Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By OldSchoolRamFan
  • 1 Post By MauiRam

Thread: NFC West tough test for Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos to pass in 2014

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

NFC West tough test for Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos to pass in 2014

By Mike Klis
    04/13/2014 12:01:00 AM MDT (Denver Post)

Get ready, Peyton. By year's end, it will seem the Broncos are an extension of the NFC West.

They played, to the nation's lament, the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII in February. They will open their preseason schedule in August by playing Seattle and the San Francisco *****.

And when the NFL announces its regular-season schedule Thursday, the Broncos will have games this fall against the Seahawks, *****, Arizona Cardinals and St. Louis Rams.

Three games in 10 months against the Seahawks? Instead of getting fitted for a right-handed glove this year, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning might want try on an old-fashioned rib protector.

The NFC West is the baddest defensive division around.

"Yeah, it's fun," said Arizona coach Bruce Arians. "Everybody's got one."

"The talk used to be about the old black-and-blue division," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said last month. "There's a little bit of that feeling about it. That's built into the coaches, so the teams are like that. It's a great style of football. It's a great division."

In scoring defense last season, the NFC West's four teams ranked first (Seattle), third (San Francisco), seventh (Arizona) and 13th (St. Louis). And the Rams are the most ferocious at getting after the quarterback — they have produced a league-leading 105 sacks the past two years.

Had this year's Denver schedule come out in 2010, the Broncos could have skipped their offseason training program that begins next week and still finished 13-3 with another No. 1 playoff seed.

That year, the NFC West was the league's softest mark. No team in the division finished better than 7-9 and the defenses ranked 12th, 16th, 25th and 30th in points allowed.

But the 2010 season was Carroll's first year taking over a Seattle team that was coming off a 5-11 season, one year before Jim Harbaugh turned around the *****, two years before Jeff Fisher brought respectability to St. Louis and three years before Arians turned Arizona into a legitimate contender.

"I didn't know we were considered soft," Carroll said. "I never did accept that, thought if that was out there.

"It is a very competitive division for sure. Everybody plays good, tough, aggressive defense. And basically everybody wants to run the football. There's a real mentality about it."

I'm beginning to think the reason Manning has only one Super Bowl title ring is because the pass-heavy offense he operates doesn't complement a rip-snorting, bruising defense that always seems to play well in the postseason.

Not one of the top eight scoring teams in NFL history won the Super Bowl. The all-time highest scoring team — Manning's 2013 Broncos — were destroyed from the opening snap in the most recent Super Bowl by the Seahawks.

"I think any team that gets one-dimensional, gets stuck in a one-dimensional situation against one of those defenses, has no chance," Arians said when asked about Seattle's 43-8 pounding of the Broncos on Feb. 2 at the Meadowlands. "With the early breaks that happened in the ballgame, you could see it happen real fast. Seattle and San Francisco, you have to be multidimensional. You can't let them tee off and go."

I'm torn about this. I don't think the Broncos should suddenly make running back Montee Ball the focal point of their offense. Even against the defensive- oriented NFC West, even with all of their impressive defensive acquisitions last month, the Broncos' primary strength lies with Manning.

He will just need a little more protection reinforcement.

A little? More like a lot! I look forward to watching those matchups, I'll be a Denver fan for three of them!
    Randart likes this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: NFC West tough test for Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos to pass in 2014

I wonder why they stopped at "top 8"....actually the top 9 scoring teams in the NFL have not won the Super Bowl...and number 10 did... the Rams!!
    Randart likes this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Here is a poll question to ask:

Will Peyton Manning finish the season?

Its a question Denver better be asking themselves. Yes the NFC West from tooth-to-tail of all its constituent teams have elite defenses, and that doesn't sound like something you want to pit your aging QB against. But add in two other factors, the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders who are just because they are in the same division, don't like Denver; further of the AFC West, the Chiefs have a defense mimicking the NFC West. And second, because they where in the Super Bowl, Denver, walks into the season already a marketed man.

So I ask the poll question again, does P. Manning survive the 2014 season?

I wager is 30% chance he DOES survive. Any QB is one hit from being out a season, but add in age, a gauntlet of bruiser defenses, and extra motivation--Denver would be better off investing in a really good 2nd string QB.

As it is P. Manning is a flat-footed slow QB tailor made for Brockers/Long/Quinn--and that's just the Rams and one game to fret over

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Here is a poll question to ask:

Will Peyton Manning finish the season?

Its a question Denver better be asking themselves. Yes the NFC West from tooth-to-tail of all its constituent teams have elite defenses, and that doesn't sound like something you want to pit your aging QB against. But add in two other factors, the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders who are just because they are in the same division, don't like Denver; further of the AFC West, the Chiefs have a defense mimicking the NFC West. And second, because they where in the Super Bowl, Denver, walks into the season already a marketed man.

So I ask the poll question again, does P. Manning survive the 2014 season?

I wager is 30% chance he DOES survive. Any QB is one hit from being out a season, but add in age, a gauntlet of bruiser defenses, and extra motivation--Denver would be better off investing in a really good 2nd string QB.

As it is P. Manning is a flat-footed slow QB tailor made for Brockers/Long/Quinn--and that's just the Rams and one game to fret over
    Certainly a fair question, and one no doubt the Broncos are trying to find a positive answer for. That said, The Seahawks were healthy, and the Broncs were not.

Excerpted from Mike Klis (The Denver Post)

If the Seattle Seahawks played the Super Bowl without left tackle Russell Okung, cornerback and best defensive player Richard Sherman, safety Earl Thomas, defensive end/tackle Michael Bennett, defensive ends Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons and center Max Unger, would they have beat the Broncos?

That’s essentially what the Broncos had to do as they played without left tackle Ryan Clady, top defensive back Chris Harris, safety Rahim Moore, best pass rusher Von Miller, defensive end/tackle Derek Wolfe, defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson and center Dan Koppen/J.D. Walton.

Having Ryan Clady back should help. How much? It surely will be interesting to watch when the Rams front four square off against Peyton and crew - Whiners, Hawks and Cards will be fun too. It will be interesting to see who Denver targets in round one on May 8th ..
    Randart likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If the Seattle Seahawks played the Super Bowl without left tackle Russell Okung, cornerback and best defensive player Richard Sherman, safety Earl Thomas, defensive end/tackle Michael Bennett, defensive ends Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons and center Max Unger, would they have beat the Broncos?

So minus nearly their entire DEFENSE...hmmm...OK I'll buy that the Broncos would have faired better in the Super Bowl.

Since imitations is the best flattery, noticed Denver has taken steps in FA to shore up their defense--not sure if Denver has made any moves on offense. But what I am sure of is other AFC playoff contenders are smiling the Broncos and not them have to run that gauntlet of defenses

Randart is offline Registered User

Well as to the preseason games, Peyton better not play much if at all. Let the backups and a rookie or two play those and have fun with them. Most vets should be sitting in those things to let the utes play and show what they can do to prepare for the cuts to come. Simple enough, that leaves 4 games Peyton has to deal with the NFC West. As some have said I hope they are healthy on the O-Line and would not be a bad idea to draft a big full back or blocking TE. Even if you only use them in the nasty games like those 4 will be. Better to give Peyton some extra protection than to see the guy get creamed again! Would be nice if the Broncos can whip up on the Sea Hags as pay back for the SB they lost. Now that would make me smile, I hate to see Pete Carrol cheering and happy! He is so funny when he looks worried and upset... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    ! Would be nice if the Broncos can whip up on the Sea Hags as pay back for the SB they lost. Now that would make me smile, I hate to see Pete Carrol cheering and happy! He is so funny when he looks worried and upset... LOL
    No funnier than the Whiner's Hargrouch .. Would love to see some payback. I wonder which NFC West teams they will be playing at Mile High? Hopefully it will be the Whiners and Hags.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    No funnier than the Whiner's Hargrouch .. Would love to see some payback. I wonder which NFC West teams they will be playing at Mile High? Hopefully it will be the Whiners and Hags.
    I believe this is set by the 'new formula', but if it isn't, my money is on the Donkeys having home field against the RAMS and Tards, and road games against the 49Whiners and SChickens. Just to give the 49Whiners and the SCickens a better chance to win those games.

gap