Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFC West forecast - Sports Central

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals 9-7
    Seattle Seahawks 7-9
    St. Louis Rams 5-11
    San Francisco ***** 4-10

And the Winner is...

Arizona, I'd like to introduce you to the playoffs ... playoffs, this is Arizona. As hard to believe as it is, the Cardinals should finally get back to the postseason in 2005. The NFC West is to the NFL as PBS is to cable; undeniably a part of it, but no one really wants to watch. As such, the Cardinals are the hot-riser while the others are either stuck in neutral or barreling recklessly toward the edge of a cliff in reverse.

The Seahawks have officially missed their window as they look to rework a disappointing defensive unit. The Rams are a tired bunch, who may well put on a show or two but will ultimately fall victim to terrible coaching decisions and a confused, haphazard defensive scheme. I won't say much more about the *****, other than to say that they will be on the way up in a year or two with Mike Nolan now running the show, but as for now, not so much.

What Were They Thinking?

I could fill a filing cabinet with stories about St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz here. Chris Chandler, coach's challenges, missed timeout calls, fourth-down conversion attempts — the decision's have mostly been quite mind-numbing. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't use this space to question the benching of future Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk. I fully understand that Marshall is a realist and knows that his days are numbered. I am equally aware of the talent young Steven Jackson possesses.

Faulk, as a team player, will likely take the party line and reiterate whenever a microphone is in his face that he just wants to do what is best for the team, but if you know anything about Faulk, you quickly will realize that this is a huge mistake for the chemistry of that team. Almost certainly, Faulk will be motivated to give his all and should perform to the top of his ability. This is good. But what isn't good is the dissension a move like this creates. An "old guard" and "new guard" will develop within the locker room, some of whom question Faulk's role, others who maintain that a talent such as Jackson should be used as often as possible.

All the while, Martz will be calling far too many passing plays. The sad thing is this all could have been avoided if Martz just would have not opened his rather substantial pie hole in early May and would have made a similar announcement after training camps began. As innocuous as that premature announcement may have seemed, you can quote me come November — this is the beginning of the end in St. Louis. I'm talking unmitigated disaster here.

Surprise, Surprise

Seattle is a franchise in transition. As solid a job as they did in the offseason in terms of player retention, at least one onlooker (yours truly) sees a team that is running in place. QB Matt Hasselbeck may be putting up some very nice statistics, but he isn't winning games for the Seahawks. Shaun Alexander is miserable in the northwest, doesn't respect his coach, and is a three-game losing streak away from talking his way into pariah status in Seattle. The receiving corps seemingly gets thinner and thinner each year. While many still maintain that this team is ready to take the next step in their progression into the game's elite, I just don't see it that way.

Playoff Picture

Division winners: Philadelphia, Minnesota, Atlanta, Arizona
    Wildcard entrants: Carolina, Dallas

Round 1: Minnesota over Carolina, Dallas over Arizona
    Round 2: Atlanta over Dallas, Philadelphia over Minnesota
    NFC Championship Game: Atlanta over Philadelphia
    Super Bowl: Atlanta over Cincinnati

It's as easy as that. Atlanta takes the title away from Philadelphia and then handles Cincinnati in Super Bowl XL to bring Michael Vick his first NFL title. Questions and comments are welcomed, except from you bitter Cowboy fans, because y'all just don't make any sense. As for the rest of you, fire away!

I'm not one to make a bold prediction and then bury it under some stack of articles in hopes of it just fading into cyberspace. What's written here is binding as far as accountability goes. As a journalist, I have a certain standard to live up to and intend to stand firmly behind my printed words.

Unless, of course, I'm wrong. But that's why pencils have erasers.

Re: NFC West forecast - Sports Central

I dont know who this guy is but man, this is one to place in the cabinet and bring out at the playoffs.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The guy has the BENGALS as the AFC rep in the big game...nothing more needs to be said.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

5-11 What? This Guy Has No Ideal What The Hell He Is Talking About,the Bengals In The Super Bowl,who Is This Guy?

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I'm confused as to which NFL this guy is referencing. The only thing he said that makes any sense in the real world is that the Cardinals will be improved. Anyone know who this guy is and what planet he's from?

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This guy is obviously a fiction writer from Cincinnati.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

His predictions make sense...if he was watching the NFL in bizarro world. In a world where losing gets you to the Super Bowl. No way the Rams and Hawks both finish below 500, maybe the Cards get to 8 wins but they didn't improve that much, and the Rams certainly did not regress by 3 wins. The Hawks will get around 9-11 wins where the Rams get 8-10, the Cards 6-9, and the eNiners get 4-6. That's the way that the division will look this year. I guess that the author of this travesty of a story and I do agree on one thing, the Niners will suck this year.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Cincy in the Superbowl!!!!!

I'm sorry, that's just the funniest thing I have seen in ages....

Methinks this guy just needs to say no to-------->
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This guy obviously smoked WAAAAAYYYYY too much crack. From the sound of it, I'd say the crack he was smoking belonged to some dead wino....and it was asscrack!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Dez said it best. Save this one for the postseason. It'll be great to look back on.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Guy's & gal's i think alot of people are taking the Cards to lightly!...i think the've improved alot. Hey in 99', no one gave us a chance either! Look what happened! All it takes in sports or anything alse is to believe in yourself and your teamates! Good things will follow!.............I for one can atest to that!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Guy's & gal's i think alot of people are taking the Cards to lightly!
    I don't think anyone's taking the Cardinals lightly. But there's a difference between that and picking them to go 9-7 and win the West while the Rams and Seahawks flounder.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

1. Rams 12-4
    2. Hawk 9-7
    3. Cards 9-7
    4. ******* 3-13 only because of the video otherwise 1-15
    5. Sorry Rawkhrdr this is the way its gonna happen.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:11 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RamTime Guest

What we have here is unsigned creative writing. Or rubbish without representation.
    I was actually worried until I saw his superbowl pick then I realized it was just a toddler playing with papa’s keyboard.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

you can quote me come November — this is the beginning of the end in St. Louis. I'm talking unmitigated disaster here.

You'll be hearing from our lawyer...AvengerRam!!! He eats dirt bag journalists for lunch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast