Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NFC West Penalties -

Cool NFC West Penalties -

Week 1

Whiners - 11 - 85 yards
    Seahags - 9 - 99 yards
    Rams - 7 - 59 yards
    Cards - 6 - 68 yards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Week 2

Whiners - 12 for 121 yards
    SeaHags - 10 - 84 yards
    Rams - 7 for 53 yards
    Cards - 7 for 40 yards
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total penalties to date

Whiners 23 for 206 yards
    Seahags 19 for 183 yards
    Rams 14 for 112 yards
    Cards 13 for 108 yards

Will you all stop going on about how BAD our Rams are!
    ramsanddodgers likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFC West Penalties -

Interesting indeed, interesting. Nothing like listening to the numbers!

On the other hand, sometimes it's the timing / field position of a penalty, even one that ruins a key situation. But we all know the Rams are working on reducing these.
    laram0 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The penalty flags made the Hawks/Niners game almost unwatchable.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Interestingly enough, Falcons were also 7/53.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I felt the same way. It made me think that our penalty level isn't any worse than this. I think the overall level of flags has increased too much throughout the league. Its almost like these insidious fines that are being levied for hits by players. While I agree that the excessive violence should be reined in, this is football. I feel like Goodell is trying to micromanage the game.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
    It made me think that our penalty level isn't any worse than this. I think the overall level of flags has increased too much throughout the league. It's almost like these insidious fines that are being levied for hits by players. While I agree that the excessive violence should be reined in, this is football. I feel like Goodell is trying to micromanage the game.

Go Rams!
    So true. No doubt there are more and more yellow flags flying onto the battlefield these days.

It is tiring sometimes, silly, especially when the emphasis is on "protecting the player". As you said, this is football, REAL, pro, football. Hopefully a balance will be reached between what players feel is right for them and what the game is and should be, even if we don't regress to the old school ways of savage and brutal hits (remember when even the NFL had its "Greatest Hits" videos as part of their NFL Films repertoire?)...

But again, it is the penalty that takes the team out from reaching good field position or FG range, a 3rd and 2 turned into a 3rd and 12; the penalty that allows the opponent to advance right after a terrific sack, etc., etc. Those costly infractions, the ones that hurt. Not to mention the ones that can COST A GAME.

Let's keep working on making the refs stay put w/those yellow markers against us. The fewer, the better!

GO RAMS!

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I felt the same way. It made me think that our penalty level isn't any worse than this. I think the overall level of flags has increased too much throughout the league. Its almost like these insidious fines that are being levied for hits by players. While I agree that the excessive violence should be reined in, this is football. I feel like Goodell is trying to micromanage the game.

Go Rams!
    Ive disagreed since day 1 of all the protect this, that and the other thing malarky for this game.
    Any of us who have played the game for an extended period of time know the risks involved. The way that Goodell has dumbed down the game is terrible. At some point this game is no longer going to be tackle football.
    I havent seen other violent sports put a stop to good old fashioned, hard nosed play IE Hockey, IE Soccer (which has the a higher percenage of serious injury that our Football BTW).
    IMO once you have the ball your a marked man. When I was a defender, I wanted to make sure that ball carrier shyed away from me, thereby lessening hsi effectiveness.
    Nowadays Goodell wants players passing the Grey Poupon to each other as they are about to tackle or block someone.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I thought is was the young over hyped elite QBs play that made it unwatchable.

C. Kaepernick 13/28 127 YDS 3 INT

R. Wilson 8/19 142 YDS I TD 1 INT

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I thought is was the young over hyped elite QBs play that made it unwatchable.

C. Kaepernick 13/28 127 YDS 3 INT

R. Wilson 8/19 142 YDS I TD 1 INT
    CRUSH those two "elite" QBs! Penalties or otherwise!

It's not only to keep harping on the Rams penalties situation, whether we have many or whether they are costly -- although a penalty, by definition, is costly. But I still have a bone to pick when it comes to a few penalties that should not belong in the NFL or should be applied differently.

Considering the nature of the game and just how many Pop Warner, high school, and collegiate games are played in the U.S. every year -- which add to thousands of games across the nation -- it really is amazing that the number of serious injuries is as low as it is (see reference at end of first article below).

It's no wonder NFL commissioner R. Goodell and his safety committees are so keenly involved in trying to make the game of football a safer sports activity! It must be difficult to know where to draw the lines sometimes. Besides, law suites in pro sports are apparently on the increase, almost as the order of the day, at least from what I see going on in the sports communities of North America.

Getting back to the NFL penalties issue, I suppose that an "accidental / involuntary" type of penalty should be created along with a "flagrant / negligent" type of penalty to counter balance. 'Involuntary' as it was when differentiating the two kinds of face mask infraction; one was, a) accidental / involuntary which was punished with a 5 yard charge; the other was, b) blatant / negligent / voluntary and carried a 15 yard penalizing result.

So should some of those very questionable "roughing the passer" penalties be classified. Everyone knows (especially the NFL itself) that it is almost impossible for an oncoming pass rusher to redirect his hit on a QB, a player he is suppose to hit! And hit hard! Or for a defender in the secondary to stop his intent to hit a receiver, and for a fraction of a second, analyze trajectory angle, height of impact, whether to hit with shoulder or forearm, get his own helmet out of the equation, etc.

That's why many fans from 32 teams gripe'n grumble on account of some of these yellow flags, they're absurd!

Kevin Greene performing CPR on Joe Montana right after he leveled him.

Nowadays it has become so much more difficult for football players to gauge all these variable just to avoid a penalty! Just think of Deacon Jones, perhaps the best DE in the history of the NFL -- even recognized by the league itself -- clearly describing in a recorded interview his mentality of hitting an opponent:

"I wanted to put as much fear into his heart and pain on his back as I possibly could. ...So each time he came over there I tried to tear his dame head off."

Ha! Today, statements like these alone would prompt the league to fine the player!

Again, as MDE here said, "this is football". Nobody truly wants to break an opponent's back and leave him paralyzed or, smash into a helmet to see which head inside will suffer the worst concussion. But ALL players involved, including the regulators in the NFL, NCAA, etc., must come to terms about ... yes, it's said before, the reality and nature of the game. It is a violent, very hard game.

In NASCAR, IHRA, F1 auto racing there are accidents and deaths and while every attempt is made to safeguard the drivers, pit crews and even the spectators, the fact of the matter is that there are 2,000 lb. vehicles flying (at times literally) at 200 or 300 mph and that, in and of itself, is bound to create the occasional accident which may even turn into tragedy. There are many other sports that also convey serious risks, from hockey to bull riding, bicycle racing, basketball, you name it. Why there's even a health care branch called sports medicine.

Following is a sad example of a tragic experience, albeit very rare considering the odds.

High School Player Dies After Helmet-to-Helmet Hit

by Jeff Royer | September 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    High School Sports

As the NFL continues to crack down on vicious helmet-to-helmet hits, a new reminder of the grave consequences has come to light.

According to the Buffalo News, a high school football player died on Monday from injuries sustained in a Friday night game following a hit to the helmet. Sixteen-year-old running back Damon Janes of New York was hit during the third quarter of a game between Brocton High School and rivals Portville. Janes was reportedly able to get to the sidelines on his own following the hit, but collapsed shortly thereafter, prompting the cancellation of the game. He was rushed to a Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, but never regained consciousness.

Word of Janes' death came as a shock to the community, including the hundreds of students and teammates who had gathered at Brocton High School Sunday night for a vigil. According to Deadspin, many area residents also expressed sympathy for the student who made the fatal tackle, which was described as a "clean, accidental hit."

In a statement, Janes’ parents expressed "gratitude to those who have supported and prayed for Damon and his family."

Portville football coach Gary Swetland spoke out on the opposing team’s behalf, stating, "Our heart goes out to the Janes family. It’s just a tragic, tragic circumstance. Our players are saddened, our families are saddened, our school is saddened, our coaches are saddened, our officials are saddened, bus drivers, everybody. There is no one who isn't desperately saddened by this."

Per Deadspin, the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at UNC reports that 25 high school players have died playing football from 2003-2012, while 78 suffered irreversible brain damage and 71 received "catastrophic" cervical injuries.

From the Pop Warner website...

SAFETY FIRST:

Did you know that Pop Warner football is safer than soccer? Pop Warner football has 12% fewer injuries per capita among 5-15 year olds than organized soccer in the same age range! (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, NEISS*).

To see an interesting statistical and comparative data from the CDC on Nonfatal Traumatic Brain Injuries among different sports, copy and paste to go to:

CDC.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6039a1.htm#tab2.

The extra point.

As any and every team in the NFL, the Rams are working on eliminating some penalties. But one needs to consider, are they the mental mistake type of penalties, i.e., false starts, offsides, illegal formation, ineligible receiver*, illegal block during a kick return, 12 men on field, etc., that really need discipline and practice to avoid, or are they instead the involuntary kind, those that have to do with an almost unavoidable problem, the physical aspect of making contact with an opponent ... key word being contact and still manage to "hit correctly".

Yet contact is the name of the game, sweet, vicious contact: K-POW!

Hopefully, the paradox of administering penalties within such a field of violence and vicious hits will continue to be studied and determined in a better, more logical manner (like trying to make MMA a softer sport). For today's football players it must be a limbo to have to listen and learn from the NFL's game rules while at the same time perform as expected by themselves, by the team, and by the fans in a sport so physically harsh and aggressive.

Here's to the Rams success in finding the right balance. CRUSH the enemy!

"Roughing the passer" ... you bet! But owners had to impose their need to protect their inve$tment.

<- Notice QB taps out w/left hand.

*.- I still remember how Amendola's terrific, superb 80 yard play landing inside the Whiners five yard line last year in OT was nullified due to an "ineligible receiver" penalty! ...Aaarggh! It still hurts.

**.- National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, a database and research system on injuries.

PS: Below, 1st image. I use this one to explain why football players wear an athletic cup. Bears QB Mike Tomczak tried but KG was ready! WHAM! Clic on images...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NFC West Penalties --kevin-greene8a.jpg   NFC West Penalties --1-ahh-jenkins-vs-davis-2012.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-18-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: PS / 'ineligible'
    ramsanddodgers likes this.

Below, some terrific hits, brutal hits - others shown are merely spectacular. I don't care for the music though.

A number of these are now considered "penalties", e.g., hitting a defenseless player - bah! Maybe if a blow was to a player that had lost his helmet during the play, then he should be considered 'defenseless', otherwise, he's fair game!

I hope this year the Rams attacks generate more of these hits against the opponent. BIG TIME.

WARNING: Some hits are on Rams but that's okay. Rams headbutt hard ... for fun!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Week 1

Whiners - 11 - 85 yards
    Seahags - 9 - 99 yards
    Rams - 7 - 59 yards
    Cards - 6 - 68 yards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Week 2

Whiners - 12 for 121 yards
    SeaHags - 10 - 84 yards
    Rams - 7 for 53 yards
    Cards - 7 for 40 yards
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total penalties to date

Whiners 23 for 206 yards
    Seahags 19 for 183 yards
    Rams 14 for 112 yards
    Cards 13 for 108 yards

Ok, ok, Dez - I'll try and remember this the next time we kill a drive with a false start, taunting, or personal foul. It is nice to see that the whiners actually do get penalized. Now that I think of it - where did you get these numbers? Are you sure you didn't make these up? Seems like every time we play the whiners, the calls along with non-calls go their way ..

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Love the pics, RR. I like those colors so much more than what we are forced to cheer for now, too.

I'm not sure about something though. Was the receiver really illegible or was he ineligible?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Agreed, Dez!

I love my Rams and I rarely (extremely rarely) fail to be wearing something without a Rams logo on it.

I figured out a loooong time ago that as much as it pains me when the Rams don't fare well it really does not impact my life or the ability to pay my bills.

That being said, I tend to ignore overfly negative discussions and I limit my use of the rose-colored glasses.

I've seen a lot of good Rams teams and I've seen a lot of bad Ram's teams. I'm hoping we are seeing the start of a "good cycle" that lasts many years. I'd be ecstatic if they could win the division 7 years in a row, again.
    macrammer likes this.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsanddodgers View Post
    I'm not sure about something though. Was the receiver really illegible or was he ineligible?
    LOL!

Good question - I mean, eligible question! I've corrected the illegible penalty recount on Amendola of that game last year, a real heartbreaker. Thx R&D.

Agh! That 80 yard play vs SF in OT, if not erased, would have set up an almost certain win!

THAT'S the kind of penalty that kills a drive or, in this case, a win. Even if it's the only penalty.

Last edited by RealRam; -09-18-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast