GROUND DOG 39 and RuffRams like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: NFC West: Doormats no longer ..

An optimistic read, but this is still a mediocre division, at best. No one is losing sleep at the prospect of facing Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis. There are no Bradys, Rodgers, Petersons, Mannings or Roethlisbergers to worry about.

Anyway, I hope everyone except for the Rams still sucks- and that SF proves last season was an aberration.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the whiners come back to the pack this year. The defense is the real deal, the offense is still unproven. They will not fly under the radar this year teams will be up for them every week.
    They where in a lot of close games last year and pulled out wins.

1 2 3 4 OT Total
    Cowboys 0 7 7 10 3 27
    ***** 0 14 7 3 0 24

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 0 0 3 10 13
    Bengals 3 0 0 5 8

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 0 3 14 7 24
    Eagles 7 13 3 0 23

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 0 12 3 10 25
    Lions 10 0 3 6 10 19

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 0 13 3 3 19
    Redskins 0 3 0 8 11

1 2 3 4 Total
    Giants 3 3 7 7 20
    ***** 3 6 3 15 27

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 3 9 7 0 19
    Cardinals 0 7 7 7 21

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 0 3 10 6 19
    Seahawks 7 3 0 7 17

1 2 3 4 Total
    ***** 7 13 7 7 34
    Rams 7 0 3 17 27

Getting off to a good start is key for any team, the whiners first five games are not easy.

Green Bay Packers on the road
    Lions home
    Minnesota Vikings on the road
    New York Jets on the road
    New York Giants home

In the first five games they play the last two super bowl winners. They have the Lions (coming off a beat down by the Rams) in game two. The Jets at their home is not a gimme. The Vikes are the only easy game in the first five.

They will not run away with the west IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=MauiRam;429626]Jason LaCanfora
    The Rams might be located much farther west than their present locale soon enough (hello, Los Angeles?), and that would likely improve their means to compete long-term.QUOTE]

Let's get over this dark cloud by winning now. Everything in society is fragmented including my RAMS and my CLAN. I'm weary.
    Let the hype begin.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There are no Bradys, Rodgers, Petersons, Mannings or Roethlisbergers to worry about.

True, but the other side of that is ... Brady's window is closing fast, Mannings is closing faster, AP imo will not ever be the same back after that injury and Rodgers .... meh. Wouldn't trade Sam for him, no way. Honestly, I wouldn't trade any of our stars for those guys. I know that's a blindly loyal Rams fan post ... but that's my weakness. Maybe teams should fear us. That'd be great ... been a long time.

I still like to believe a team and its chemistry will trump individual talent almost every time.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    An optimistic read, but this is still a mediocre division, at best. No one is losing sleep at the prospect of facing Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis. There are no Bradys, Rodgers, Petersons, Mannings or Roethlisbergers to worry about.

Anyway, I hope everyone except for the Rams still sucks- and that SF proves last season was an aberration.
    Im sure many teams are wary of facing the Seahawks in Seattle. They arguably have the best home team advantage in football.

The Rams will be a team to fear soon enough, if anything I think our D will DOMINATE this year. Our D is actually pretty well rounded with the offseason moves by the new regime.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Im sure many teams are wary of facing the Seahawks in Seattle. They arguably have the best home team advantage in football.

The Rams will be a team to fear soon enough, if anything I think our D will DOMINATE this year. Our D is actually pretty well rounded with the offseason moves by the new regime.
    I concur the Rams D should be solid this year I expect them to break the top 10 if not better

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I hope the rest of the NFL underestimates the NFC West like some of our ClanRam members. Our Rams have their work cut out for them.