ramhard is offline Registered User

NFL.com on the Rams

I don't usually listen to the guys on NFL.com but they have a clip with Warren Sapp and somebody else talking about the Rams. Rather than the usual laughter they make two good points. The first is the Rams have a power running back but have draft long lean tackles (Barron and Smith) and while I know Smith is supposed to be good in the run game, they make a point that right now the OL is not set up to be a power running team. Secondly, they note that Chris Long would be better on the left side than the right due to the top LT being the dominant blockers and he does have the athletic fluidity or length to get by those guys.

Interesting.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: NFL.com on the Rams

Wow. What they say is true though.

But we have so much damn money flowing into that line, we have to figure something out.

As for Long, I think they are right. But on this line, you play in all four spots. However, since Little is an even smaller DE, we have to put Long on the other side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

maineram is offline Registered User

Maybe if the staff get's away from the line rotation game we could start to be a bit more consistent. Any news who's starting for Ritchie ??? Should be Barron, Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Smith

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Maybe if the staff get's away from the line rotation game we could start to be a bit more consistent. Any news who's starting for Ritchie ??? Should be Barron, Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Smith
    I agree with you on the rotation experiment Rick, a set combination needs to be implemented for some consistency. Sounds like you're right about the starters on the line:

As expected, Adam Goldberg was at RG with the first-team offense in the absence of Richie Incognito, who is out with a foot injury. Alex Barron was at LT and rookie Jason Smith at RT.

Mark Setterstrom got a few first-team reps at LG.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree with the point on Long. He's good against the run and more likely to beat right tackles when pass rushing. It would make sense to put him on the left side of the defense.

I only halfway agree with the offensive tackles point. Jason Smith might be lean, but that doesn't mean he isn't an effective run blocker. Barron does seem to be more of a finesse player (less suited for power running).

Also, just to add to the discussion, Football Outsiders has stats on which direction teams run, and 52% of ours are listed as "mid/guard" with 14% going left (left tackle or left end) and 34% going right (right tackle or right end). With Barron and Bell on the left side, I guess that's not too surprising.